Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    Thanks! That Montbell looks like a very nice addition to the pack...is yours true to spec at about five and an half ounces?

Heard a lot about Darn Tough socks, but I've yet to see (or...if you had been wearing them on the FHT trip, I failed to notice ) them in person. Are they worth it for longer days in cool weather?

Looking forward to your cuben overmits!
    Yes 5.45oz on my scale. I like it a lot, but I find I need a bit more insulation at lower temps so I use my fleece to supplement it.

I did not have the Darn Tough socks in July, but I did for my thru.

Me too.
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"
    ...he's a mountain goat crossed with a marathoner.

Images
    Nice video. I've hiked a bit with Detail Man and bet you both broke the 4 minute mile. Winter camping needs to be done in increments, discovering your own tolerance / limitations in lower temperatures. Gradually build up the gear for what works for you and only you. Medals are not awarded, just the privilage to embellish the tales when reliving them with those who where there.

Hammock
    DIY or Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Bonefire Deluxe
    Images
    Thanks for the video FIMB. It was a great trip, even it was just an overnighter. It was cold enough to qualify as winter trip, but not extreme, just right for FIMB to test his winter UQ. One my favorite parts was seeing the stars that night. WOW they were bright! FIMB is a great guy to hike with.

I wore a Stephenson's Warmlight shirt for the first time. Before the trip I modified the shirt for comfort and style. It needs pit zips, to be added before the next trip. It was a learning experience, but I'll definitely use it again for winter outings.

Hammock
    Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roche View Post
    Nice video. I've hiked a bit with Detail Man and bet you both broke the 4 minute mile. Winter camping needs to be done in increments, discovering your own tolerance / limitations in lower temperatures. Gradually build up the gear for what works for you and only you. Medals are not awarded, just the privilage to embellish the tales when reliving them with those who where there.
    It will indeed be a privilege to get down to the cooler temps. It was good to see what worked and how I can improve my skills and gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Detail Man View Post
    Thanks for the video FIMB. It was a great trip, even it was just an overnighter. It was cold enough to qualify as winter trip, but not extreme, just right for FIMB to test his winter UQ. One my favorite parts was seeing the stars that night. WOW they were bright! FIMB is a great guy to hike with.

I wore a Stephenson's Warmlight shirt for the first time. Before the trip I modified the shirt for comfort and style. It needs pit zips, to be added before the next trip. It was a learning experience, but I'll definitely use it again for winter outings.
    Those stars were great! Thanks for joining me on the trip, sir. I look forward to doing another one soon.
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"

Hammock
    Hennessy UL Explorer (2QZQ Mod #4)
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Baby Orca & NoSniv
    Suspension
    Whoopie & biner
    Images
    Was a nice trip... saw it yesterday evening when I got back home and checked my susbscriptions in YT.... and even if I missed it.... this is the backup plan for that tv replacement time

Grtz Johan
    My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplaces of existence.

mob: +31 6 44 80 82 63

http://www.dutchunlimited.com
    http://dutchunlimited.com/english/

My YouTube

Hammock
    WarBonnet Blackbird 1.1
    Tarp
    WarBonnet Edge
    Insulation
    4 JRB quilts.
    Suspension
    Home made job.
    HHHmmmm, I somehow managed to “almost” missed this trip report, FireInMyBones .

It’s yet another rainy day here, so I thought I’d have a look at some trip reports. I didn’t find yours, but eventually did find a message, which sparked a, “did I miss a report” search. All I can say is that I miss track turn offs too. I even missed lunch today... slept right past it . lol

Anyway...

How did the knee braces go, do they work? I like the little waterfalls! The vapour shirt sounds interesting. Well done on the coldest night/warmest sleep record! My record is, a no worries, 35F, 2C. The hand warmer on the kidney is a good idea, so is the bags on the feet.

A 30 day hike, that’s a lot of hiking, Fronkey. I’d be brand new, if I hiked for that long. lol I feel a year younger, just thinking about doing it. Thanks for the shout-out! I just had a look at when I last posted a video and it was October the 19th last year. Just for you, I’ll pick the coldest time of this year and go to the coldest place in this area and do a trip report. It won’t be pretty! lol

If I went down below the 20s I’d need ducted central heating! Your list of things you’d need sounded petty good too. Yes, I like snow as well, but hiking in it, for more than 5 minutes, would take some psyching up. Thanks for the great, and nicely edited, trip report, FireInMyBones!

P.S. I found the answer to my question, so don’t re answer it:

They seemed to work very well on the knees, but pinched the back side of my knees (like the knee's arm pit). I had some chaffing behind the knees after the trip from that pinching. I think that I'm too active for the active knit
    Last edited by Bruciehi5; 02-16-2013 at 06:03. Reason: Last Video Date Correction

Hammock
    Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by born2roam View Post
    Was a nice trip... saw it yesterday evening when I got back home and checked my susbscriptions in YT.... and even if I missed it.... this is the backup plan for that tv replacement time

Grtz Johan
    Thanks for watching. I like hereing from you, Johan. It was a nice trip.

Watching other people's trip reports is often much better than the television alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruciehi5 View Post
    HHHmmmm, I somehow managed to “almost” missed this trip report, FireInMyBones .

It’s yet another rainy day here, so I thought I’d have a look at some trip reports. I didn’t find yours, but eventually did find a message, which sparked a, “did I miss a report” search. All I can say is that I miss track turn offs too. I even missed lunch today... slept right past it . lol

Anyway...

How did the knee braces go, do they work? I like the little waterfalls! The vapour shirt sounds interesting. Well done on the coldest night/warmest sleep record! My record is, a no worries, 35F, 2C. The hand warmer on the kidney is a good idea, so is the bags on the feet.

A 30 day hike, that’s a lot of hiking, Fronkey. I’d be brand new, if I hiked for that long. lol I feel a year younger, just thinking about doing it. Thanks for the shout-out! I just had a look at when I last posted a video and it was October the 19th last year. Just for you, I’ll pick the coldest time of this year and go to the coldest place in this area and do a trip report. It won’t be pretty! lol

If I went down below the 20s I’d need ducted central heating! Your list of things you’d need sounded petty good too. Yes, I like snow as well, but hiking in it, for more than 5 minutes, would take some psyching up. Thanks for the great, and nicely edited, trip report, FireInMyBones!

P.S. I found the answer to my question, so don’t re answer it:

They seemed to work very well on the knees, but pinched the back side of my knees (like the knee's arm pit). I had some chaffing behind the knees after the trip from that pinching. I think that I'm too active for the active knit
    Bummer that it's raining there. It just started snowing some here.

I'm not sure how I'd do with a 30 day trek in the woods. I think I'd miss my wife too much.

Brucie, knowing your limits is very important. I would love to see you in a winter wonderland, but I would only ever wish safety for my friends here.

I have some more tricks to learn on the editing, many of which require me to take multiple shots of the activity at hand. I need to work on my "multicam" style. Thanks for the kind words.
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"

Looks like you guys had fun. Thanks for taking us with you. I'm in total agreement with the compactor bag, they have always done me right.
    ...To wander on in a huge forest without thought of return...

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    0* Mamba & Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Goldberg
    Quote Originally Posted by FireInMyBones View Post
    One thing I keep coming back to is the importance of looking at your compass. Even if you have it with you and you've been looking at your map, things can still happen.
    I have the same thoughts. There is a fear in me since hiking as a kid that the woods are magical and can change as you walk through them. I've had trails change on me and fog roll in out of nowhere.

Hammock
    Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by River Otter View Post
    Looks like you guys had fun. Thanks for taking us with you. I'm in total agreement with the compactor bag, they have always done me right.
    We sure did. You're welcome.
    I ended up making a cuben pack liner that is a little skinnier and taller than the compactor bag. I'm lovin' it.

Quote Originally Posted by ripcurlksm View Post
    I have the same thoughts. There is a fear in me since hiking as a kid that the woods are magical and can change as you walk through them. I've had trails change on me and fog roll in out of nowhere.
    Yeah. I'm proficient in compass reading, but I could use more practice and need to remember my compass in the future. The woods are a bit more magical than a compass can tame many times.
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast