Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Metolius Crash Buckles?

Has anyone used these in a support system? Has anyone gotten a spec sheet for them or anything? thanks!
    http://www.metoliusclimbing.com/crash_buckle.html

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Welcome to the forum.

That's the first time I've seen that particular buckle. Very interesting. I wish there were more info (weight, etc).
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Thank you! Yeah, I spent a while looking for machined aluminum buckles, but I couldn't even find the JRB triglides while searching. I happened across these. They use these on their bouldering pads, but in the description, all they say is that they're "unbreakable" ...I've e-mailed them for specs, we'll see if they send it back.

Images
    those aren't meant for holding bodyweight. they mean "unbreakable" when used in the application you'd normally use their plastic counterpart. (non weight bearing).

that hook is where it would break. it is metal though, so who knows, it might be strong enough to hold bodyweight, but it's not "unbreakable" in that sense of the word.

well I figured that. But I'm working on gettin information from them. They look to be as thick as JRB's triglides, and they're made from aluminum, it just doesn't specify what kind. And i'm not sure, but I believe the arched slide would put more friction force on the webbing...I'm new to all this, so I'm just workin from assumptions here...any other thoughts would be appreciated!
    I wouldnt' actually use the hook to bear weight, but it could be handy to hanging gear?

Images
    well, how would you not use the hook? the 2 slots are for the adjustable portion of the webbing, you'd have to attach it to the hammock somehow. i suppose you coukld use it like a jrb triglide, but i was thinking more like a ringbuckle/cinch buckle. if you'd use it like a tri glide why not just buy some tri glides?

the bend does cause more friction

the ones on my metolius rope bag look like they're cast aluminum, but the ones in the pic don't. mine are for 3/4" webbing

they're not going to give you a weight rating as it's not meant to be a load bearing piece. they should have given a webbing size on the site though, how silly is that?

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    i suppose you coukld use it like a jrb triglide, but i was thinking more like a ringbuckle/cinch buckle. if you'd use it like a tri glide why not just buy some tri glides?
    That was my thought as well. If it's not strong enough to use the hook, then it's not a better solution that cinch buckles.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

well, with the JRB triglides coming in at $15 for a pair...$2 a piece is good if you can find cheaper shipping...If I still worked at a materials lab I'd definitely buy some and and stress test these with strain on the hook...alas...I do not. Nor do I have anything that would support a simple load-to-fail test...
    Mostly I was just curious for input as I had found these before I'd found the JRB tri-glides.
    I did get an e-mail back saying that the ones on the metolius site are for 1" webbing. No answer to the type of aluminum, cast or machined, thickness, etc.

Yeah, I bought a bunch of these buckles in my early days of hammock configuration. I used these on the head end of my second double hammock, attached to the two apex loops. Actually, I am hanging from them in the image of my current avatar, but they are just out of view. They are aluminum, and no heavier than the cinch buckles (exact weight escapes my memory just now). I used them as in the way the link that Mule provided has also done (hooks are not load bearing).

They seemed plenty strong and held the weight of two occupants without slipping. However, they are not as good as triglides or cinch buckles in keeping the webbing aligned as it passes through them. I was concerned about the twisted webbing compromising the webbing strength. For that reason I am no longer using them. I hope I find a good use for them someday...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast