Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Whoever decided crushed limestone is tent pad material has to be the most ignorant recreational planner on the face of the earth. That stupidity has propagated itself throughout the country. We have the same thing in PA. Except they just dumped a 4 yard truck in each site and let gravity do the spreading. We pay out taxes for such expert decisions. (grrr... rant over)
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    BB 1.7 Dbl, ENO SN, Switchback
    Tarp
    SWT, Diamond Fly
    Insulation
    Infl. Pad, Fleece
    Suspension
    Ring Bckl, Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    Whoever decided crushed limestone is tent pad material has to be the most ignorant recreational planner on the face of the earth. That stupidity has propagated itself throughout the country. We have the same thing in PA. Except they just dumped a 4 yard truck in each site and let gravity do the spreading. We pay out taxes for such expert decisions. (grrr... rant over)
    We do have that in some of our State Parks, and you absolutely couldn't pitch a tent without a heavy groundcloth. Fortunately, there are nice trees around most of these sites, perfect for hanging, if you are into State Parks. I have a park just 12 miles from the house (Carolina Beach State Park) that I have scoped out for good hanging sites. Yes, it's an established campground, and usually quite busy, but it's a nice place to go whenI want to get away from the house, but don't really feel like hiking.
    "I used to be sane, but now I'm better."

Hammock
    Dream Hammock ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben 7X9
    Insulation
    JRBSierraSniveller
    Suspension
    ring buckle system
    Images
    My experience is state parks don't allow hammocks, federal parks do. The primary reason state parks don't allow them is the damage they've done to the trees in the past. Most users don't understand you have to use straps, not rope, to hang hammocks.

Hammock
    BB 1.7 Dbl, ENO SN, Switchback
    Tarp
    SWT, Diamond Fly
    Insulation
    Infl. Pad, Fleece
    Suspension
    Ring Bckl, Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by bear bag hanger View Post
    My experience is state parks don't allow hammocks, federal parks do. The primary reason state parks don't allow them is the damage they've done to the trees in the past. Most users don't understand you have to use straps, not rope, to hang hammocks.
    Again, the rules will vary from state to state, and even park to park. So far, I've never had a problem, and have even been able to instruct some rangers on the benefits (comfort and LNT) of real camping hammocks.
    "I used to be sane, but now I'm better."

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    I was hanging two weeks ago in my local state park, very visible from the main drive, no problems with the Rangers. They drove or walked thru all day. Michigan seems fine with hangers.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    PA State parks do not allow camping anywhere but designated sites. They all charge a site fee so I have no clue what their reaction would be but I know you can not cover any grass with your shelter and can not attach anything to trees. But I have not tried to hammock. I am too cheap. PA State forests are a whole different ball game. Except for having to be x number of feet from the trail/road/building you can hang with impunity and the worst that should happen is a ranger stops and shares your coffee. There are few places that are closed to camping of all kinds. Mostly because the locals have used them for keggers and left the place a mess.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    Another thing you might consider, when going to hang in a campground, is to take a piece of cardboard to wrap around the tree under your straps. Just another thing to make it really obvious that you are going out of your way to protect the tree. A big chunk of cardboard is visibly obvious and can really help win you some brownie points.

Slackliners, who put a lot more force on the trees than we do in hammocks, learned very quickly how much of a difference an old box can make with folks' perceptions of your activity.

Missouri, or on my motorcycle, bicycle or in my kayak somewhere...
    Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark RX-250
    Insulation
    Clark Z-Liner
    Suspension
    Clark ropes/straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustardman View Post
    Another thing you might consider, when going to hang in a campground, is to take a piece of cardboard to wrap around the tree under your straps. Just another thing to make it really obvious that you are going out of your way to protect the tree. A big chunk of cardboard is visibly obvious and can really help win you some brownie points.

Slackliners, who put a lot more force on the trees than we do in hammocks, learned very quickly how much of a difference an old box can make with folks' perceptions of your activity.
    Good point! Thanks for posting it...
    KJ

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12