WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing

Big Decision

Hello all, I am the pround owner of a WBRR. The quality of this piece of gear is amazing. I have owned it for about 8 nonths I think and used it about 8-10 times. I bought the spindrift for it and it is really great at how it holds more heat in. I bought the Lynx UQ, again the quality, fit and finish is second to none.

Here is my delima: I am a side sleeper and I cannot sleep on my side in my WBRR. I have tried everything and because of the width of my shoulders it just does not work. I am considering selling all of it to fund the purchase of the WBBB XLC. Is this a stupid desicion? I have to much going on in 2014 to buy the BB outright, I have to raise the money some other way. I wonder if I will regret this?

I do not have anyone anywhere near me that I know of to try the XLC so I guess I just have to pull the trigger. Worst case it does not work for me either and I go back to the ground, that would suck. What do you guys think? I have learned a lot here from everyone, looking for some advice. Thanks in advance.
    "We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker.
    It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions." - Ronald Reagan

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Do you get a tax refund this year? Maybe you could wait till then if you do,,and make your purchases and decisions? Or go to a hang near by and maybe try somebody's out if they have one there? What ever you do,,either setup is very re-saleable on the forum. And one more suggestion. Have you tried a parachute material made hammock? They are somewhat stretchy material and a lot of side sleepers love them over the ripstop material. You could get a single layered one pretty cheap and just try it out to see if it works.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fiveonomo View Post
    Hello all, I am the pround owner of a WBRR. The quality of this piece of gear is amazing. I have owned it for about 8 nonths I think and used it about 8-10 times. I bought the spindrift for it and it is really great at how it holds more heat in. I bought the Lynx UQ, again the quality, fit and finish is second to none.

Here is my delima: I am a side sleeper and I cannot sleep on my side in my WBRR. I have tried everything and because of the width of my shoulders it just does not work. I am considering selling all of it to fund the purchase of the WBBB XLC. Is this a stupid desicion? I have to much going on in 2014 to buy the BB outright, I have to raise the money some other way. I wonder if I will regret this?

I do not have anyone anywhere near me that I know of to try the XLC so I guess I just have to pull the trigger. Worst case it does not work for me either and I go back to the ground, that would suck. What do you guys think? I have learned a lot here from everyone, looking for some advice. Thanks in advance.
    Man I'm confused. I always thought peeps bought bridge hammocks so they could sleep better on their side and stomachs?
    I am a side sleeper and have only used gathered end hammocks never tried a bridge.

I would try a simple DIY 11x60 gatherend in your basement just to see if you can fall asleep in any hammock.
    There are many who find hammocks very comfortable to lay in but can't fall asleep.

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Ok, first thing, group hangs. Someone is bound to have an XLC. Tough time of year for group hangs except for the intrepid few. Even so, gotta be some hangers in the Richmond area. Spring will find many more gatherings a driveable distance from you.

Side sleeping ina gathered end, I do it plenty but it ends up being more of a 3/4 side sleep. Being completely on yiur side puts a lot of pressure on your shoulder and if you are near the head end, the gathering of the fabric is more firm there.

If you are on a good diagonal, and by this I mean more of a diagonal than just being a little off center, feet in the foot box, your shoulder will be closer to the midpoint of the hammock and the fabric will give a bit more than if you were at the head end.

This is where the XLC is nice to have, being 11ft long, you can slide to the foot end a bit, shift out wide on the diagonal and roll up on your shoulder nicely. Spent my early morning lounging that way just this morning.

I would council paying attention to fabric weight, my 1.7/1.9 is pretty stiff compared to the 1.7/1.7 ripstop or a double 1.1 that felt silky smooth.

Yeah, the XLC is a few bucks, but if you use it plenty, for sure worth the investment. And you will have no problem selling current setup if you want. Though I would keep both if possible to compare comfort side by side.

Best of luck.

That was my issue with the RR too. Awesome back lay but just not deep or wide enough for side sleep. If you really like the bridge style I think the JRB bridge was better for side sleep. I eventually went back to a gathered end and sleep better on my side.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Thanks everyone for your input. As usual it is very helpful and I am really leaning towards selling my stuff and starting over with the XLC.
    "We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker.
    It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions." - Ronald Reagan

Hammock
    DIY 11 footers
    Tarp
    Chinook
    Insulation
    AHE and GoLite
    Suspension
    Webbing cinch
    Images
    Thanks everyone for your input. As usual it is very helpful and I am really leaning towards selling my stuff and starting over with the XLC.
    Yeah man, I sold my RR/Spindrift setup to fund a warmer gathered end setup....

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Sold it all today and ordered a WBBB XLC and extras to go with it.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Man I'm confused. I always thought peeps bought bridge hammocks so they could sleep better on their side and stomachs?
    I am a side sleeper and have only used gathered end hammocks never tried a bridge.

I would try a simple DIY 11x60 gatherend in your basement just to see if you can fall asleep in any hammock.
    There are many who find hammocks very comfortable to lay in but can't fall asleep.
    Quote Originally Posted by cfi on the fly View Post
    That was my issue with the RR too. Awesome back lay but just not deep or wide enough for side sleep. If you really like the bridge style I think the JRB bridge was better for side sleep. I eventually went back to a gathered end and sleep better on my side.
    Sold it all today and ordered a WBBB XLC and extras to go with it.
    Well doesn't matter now, either the WBBB XLC will work or it won't. Me, I can side sleep just fine in my BB and a few others also. But I am interested in what has come up in this thread. Maybe I need to start a new thread?

I have absolutely no trouble side sleeping in either of my JRB bridges, one of which is deeper than the other, except maybe for pulling my legs up very far into fetal. Side sleeping is one of their strong points. But I did have some difficulties in my RR even with the spreader bar extension left out. Admittedly, last time I was out things came together better and I felt pretty good, pretty stable, even on my side. So it was improving but I did not get to test it further.

But from all of the initial reviews on the WBRR, I felt I was the only one with that issue, the only one who felt like there might be a couple of ways in which the JRBs might have a strong point or 2 compared with the WBRR. Now looking at this thread, it looks to me like there may be others out there who noticed the same issues, related to side sleeping.

I for sure- except for the fetal thing in any bridge hammock-have no side issues with the JRBs, most especially the older models. With it, and even the UL version(not as deep) I can lean very comfortably and securely back into the side of the hammock, which is fully covered with the UQ.

Are other folks seeing this difference? (But again, let me emphasize I was feeling much more secure last time out with the RR, though still not a match for the BMBH in that regard. But better. Previously I felt I could easily roll out of the RR when on my side. Probably couldn't, but it just felt that way. Until this thread, I figured it was just me.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Well doesn't matter now, either the WBBB XLC will work or it won't. Me, I can side sleep just fine in my BB and a few others also. But I am interested in what has come up in this thread. Maybe I need to start a new thread?

I have absolutely no trouble side sleeping in either of my JRB bridges, one of which is deeper than the other, except maybe for pulling my legs up very far into fetal. Side sleeping is one of their strong points. But I did have some difficulties in my RR even with the spreader bar extension left out. Admittedly, last time I was out things came together better and I felt pretty good, pretty stable, even on my side. So it was improving but I did not get to test it further.

But from all of the initial reviews on the WBRR, I felt I was the only one with that issue, the only one who felt like there might be a couple of ways in which the JRBs might have a strong point or 2 compared with the WBRR. Now looking at this thread, it looks to me like there may be others out there who noticed the same issues, related to side sleeping.

I for sure- except for the fetal thing in any bridge hammock-have no side issues with the JRBs, most especially the older models. With it, and even the UL version(not as deep) I can lean very comfortably and securely back into the side of the hammock, which is fully covered with the UQ.

Are other folks seeing this difference? (But again, let me emphasize I was feeling much more secure last time out with the RR, though still not a match for the BMBH in that regard. But better. Previously I felt I could easily roll out of the RR when on my side. Probably couldn't, but it just felt that way. Until this thread, I figured it was just me.
    Hi BB, With the title of this thread it might not get many comments regarding your question. If not i'd ask in a new thread.

I just bought a BMBH UL so I will be able to give you my feedback very soon. I only side sleep so we will see. If had the slightest feeling I would flip out of the hammock when on my side I would never be able to go to sleep.

Not directing this comment at the OP but in general I sometimes have to question the new hammock owners setup. Most of the time we don't get to see that unless detailed picts are posted.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast