Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

thoughts on BMBH and tarps

BH users- what is your best way of dealing with the spreader bar/tarp contact issue?

Other than just using a high wide pitch- not acceptable in severe weather, I am wondering what is the best approach. One thing I do is remove the bars when I am not in the hammock. That way the bars only contact briefly until I can get in and cause sag. Another thought is using the "Baker Hut" pitch, to provide maximum wind block on one side. But, I am not positive this will provide adequate coverage on the other side in severe weather, or if wind shifts? Any thoughts on this? Finally, one of the "tarp tents"? But would that solve the bar/tarp contact issues?

And, is this really even an issue? Should I be worried about the "padded" ends of the spreader bars contacting the tarp when I am not in the hammock? or, if the wind is slamming the tarp into the hammock, even if I am in the hammock? Is this likely to cause wear on the tarp or poke a hole in it? Has any body actually had any wear issues?

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    I added this feature to my JRB 11x10 cat tarp. Gives me just enough extra room so I'm not squeezing in and out of my JRB bridge so much. Thanks Grizz.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...bridge+hammock

I also use cutout tiny doughnut shaped pieces of closed cell foam and attach them to each end of my spreader bars. Probably dont need them but I feel better knowing their on.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    I bought lightweight tent poles from questoutfitters. 0.344" diameter nanolights. Two sections that make up one 36" pole weigh together 1.15 oz.
    You could also use hiking poles here if you carry them...save just over $5 and an ounce, and have one less thing to carry in your pack. Of course, you'd have to take them down for dayhikes if you do a basecamp, which kind of defeats the purpose. But for a long trip it would work!
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FanaticFringer View Post
    I added this feature to my JRB 11x10 cat tarp. Gives me just enough extra room so I'm not squeezing in and out of my JRB bridge so much. Thanks Grizz.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...bridge+hammock

I also use cutout tiny doughnut shaped pieces of closed cell foam and attach them to each end of my spreader bars. Probably dont need them but I feel better knowing their on.
    Yep, that pole would certainly solve the problem. That cut out foam might also be all that is needed, if even anything is needed. It is not actually like the contact bothers me, it is just concern about possible excess wear on the tarp.

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    i pitch my DIY bridge very close to the ground, so the UQ is just inches above*, and take the tarp all the way down. this works well for coverage. my tarp is 11 long by 10 wide. sides are about 8' and hammock is 6' long.
    the only drawback, i cannot use my Dipsy snubber tensioners this way but I stay dry.
    also makes it easy to sit, exit and enter the hammock. (and reach things on the ground, like water)

*you may have to experiment, due to stretch and sag if applicable

in favorable weather however, i like the "porch" mode:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeinfhaz View Post
    i pitch my DIY bridge very close to the ground, so the UQ is just inches above*, and take the tarp all the way down. this works well for coverage. my tarp is 11 long by 10 wide. sides are about 8' and hammock is 6' long.
    the only drawback, i cannot use my Dipsy snubber tensioners this way but I stay dry.
    also makes it easy to sit, exit and enter the hammock. (and reach things on the ground, like water)

*you may have to experiment, due to stretch and sag if applicable

I really like the way you have made the triangles at each end long. Very good idea. Less stress by far. Good pitch too. Mule
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeinfhaz View Post

That porch mode is great when weather permits. And a Baker Hut appoach makes tarp/bar contact a non-issue. I set it up once, a bad storm came, all stayed dry. It just seems a bit risky. Especially if wind shifted. Has anybody used the Baker hut much? Maybe the Jacks?

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    a couple of thoughts...

with rounded edges on the spreaders, I haven't seen any wear on my tarps from the occasional rubbing. Part of that is surely due to the rounding, I think some would also be due to the fact that the bars are never in exactly the same place on different hangs.

One of the reasons I put a fully silnylon bottom on my latest hammock sock is for protection from side-blown rain/snow that comes under the edge of the tarp. From that point of view it isn't so critical to bring the tarp sides all the way to the ground.

Grizz

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    That porch mode is great when weather permits. And a Baker Hut appoach makes tarp/bar contact a non-issue. I set it up once, a bad storm came, all stayed dry. It just seems a bit risky. Especially if wind shifted. Has anybody used the Baker hut much? Maybe the Jacks?
    BB58, et al,

The Baker hut pitch works well, even in rain with a good site location.... I've used it several times and twice in rain.... maybe some mist but dry by morning.

Alternative to the wide "A" there are mid point tie outs on the 10 foot sides so you can pitch the wide "A" as a barn shape.... This works well for storms and easily clears the spreadedr bars.... If your site is on a contour the up hill side will often reach the ground in the barn pitch.... At this point I often raise the down hill side for a great eastern view, sunrise, deer, turkey etc.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    BB58, et al,

The Baker hut pitch works well, even in rain with a good site location.... I've used it several times and twice in rain.... maybe some mist but dry by morning.

Alternative to the wide "A" there are mid point tie outs on the 10 foot sides so you can pitch the wide "A" as a barn shape.... This works well for storms and easily clears the spreadedr bars.... If your site is on a contour the up hill side will often reach the ground in the barn pitch.... At this point I often raise the down hill side for a great eastern view, sunrise, deer, turkey etc.

Pan
    Thanks, Pan. I had been wondering about those extra tie outs for this purpose. I will have to experiment with that. I had used those tie outs with a hiking pole for the Baker hut approach.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast