Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    I just read the hazard information for this and it's not that dangerous at all. Breathing fibres is the only real bad part and the materials Wisenber mentioned don't appear to have that kind of problem. It's got me wondering now... A seating pad wouldn't be a bad first project with a square foot piece. You wouldn't have to worry about sitting on hot lava rock or dry ice at least
    I can't buy something without first considering whether I could just make it myself instead. How'd I get so screwed up?

Hammock
    DIY DL/HH Hyperlite/WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    HHSS/DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ICanMakeThat View Post
    I just read the hazard information for this and it's not that dangerous at all. Breathing fibres is the only real bad part and the materials Wisenber mentioned don't appear to have that kind of problem. It's got me wondering now... A seating pad wouldn't be a bad first project with a square foot piece. You wouldn't have to worry about sitting on hot lava rock or dry ice at least
    http://www.aerogel.com/ui/Handling_Guidelines.pdf

No long term effects. Still points out that it does cause eye, skin and membrane irritation (it's a silica).

The linked materials both still dust, just one is listed as "low" dusting.

Also note after they are finished explaining how safe it is, the General Handling Guidelines.
    Experience is the worst teacher - it presents the exam first and the lesson later. - Unknown

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyHiker View Post
    http://www.aerogel.com/ui/Handling_Guidelines.pdf

No long term effects. Still points out that it does cause eye, skin and membrane irritation (it's a silica).

The linked materials both still dust, just one is listed as "low" dusting.

Also note after they are finished explaining how safe it is, the General Handling Guidelines.
    A bag of down can cause irritation if inhaled or when it gets in your eyes as well. The material is not meant to be left in its "raw" state. The blanket materials made for clothing applications still require a shell. Once it is in some form of suitable shell material, it should work rather well.
    It's just very expensive, hence the cost of the products in the OP.

Hammock
    DIY DL/HH Hyperlite/WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    HHSS/DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Webbing
    Images
    I'd take an eyeful of down over an eyeful of silica any day of the week. Silica is a very common dessicant. Just because it's included in my beef jerky doesn't mean I'm going to eat it.

The clothing manufacturer states that it is encapsulated - whatever that entails (whether it's simply a shell or the aerogel is sealed in some manner, as it has been in sleeping pads). Either way, I'd still be leery if the product happens to get punctured/ripped/torn. But thats just me.

Yep, it's expensive, most new/ limited tech is - not sure how that relates to it's safety. It's also been around since the early 80's and does show promising uses in a wide spectrum of applications. Perhaps they have overcome any limitations to make it usable in clothing - I just haven't seen any evidence of that beyond the manufacturers claims, and I'll take those with a very large grain of salt.
    Experience is the worst teacher - it presents the exam first and the lesson later. - Unknown

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    "Aerogel is a synthetic porous material derived from a gel, in which the liquid component of the gel has been replaced with a gas. The result is a solid with extremely low density[1] and thermal conductivity. It is nicknamed frozen smoke,[2] solid smoke, solid air or blue smoke owing to its translucent nature and the way light scatters in the material; however, it feels like expanded polystyrene (styrofoam) to the touch.

Aerogel was first created by Samuel Stephens Kistler in 1931, as a result of a bet with Charles Learned over who could replace the liquid in "jellies" with gas without causing shrinkage.[3][4]
    Aerogels are good thermal insulators because they almost nullify the three methods of heat transfer (convection, conduction, and radiation). They are good conductive insulators because they are composed almost entirely from a gas, and gases are very poor heat conductors. Silica aerogel is especially good because silica is also a poor conductor of heat (a metallic aerogel, on the other hand, would be less effective). They are good convective inhibitors because air cannot circulate through the lattice. Carbon aerogel is a good radiative insulator because carbon absorbs the infrared radiation that transfers heat at standard temperatures."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerogel

There are more than one manufacturer of Aerogel as there are no patents no longer in force from its 1931 development. Despite its cost, there is no better insulating material than aerogel. It has also been used in insulating spacecraft and arctic pipelines.
    It has been around fro some time in insoles as well for use in extremely hot or cold environments, so it has had apparel applications already. I would presume that the only limiting factor for sleeping pads would be cost, but it has been done.

Hammock
    Eno Singlenest & DubbleNest
    Tarp
    ENO Pro Fly
    Insulation
    Foam pad & slp bag
    Suspension
    Atlas straps
    Images

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Down will not go down without a real tough fight.
    I put my $$ on down everytime.
    This stuff will have to prove me wrong.
    Shug ...Longtime Down User and Fan
    One billon geese can't be wrong
    This is your one stop shop for all Hammock knowledge

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bhinson View Post
    One billon geese can't be wrong
    I eat a goose at Christmas and sleep in their fluff.
    In return they poop on my lake front)))))
    Never really had a fun time with a live goose. Was attacked by one once over a pizza slice. Geese are kinda mean actually.

Back on topic.....aerogel. Not really familiar with it so my arguments are moot.
    Last edited by Shug; 12-08-2011 at 11:22.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Eno Singlenest & DubbleNest
    Tarp
    ENO Pro Fly
    Insulation
    Foam pad & slp bag
    Suspension
    Atlas straps
    Images

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    I eat a goose at Christmas and sleep in their fluff.
    In return they poop on my lake front)))))
    Never really had a fun time with a live goose. Was attacked by one once over a pizza slice. Geese are kinda mean actually.

Yes but we are talking about that nice warm fluffy down
    That come from plucking them mean lil devils lol
    This is your one stop shop for all Hammock knowledge

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    I need to start goose hunting again.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Hammock
    GT Ultralight
    Tarp
    WL Tad Pole
    Insulation
    Ridgerest pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie n' Huggers
    A heads up:
    Due to the unique and revolutionary insulation and manufacturing techniques required, Shiver Shield can NOT be sewn, punctured, or in any way ruptured. Caution should be taken to avoid getting holes in your Shiver Shield clothing. This could significantly reduce its insulative capability

In the FAQ section... No love for the thread injectors among us.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast