Wilderness Logics Night Owl
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9.6
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Daisy Chains

Night Owl Part 2

This is part two of my Wilderness Logics Night Owl Review: The Backyard Hang

First thing I want to mention here is not so much about the NO but Whoopie slings. They are very cool, light weight, adjustable etc....but I am switching them out for descending rings and straps right away. To me the ring and strap suspension is just easier to adjust and much faster to set up.

After some fiddling around with the suspension and messing about with the ridge line I finally got the comfortable lay that my NO had in my basement. True the ridge line did not slip or anything but it still needed adjustment for some reason when I got to the yard. More than likely it was that the trees were at a more typical hanging distance where the hanging points in my basement are unrealistically close. I realize that the SRL should keep the sag consistent but going from about 12 foot to around 20 feet has to at least affect the tension on the ridge line and there for seemed to mess up my lay position.

It took quite a bit of trial and error before it felt right (I am really finicky and will probably continue to mess with the ridge line length for a while yet). Once I did however, ahhh it was good. I think I have figured out the reason I slide right into position. Forgive me if this is already common knowledge but down the center lengthwise, the NO has a bit of a "ridge" that vanishes mid way down the length before reappearing at the other end. If you were to lie on the ridge, you would find yourself in a nice upright position good for reading and such. To sleep shift your head left a little and legs right and you will slide off that ridge and down into a flat "valley" on the typical diagonal. Hope that makes sense.

Sleeping in my NO....after the kids went to bed and my wife was too tired to roll her eyes at me for sleeping in the yard, I snuck out into the darkness. The sky was clear, with a bright moon. The temp was 43 degrees Fahrenheit and steady, the winds were 10-15 miles per hour gusting to 25. As you will see in the photos, I had an experimental UQ attached and my sleeping bag of choice for the evening was my North Face Bighorn 20*. I used my Gear Guide tarp in an A-Frame configuration with a single ridge line and staked out on four corners. I used no pad of any kind. For clothing I was wearing a pair of mid-weight hiking socks, sweatpants, a pullover fleece and a fleece cap.

Once I wrestled myself into my bag and got it straightened out I found that I could lay comfortably in a number of positions. Obviously I was comfy lying on my back but found it comfortable to lie on either side and could do so stretched out or in a more "fetal" position. I found myself comfortable also in a half way position between back and side. Getting in and out to answer the call of nature was no problem.

It took a little longer than usual to fall asleep. We live in a somewhat typical suburban neighborhood so there are houses nearby and therefore people. It is absolutely amazing how a rabbit hopping through dry leaves sounds like a person walking around. We have just over an acre lot and it is heavily wooded where most of the remainder of the community is largely without trees. So every deer, rabbit, fox, owl raccoon and opossum makes refuge in our little patch of woods. The coyotes come through too but last night they were all howling on the golf course across the street so I had that going for me. Once I finally got used to all the noise, I fell into a very comfortable and deep sleep.

Warmth.....In a effort to stay on topic I won't go into too much detail about my UQ (I will post in the appropriate forum). I will just mention that the UQ I used is simply a double layer fleece with an opening in one end so I can try different types of insulation inside it. Last night I used it with no additional insulation and was plenty warm all night with no CBS at all.

The WL NO gets a definite thumbs up from me. From the service, to the quick delivery to the terrific quality you cannot beat it.

Please post questions as I am happy to address them best I can.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night/Lite Owls
    Tarp
    WL-TP/OMW/BF
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ x3
    Suspension
    Dutch-n-Whopies
    Images
    nice review man. is your ridge line about 110"?

Hammock
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9.6
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Daisy Chains
    Quote Originally Posted by flatline View Post
    nice review man. is your ridge line about 110"?
    Thanks Flatline. And yes after much fooling around I ended up at 110" like you said. I tried the extremes first just to get an idea of how much sag it needed. It needs less sag than my GT that's for sure. 110" comes out to around the magic 83% I think where my GT is way less than than percentage...more like 79%. After sleeping in the NO I climbed into my GT to compare wow there is no comparison the NO beats it hands down man!

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night/Lite Owls
    Tarp
    WL-TP/OMW/BF
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ x3
    Suspension
    Dutch-n-Whopies
    Images
    nice pix too, i'm digin' your UQ.
    i made a loop in my UQ that i run the tail of the foot/head box cords thru. it kinda stabilizes the UQ position. the loop is about 10" from the end on the foot/head sides.
    i don't know that it needs it, but it's cold weather piece of mind.
    later,
    bob

Hammock
    SLD SL, WBBB XLC, TTTG
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    AHE, HG
    Suspension
    Various
    Thanks for the review. I have just ordered a Lite Owl and I sould get it this week. I can't wait. I will use an adjustable SRL I purchased from Whoopie Slings. I will start out at 110". I hope it works out as good as your NO did for you.

Hammock
    TC jungle, HB triple L Owl, TTTM
    Tarp
    Claytor Diamond
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Webbing

How much are the head and foot boxes helping

Hi,

Thanks for the review and images, my lite owl is still winging its way towards me in Australia (hope it doesn't get tired halfway over the Pacific)

Now that you've had a chance to hang the owl hammock properly, what do you think of the drawstring head and foot box idea.

I have a Hammock Bliss triple which is reasonably comfortable use ridge line with to help get the correct sag. But seem to end up with a fair bit of excess cloth flopping about is a nuisance in this hot weather the last thing you need is more cloth around you

Hammock
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9.6
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Daisy Chains
    Quote Originally Posted by I-NT View Post
    Hi,

Thanks for the review and images, my lite owl is still winging its way towards me in Australia (hope it doesn't get tired halfway over the Pacific)

Now that you've had a chance to hang the owl hammock properly, what do you think of the drawstring head and foot box idea.

I have a Hammock Bliss triple which is reasonably comfortable use ridge line with to help get the correct sag. But seem to end up with a fair bit of excess cloth flopping about is a nuisance in this hot weather the last thing you need is more cloth around you
    The drawstring does cut down on the wall of fabric and definitely tightens it so there is little to no "flapping". On the left side near my head, there is really no excess fabric at all so it does have a much more open feel than my GT which seems to have excess on both sides. For car camping or short backpacking trips I am considering a really small fan to hang from my ridgeline. I am a very warm sleeper so regardless of the excess material I will be sweating if it is above 65 fahrenheit.

BTW...I sent you a PM last week...or at least I intended to send one....check your account...see if it's there. Mainly just questions about Australia and such.

Hammock
    TC jungle, HB triple L Owl, TTTM
    Tarp
    Claytor Diamond
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Webbing

Lite Owl post

Hi CampDavid,

Read your message and left a reply. Hope you are able to access it I still don't know all the ins and outs of using the forums facilities.

Once again your analysis of the owl hammock is encouraging, seems to tick most of the boxes for what I need a hammock. Hopefully I'll find my lite owl is comfortable is you're finding your hammock.

A picture is worth 1000 words see attached a few thousand words worth of images. My local area, one-day you'll get you wish and be able to travel to my part of the world I be happy to show you round
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl , WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    Oldman Winter
    Insulation
    WL TQ , HG UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies / Dutch
    Images
    Dang! Now I want to move to Australia with my Lite Owl.......Thanks for sharing! Thats one place I have wanted to see first hand.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9.6
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Daisy Chains
    Quote Originally Posted by I-NT View Post
    Hi CampDavid,

Read your message and left a reply. Hope you are able to access it I still don't know all the ins and outs of using the forums facilities.

Once again your analysis of the owl hammock is encouraging, seems to tick most of the boxes for what I need a hammock. Hopefully I'll find my lite owl is comfortable is you're finding your hammock.

A picture is worth 1000 words see attached a few thousand words worth of images. My local area, one-day you'll get you wish and be able to travel to my part of the world I be happy to show you round
    Man I can't thank you enough for the pictures. Spectacular! I am saving them to show some friends for sure. It really does look beautiful there. Be ready because when I do make it down there I am going to take you up on that offer.

Be sure to let me know how you like your LO.

• + New Posts