Page 15 of 50 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
    Hammock Engineer, what whipping did you decide on with your HH clone?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by funbun View Post
    Hammock Engineer, what whipping did you decide on with your HH clone?
    Sorry forgot to add that.

I ended up not using the HH rolling. I used the gathering method Jeff talks about on his site that has been up there for a while. I am still playing around with it, but for me I am finding that about 11 folds (with 1 fold being 1 fold in each direction) to feel the best for me right now. I also have about a 10' ridgeline for my 10' long material. The hammock hangs down about 25-ish inches in the center. I have about 6 inches of length in the line from the hammock to the ridgeline on the larkshead knot.

I also was laying pretty close to center. However with the tight pitch it got me pretty flat. My biggest issue is getting it flat from my head through my neck to my shoulders. If I do that I can be pretty straight through my lower back. Past that it doesn't matter because I sleep with my stuff sacks under my knees.

I still want to play around with the HH some more. I want to try it without sewing the edges to each other on the ends and with a lot more rolls.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by funbun View Post
    Seriously, can these HH clones sit as well as a Speer? I often like to sit in my hammock. It seems the ridgeline would interfere while sitting.
    hi!
    you could tie the ridgeline a little bit higher up the hammock suspension and then make sort of hood at the hammock ends (just like the clark jungle hammock). The hood encloses the ridgeline inside the netting and reduce the stress on the fabric at the hammock ends.

Images
    Okay, I decided I wanted my ridgeline for my UL version to be permanent, but I don't like the way I have the ridgeline attached. I ended up just tying a knot and the end of the ridgeline and then threaded it through the tubed end, whipped the hammock body and then attached the suspension. I am worried that will create too much tension. How does Hennessy attach their ridgeline?

EDIT: Also, where should the tie outs be located? I would just put them where I feel like it, but then that closes my options to homemade stuff (I love to make gear, but sometimes I do like the convenience of buying).
    Last edited by lvleph; 04-09-2007 at 07:13.

Quote Originally Posted by lvleph View Post
    Okay, I decided I wanted my ridgeline for my UL version to be permanent, but I don't like the way I have the ridgeline attached. I ended up just tying a knot and the end of the ridgeline and then threaded it through the tubed end, whipped the hammock body and then attached the suspension. I am worried that will create too much tension. How does Hennessy attach their ridgeline?

EDIT: Also, where should the tie outs be located? I would just put them where I feel like it, but then that closes my options to homemade stuff (I love to make gear, but sometimes I do like the convenience of buying).
    Not sure about the ridgeline, but the tie outs I measured my friends HH yesterday. There was 42 inches on the short side of the asym tie outs, measured from the ridgeline to the tie out.

Images
    The HH tieout for me was about knee level on the right side and shoulder level on the right. I would just go with this and customize it for you. Provided you do not have a JRB quilt you need to line up with. You could get someone else to pull on the edge of the hammock to simulate the tieout while you are in it to get a better idea of where to put it.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Images
    I was debating on a JRB quilt and is the reason I didn't want to just make it so it feels right. I suppose I could always customize the quilt.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I was debating on a JRB quilt and is the reason I didn't want to just make it so it feels right. I suppose I could always customize the quilt.
    I can measure the distance between side tie outs on my JRB quilt when I get home tonight. You could find the center point of the hammock (length wise) and use the distance between the side tie outs to find the locations of your side tie outs so that a JRB quilt will fit the hammock.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Images
    You know I just realized I can look at the KAQ directions to figure out the tie outs. At least I think I can.

You know I just realized I can look at the KAQ directions to figure out the tie outs. At least I think I can.
    Or you can simply tie about 24 inches of ribbon with loops every 2 inches or so and have adjustable tieouts.

• + New Posts
  • Page 15 of 50 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast