wbbb
    Tarp
    tapdole/noah 12
    Insulation
    jarbidge/new river
    Suspension
    whoopies & straps

Delaware Water Gap area AT hike suggestions

Couple buddies and I will be doing a small section of AT in a couple weeks. We want to start somewhere in PA south of Delaware Water Gap and end in NJ near Culver's Gap. Going to use 2 cars and we have Friday, Saturday and Sunday to hike/camp.

Any suggestions on entry point and parking on the PA side, and similarly parking/exit in NJ? Is camping in NJ only in designated campling areas, or is stealth off the AT ok?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris K View Post
    Couple buddies and I will be doing a small section of AT in a couple weeks. We want to start somewhere in PA south of Delaware Water Gap and end in NJ near Culver's Gap. Going to use 2 cars and we have Friday, Saturday and Sunday to hike/camp.

Any suggestions on entry point and parking on the PA side, and similarly parking/exit in NJ? Is camping in NJ only in designated campling areas, or is stealth off the AT ok?
    I did the I-80 to Raccoon Ridge section a couple of weeks ago. When you are in Worthington State Forest you must camp at the designated campsite about five miles in. There's a custodian that patrols the trail looking for stealth hikers. I ran into him three times after leaving Sunfish Pond.

Once you get out of Worthington and into Delaware Water Gap (federal land), you can camp 50 ft. off the trail but no more than 100 ft.

Hammock
    wbbb
    Tarp
    tapdole/noah 12
    Insulation
    jarbidge/new river
    Suspension
    whoopies & straps
    Thanks Silvr. Yes I did see your post after searching for Delaware Water Gap. Did you end up parking at the NJ side at Dunnfield?

Stockton, New Jersey (along the Delaware River)
    Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird
    Tarp
    HG-4SCCCFT/WBSF
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/JRB MWUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies, DW baby
    Depending on what kind of mileage you would like to accomplish, you could start out in Wind Gap, Pa. which is off Rt. 33. There is a small parking area there where the trail go under the Rt. 33 overpass. It is about 16 miles to the Gap. Excellent hanging spots atop Mt. Minsi, and great views for a sunrise. From the Gap, its about 27 or 28 miles to Rt. 206, Culver's Gap. This is a really beautiful section on NJ to hike. My experience with the State Rangers regarding hanging hammocks has always been positive. They do insure that straps are being used, so no damage is done to the trees. With that being said, between the Water Gap and Millbrook-Blairstown Road, there are no AT shelters, but camping is available along the trail in the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area which begins about 7 miles north of the Gap. There is parking in Culver's Gap on Rt. 206. Also, hit the side trail to Buttermilk Falls. Well worth the effort. Remember...post pics!!
    "Surround yourself with the best people you can find, delegate authority, and don't interfere."- RONALD REAGAN

"There is new life in the soil for every man. There is healing in the trees for tired minds and for our overburdened spirits, there is strength in the hills, if only we will lift up our eyes. Remember that nature is your great restorer." - CALVIN COOLIDGE

My Backpacking Site

Hammock
    wbbb
    Tarp
    tapdole/noah 12
    Insulation
    jarbidge/new river
    Suspension
    whoopies & straps
    Thanks SoundWitness. Looking do 10 to 15 miles per day. I was thinking about Wind Gap but it may be a bit too long for 3 days and 1 newb hiker/camper.

Is there overnight parking at Buttermilk Falls area off Walpack Road? Was thinking this could be a decent exit point.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Thanks Silvr. Yes I did see your post after searching for Delaware Water Gap. Did you end up parking at the NJ side at Dunnfield?
    That's where I parked.

Hammock
    11' Mutton Chop
    Tarp
    Camo Cuben Palace
    Insulation
    Loco Libre!
    Suspension
    Straps and Slings
    Images
    From Wind Gap to Kirkridge Shelter (and water) it's 9.2 miles but very rocky. I did that with my 13 year old daughter, so you big boys should be OK with it.

Then the next leg to the backpacker campsite before Sunfish Pond is 11.1 miles.

The third leg could then go 9.1 to Millbrook-Blairstown Rd.

Check out the latest reports of vandalism at the Wind Gap parking area. I've heard things over the years.
    perrito

"If a man speaks in the woods, and there is no woman there to hear, is he still wrong?"

Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird
    Tarp
    HG-4SCCCFT/WBSF
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/JRB MWUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies, DW baby
    Thanks SoundWitness. Looking do 10 to 15 miles per day. I was thinking about Wind Gap but it may be a bit too long for 3 days and 1 newb hiker/camper.

Is there overnight parking at Buttermilk Falls area off Walpack Road? Was thinking this could be a decent exit point.
    Agreed. It's an aggressive pace, and north of Wind Gap is still pretty rocky.

The only parking I'm aware of is on Blue Mountain Lakes Road, which is just south of Buttermilk Falls, maybe 3 miles or so.. If you have time to hit the BM Falls, then do so. The falls is on a blue blazed trail.
    "Surround yourself with the best people you can find, delegate authority, and don't interfere."- RONALD REAGAN

"There is new life in the soil for every man. There is healing in the trees for tired minds and for our overburdened spirits, there is strength in the hills, if only we will lift up our eyes. Remember that nature is your great restorer." - CALVIN COOLIDGE

My Backpacking Site

Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird
    Tarp
    HG-4SCCCFT/WBSF
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/JRB MWUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies, DW baby
    Quote Originally Posted by perrito View Post
    From Wind Gap to Kirkridge Shelter (and water) it's 9.2 miles but very rocky. I did that with my 13 year old daughter, so you big boys should be OK with it.

Then the next leg to the backpacker campsite before Sunfish Pond is 11.1 miles.

The third leg could then go 9.1 to Millbrook-Blairstown Rd.

Check out the latest reports of vandalism at the Wind Gap parking area. I've heard things over the years.
    As I have as well. The parking is very popular with area hikers, and heavily traveled. I haven't parked there, so I don't have first hand knowledge.

My Backpacking Site

Hammock
    wbbb
    Tarp
    tapdole/noah 12
    Insulation
    jarbidge/new river
    Suspension
    whoopies & straps
    Any outfitters or shuttle services in the Gap area? May consider only taking 1 car if I can secure a shuttle. Park at or near Culvers Gap/Rt 206 and get shuttle to I-80 Gap area?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast