Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    I have been thinking of trying this with the Equinox poncho which is 108" long.
    How do the bungees for the poncho attach to the hammock suspension to make them adjustable? Is it just a simple prussic?
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    JRB univeral
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 4
    Suspension
    Beetle buckles
    Hmm, the bungees to not really attach to the hammock at all. Not necessarily that is. I always put the ponchos up as a seperate entity altogether. They can be rigged as an "hooc," for sleeping on the ground, in a hammock, or just for resting under in the rain during a lunch break while hiking. You can also rig them at standing height as a rain fly for a kitchen area or work space in the field, like any tarp.
    I always snapped together the two ponchos, bunjeed out the four corners and the two combined middle grommets and then bunjeed the hoods to a high point. Much like hammocks, they work best where there are trees around. The bunjees just hook into the existing grommets on the military ponchos. I have never had a grommet pull out. I then run the bunjees around a tree and hook it to itself. I always carried two lengths of bunjee, long and sort of medium. Both skinny. Do nto tie the bunjees, you will NEVER get them untied. I also carried some 550 cord for the occasional spot where a bunjee just would not work. Usually this would be with the hood and needing to loop the 550 over a branch and hoist a bit.
    In the usual set up, both hoods are "peaked" but be sure one poncho is rigged lower than the other and arrainged so that water will run off without running back under the snap together. You get used to doing this.
    They can also be snapped together and set up like a "pup tent." You just need two walking sticks and some stakes. In this set up you have to tie the hoods to an extra stake and pull them taught to the side.
    Both the "hooch" set up and the "pup tent" set up can be raised off the ground and placed over a hammock. I have used both and liked them. There is a LOT of room under two ponchos and they are sturdy and tend to blend in well. It depends on your terrain but, for most of North America I would opt for Woodland cammo or the newer Marpat. Bear in mind that there is a "top" and a "bottom" to the ponchos material. The bottom is the side with the rope drawstrings on it and the stiching is faced toward this side as well. I have no idea what the draw strings are for. I NEVER used them while actually wearing a poncho and never found a use for them for anything else but they are there. If they are on top, you have the wrong side up and the non-waterproof side facing up. FYI.
    One other tip, I used to use "ranger bands" (big rubber bands easiest made by cutting up and old bicycle tire inner tube) to stow my ponchos, and a lot of other gear in my pack. Fold your ponchos in half until you have a short, narrow shape and then roll this up. Secure it with a "ranger band" and you will have a compact little packet to place in an outer pocket of your rucksack or pack.
    Have fun man.
    Old Dominion Hangers
    KM4COF
    VA-4th Annual NOVA Hang-Nov 6-8 PWFP

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC
    Tarp
    WarBonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator 0*
    Suspension
    Arrowhead whoopie
    On my hammock it's like a bungie loop with a toggle that would go through the grommit on the poncho.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    On my hammock it's like a bungie loop with a toggle that would go through the grommit on the poncho.
    And the bungie loop attaches to the hammock suspension line, right? Larksheaded?

Hammock
    DIY camo 330D
    Tarp
    DIY Ogees
    Insulation
    Costco down throw
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Passinthru View Post
    And the bungie loop attaches to the hammock suspension line, right? Larksheaded?
    in the video, no...they attach to a couple hardware pieces on the hammock, the angled things you see when he set it up..... you COULD do away with the hardware tabs and use prussic knots IF the bungie loops are smaller diameter than hammock suspension. This would be a great use of those Dutch hardware things if you do not have such hardware.

Here is my version with the 8x6 tarp/shelter, since I don't have sticks long enough to carve, I used 4 pieces of old fiberglass tent poles and put 4 of those L tent stakes in their ends, this provided me with a quick way to attach them to the shelter and doesn't depend on using guy lines to the ground... BUT I've found a problem with this sort of set up...namely that of WIND>.......if its not tied down somewhere, it WILL catch the wind and rotate like a kite.....leading to all sorts of profanities being uttered..... so if its too windy, better to just stake the corners down into the ground and leave the pole sections in the pack.

DSCN1777.jpgDSCN1776.jpgDSCN1775.jpgDSCN1774.jpg

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC
    Tarp
    WarBonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator 0*
    Suspension
    Arrowhead whoopie
    Here is a picture of the hang line on the hammock I have. There is nothing else on the hang line other than this stuff (appears to be a regular nylon rope).

It's my understanding that the toggle goes in the center grommet on a poncho on both sides. Rubber washer is the drip disc.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Well, I'm still not getting it. I get the toggles thru the grommets on the poncho but I haven't figured out the attachment to the hammock suspension. Maybe it doesn't matter since I have 1" webbing suspension so what works with line may not work with straps. If the weather ever gets better I'll play with it a little.

Hammock
    Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    KAQ, UGQ
    Well, I'm still not getting it. I get the toggles thru the grommets on the poncho but I haven't figured out the attachment to the hammock suspension. Maybe it doesn't matter since I have 1" webbing suspension so what works with line may not work with straps. If the weather ever gets better I'll play with it a little.
    I think that the metal part is there to help keep tension on the tarp when you get in the hammock. When you watch the video they flip when you put the poncho on and bend the suspension lines. When you lay in the hammock they flip back pulling tighter on the poncho.

Hammock
    DIY camo 330D
    Tarp
    DIY Ogees
    Insulation
    Costco down throw
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Here is something that may work excellent for your poncho lines to 1" webbing suspension, YMMV. (I used Quick Links to hold my ridge line AND tarp lines..)
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-pcs-tactic...-/271402382401

it mounts to 1" webbing at 4 points, any of the 4 slots really...and from the looks of it, is basically like a tri-glide unit, and the friction of the webbing keeps it in place when woven....yet leaves the D-ring portion free to swivel any which way.... doesn't seem to have a high load limit, should be OK for tarp lines...

OR you can get a section of 1" strap sewn to a D-ring and then to a tri-glide tab and then weave your webbing through it.(probably cheaper...)

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by CamoDeafie82 View Post
    OR you can get a section of 1" strap sewn to a D-ring and then to a tri-glide tab and then weave your webbing through it.(probably cheaper...)
    Excellent!! I've got a couple of these around here somewhere. I'll give it a try.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast