WB Blackbird Double Layer 1.0, DYI
    Tarp
    The Edge
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ HG-TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Dutchware
    Images

Post HWS- Review on the WBBB Double Layer 1.0 my first hammock.

Want to start by giving all my peeps a shout out to all the first time hangers who have just purchased or will be purchasing a new first hammock. Congtatulations on any hammock brand or type you select!

Warnings: Friendly Reminder
    Always take care opening any outdoor purchased products!

First Impression:
    Super Light, Very Pack-able, Compact Size

Study and Inspection:
    Noticed my hammock shipped packed inside the bishop bag. Carefully looking it over I slowly pulled at the strap at one end to see how the hammock was packed and took a closer look to see what it better looked like. Repacked the hammock then the straps, prepared myself for some hang testing.

Preparation:
    Reviewed Shug’s and Brandon’s WBBB Videos for how to hang a hammock, studied them like I was taking a lawyers bar exam. Knowing I would be on my own once in the field alone with my hammock.

1st Test Hang:
    Loaded backpack with my hammock, tarp, stakes and some other hiking gear items. Brought along my brother and 2 nephews drove to French Creek Reservation, hiked along the Black River and found a spot to test hang my WBBB. (Recommendations are two trees approximately 15-18 feet apart for hanging your hammock).

Straps system with carabineer worked flawlessly and was very fast and easy to use. Running my thoughts over Shug’s and Brandon’s WBBB videos, I executed their teachings like a Tibetan Monk Disciple and completed hanging my hammock for the first time in about 5 minutes. THANK YOU SHUG & BRANDON FOR YOUR HELP, TEACHINGS AND VIDEOS.

Weight - Color:
    The WBBB DL 1.0 weighs in at 22.5/26.5 oz. The color is listed as Charcoal Grey. But this charcoal grey is unique in the way it changes its color in the light. Sometimes it’s a little brownish, greenish, brownish green, charcoal grey or sometimes a slate color. I don’t see anyone purchasing this hammock having a problem with the color. I myself really like this color would pick it again.

Review Findings:
    Hammock surprising light weight, material feels silky strong, soft and very comfortable to lie on. The WBBB has fabric upsweeps partially up the sides. Laying in the hammock the sides feel like a partial cocoon which I didn’t mind. Actually it gave me a sense of security laying in my hammock. The bug-net zipper was easy to open and to close while inside the hammock. You could also see out the mosquito meshing fairly clearly while looking up at the trees and sky. Note: (The bug-net does not come off all the way and is an integral part of the hammock). Is it a bad thing? IMO no not when you need it for mosquito protection. Being attached means you will always have it and can't forget to bring it. Does it come off completely that answer is no. Alot of people will have different opinions of fixed or non-fixed bug nettings, understood. It will simply depend on the hammocker's usage. I am merely trying to give my review of the WBBB hammock as I experienced or tested it and will be using it.

A real functional and convenient feature of the hammock is the shelf (basically
    a storage space that allows you to stow gear and what-knots in) very crafty and handy atribute to have.

The Double Layer material is (2) 1.0 fabrics that make up the hammock and creates a pocket of sorts to allow you to place a pad or another barrier type material in between the layers for more insulating properties. It also will most likely help to hold your pad or other insulation material in one place when being used. Also the double layer should help with mosquitoes although you may need a pad for extra barrier and deeper weather protection.

All hammocks have there advantages and disadvantages. You will have to decide what’s best for you, your needs,usage and budget. I’m happy with my choice for my first hammock because of these requirements.

Living in Ohio and battling summer mosquitoes that can not only extremely annoy you but can also carry diseases, A bug-net not a bad idea. We also have 4 full seasons, Double Layer for weather conditions and protection not a bad idea either. Lastly looking at the cost and affordability effects my decision on what piece of equipment I will buy and then will decide what best purchase to make for getting the most bang for my hang. Did I just make a ryme?

With that said I’m very happy with my WBBB 1.0 DL first hammock purchase and look forward to using it more, experimenting, testing and tweaking it for a comfortable and off the ground sleep system.

Newbie Tip- You can see in the pics that the double ended hammock bag cover (Bishop Bag) stays on the straps at one end of the hammock. I have mine at the foot end. I stow extra gear in there like tent stakes and the like and cinch down the end.

Here’s some pics of my 2nd hang of the WBBB DL 1.0, sorry I only had my cel phone to take pictures, enjoy:

Pic 1: Warbonnet Hammock in Wonderland
    Pic 2: WBBB Dl 1.0 Deployed (Right Side}
    Pic 3: WBBB Dl 1.0 Deployed (Left Side)
    Pic 4: Bug-net and Roomy
    Pic 5: Bug-net Half Open
    Pic 6: Looking Out
    Pic 7: Straps
    Pic 8: Self Pic Chillin in Hammock
    Pic 9: I Must Go Just Received The Warbonnet Black Bird Singnal!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I hike with SCISSORS cause it makes me feel dangerous ... LoL

Hammock
    Dutch Half-Wit NylonD 1.0
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Kevlar
    Images
    With my WBBB 1.0 DL hopefully arriving soon, this doesn't help me contain my excitement! Great review, and enjoy your new hammock!

Hammock
    WBBB DL1.0
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 0*
    Suspension
    Web Straps

Thumbs up

Thanks for the review and the pictures.

BTW I love the shot of the hammock in the trees. I know you took it on you phone. But it is a very good picture. With a little Photoshop work, I think is would make a great promotional shot for the Black Bird.

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    OES deluxe
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    When I received my own WBBB, I wanted to know which end was which prior to opening the bishop bag. This led me to replace one of the cord locks with a different colored one. I just took one from another stuff sack I already had. Now, I know the black cord lock is the foot of the hammock. This aids me when I want to have the zippered access face a certain direction, such as downhill, or towards my buds.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird Double Layer 1.0, DYI
    Tarp
    The Edge
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ HG-TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stefprez View Post
    With my WBBB 1.0 DL hopefully arriving soon, this doesn't help me contain my excitement! Great review, and enjoy your new hammock!
    Congrats, Yes waiting for the arrival is the hardest part. Don' worry you'll will be hanging ten from the trees soon!!!

Quote Originally Posted by zugcat View Post
    Thanks for the review and the pictures.

BTW I love the shot of the hammock in the trees. I know you took it on you phone. But it is a very good picture. With a little Photoshop work, I think is would make a great promotional shot for the Black Bird.
    Thanks for your post! Glad to see you changed your hammock type from:

Hammock: Not Sure yet
    To
    Hammock: WBBB DL 1.0

Please post some pics when you get a chance!

Quote Originally Posted by olzeke View Post
    When I received my own WBBB, I wanted to know which end was which prior to opening the bishop bag. This led me to replace one of the cord locks with a different colored one. I just took one from another stuff sack I already had. Now, I know the black cord lock is the foot of the hammock. This aids me when I want to have the zippered access face a certain direction, such as downhill, or towards my buds.
    olzeke, The Bishop bag is really nice and lite. It's shaped more like a stuff sack with locking cordage at each end and opens real wide for stuffing. Can't tell head or foot until untill you pull the hammock out a bit or hang it.

If you just hang it any which way out of the box it won't matter much, you can mark it then when you see it hang. Of course the foot box for the asym lay will be the foot end.

Happy hanging, post some pics when you get a chance. I never get tired of seeing pics of a hammock hanging. Enjoy your new WBB.
    I hike with SCISSORS cause it makes me feel dangerous ... LoL

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    3/4
    Suspension
    Strap Cinch buckle
    Good review still learning mine

Hammock
    WBBB; WBRR; WBXLC;HH Exped
    Tarp
    Superfly; JRB Ulti
    Insulation
    HG TQ&UQ; AHE; WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies&Dutchware
    Images
    My WBBB 1.1 Dbl is winging its way to me right now! This nice recap just fires me up to get it even more ......thanks for the review and pics!

BTW - when any of The Flock gets the BlackBird signal, we are required to .......you know!
    Live Purposefully; Dare Greatly; Land Gently

If you're going to do something wrong, go for it! - Beryl G.

"Never knock on Death's door - just ring the bell and run. He hates that!"

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Kevlar
    Images
    Should have mine by the end of the week! I feel like it's Christmas!

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    ive never had a warbonnet so I dont know what the "shelf" is or the storage part your talking about. do you have pictures of that?

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Kevlar
    Images
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yxevtxnkmkk#t=34s

He shows it a few other times throughout the video as well.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast