Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images

Ridgerunner & shoulder pain

After all the great reviews here, I got a WB RR this summer. Since I'm too happy with my plain simple BB, I knew that it would in all likelihood never replace it in my hiking pack. But I thought I could use the RR for car camping and at home, where weight is not an issue.

I slept in the RR about 4 nights. At first it felt fantastic. No calf pressure. Flat lay. I love the saddle bags. I could cope with the tippyness. But even after the first night, I started feeling my shoulders a bit. After more nights, I had a pain deep between my shoulders. Which really surprised me. I used the full spreader bar (all 3 parts), and I'm not exactly big or wide shouldered. I have never had any shoulder problems in any of my other hammocks. Is it possible that I might have made a mistake in the set-up?

Hammock
    wbrr/d i y speer
    Tarp
    hg 4sccc 12 foot
    Insulation
    lynx/w/logics
    Suspension
    straps /pole mod
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    After all the great reviews here, I got a WB RR this summer. Since I'm too happy with my plain simple BB, I knew that it would in all likelihood never replace it in my hiking pack. But I thought I could use the RR for car camping and at home, where weight is not an issue.

I slept in the RR about 4 nights. At first it felt fantastic. No calf pressure. Flat lay. I love the saddle bags. I could cope with the tippiness. But even after the first night, I started feeling my shoulders a bit. After more nights, I had a pain deep between my shoulders. Which really surprised me. I used the full spreader bar (all 3 parts), and I'm not exactly big or wide shouldered. I have never had any shoulder problems in any of my other hammocks. Is it possible that I might have made a mistake in the set-up?
    Try narrowing the spread of the hammock by using the pieces in different configurations.
    The tight position for me was not near as comfy as my softer hammock now .
    it also makes the hammock more usable,you can lay right against the side without Tipping out.
    the pain might be coming from the neck,the softer hammock allows me to get different position from the pillow area.

Hammock
    WB / BIAS
    Tarp
    HG Custom 4S
    Insulation
    WB Lynx, HG, MB
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    I found that when I started with mine, I think I had the foot end up a little high and was sliding down towards the head end (This is how I like to setup my gathered ends). I now only hang the foot end a couple to a few inches higher than the head end, and its become by far my most comfortable setup. As well, I went to a slimmer pillow and found that my neck, back and shoulders feel like brand new when I wake up.

Hope it helps!

Cheers

Images
    A air pad will lift you upward some reducing/eliminating this issue for folks that do have it, most people (normal shoulders) should be fine with just the full length pole in there

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Thanks; I'll try all your tips as soon as I have a place to hang again. I hope this will solve it.

Hammock
    diy 1.1 oz
    Tarp
    diy cat cut
    Insulation
    hg incubator
    Suspension
    dutch whoopie hook
    Possibly a tighter pitch could help as well that was brought to my attention this weekend when using it for the first time.

Images
    Pulling the suspension tighter will result in more flatness from head to toe, not from shoulder to shoulder (and also makes it less stable), the trick is to hang it similar to the Blackbirds (with the foot end slightly higher), this way you get that nice flat feeling from hips to shoulders without having to pull the suspension so tight and it's more stable that way as well.

the spreader bar is what effects flatness from shoulder to shoulder, most people will be fine with just using the spreader bars at full spread (40"), but if you still feel shoulder squeeze, consider adding a thick air pad, this will lift you upward and decrease shoulder squeeze noticeably (with a thick air pad in there it may even be necessary to remove the 4" spreader section and go with a 36" spread)

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    An air pad certainly does flatten the RR side to side.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    Pulling the suspension tighter will result in more flatness from head to toe, not from shoulder to shoulder (and also makes it less stable), the trick is to hang it similar to the Blackbirds (with the foot end slightly higher), this way you get that nice flat feeling from hips to shoulders without having to pull the suspension so tight and it's more stable that way as well.

the spreader bar is what effects flatness from shoulder to shoulder, most people will be fine with just using the spreader bars at full spread (40"), but if you still feel shoulder squeeze, consider adding a thick air pad, this will lift you upward and decrease shoulder squeeze noticeably (with a thick air pad in there it may even be necessary to remove the 4" spreader section and go with a 36" spread)
    Good points here from WarbonnetGuy,,check your hang angle,,play with it, 25 to no more than 30. You might prefer closer to 30 as the sag will loosen it a bit. I have to use a small but firm pillow with at least 4 inches of loft and no softness especially when sleeping on my side as my head needs raised. But I have found,,if I have the hammock strung up too tightly it makes the RR a tighter more firmer lay and get a little shoulder pain myself when making it too firm,,key for me is my angle I am stringing it up at especially if the trees are super close. Play with it and you will find your sweet spot. Happy hanging.

• + New Posts