Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Hennessy

Addition of fleece to Super Shelter

I just tested out my Super Shelter this weekend. I used the under cover, foam pad and space blanket. For top cover, I used a ratty old sleeping bag and fleece blanket. When I folded up the space blanket, it had some moisture on it. As well as the space blanket worked as a top quilt, why not replace the emergency blanket with a fleece blanket which should breathe much better. Has anyone tried this?
    • There's a very thin line between a little bit crazy and a whole lot stupid.
    • If you're lost, just go faster. You'll be lost for less time.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    HG UQ or DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I think that the space blanket isn't for insulation, it's for a vapor barrier; i.e., if you change it out for something that breathes better you may lose the insulating quality of that layer. Andrew Skurka does an excellent job discussing vapor barriers and their application.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Hennessy
    Thanks! I checked that out last night. Still, I'm gonna try adding the fleece blanket as another layer to the foam. The last time I was out, the space blanket just seemed to capture to much moisture. I'm hoping that with better insulation under me, I can ditch the sleeping bag and just use another fleece blanket as my top quilt.
    • There's a very thin line between a little bit crazy and a whole lot stupid.
    • If you're lost, just go faster. You'll be lost for less time.

The space blanket IS supposed to reflect some of your body heat at you. Do try the fleece on top of your foam and see if it works for you. You may find that it is heavy enough to keep the foam pad from conforming to your body as it is designed, or you may be able to tighten the bungies enough to make up for the added weight. YMMV. You might even find that the fleece on top of the space blanket is more comfortable/warmer. To deal with condensation, I usually rely on wicking clothing to carry insensible perspiration from whatever body part is against a vapor barrier to the part of me that is able to "breathe." Condensation on the space blanket itself, as long as it isn't making my hammock damp, doesn't concern me much. Another YMMV.
    Rosaleen

Hennessy Hammock afficionado and supporter.

Hammock
    HH UL BP Classic
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    The space blanket slows heat lost through conduction and reflects it back to you. Also, it's a lightweight and cheap solution to staying warm. I've been carrying and using one for over 28 years. That being said, a fleece will certainly work. I used my top quilt in a similar fashion back in November in Pennsylvania. I had also brought along a down jacket and down pants

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DCF Winter
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ @ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoope
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Apeman1470 View Post
    The space blanket slows heat lost through conduction and reflects it back to you. Also, it's a lightweight and cheap solution to staying warm. I've been carrying and using one for over 28 years. That being said, a fleece will certainly work. I used my top quilt in a similar fashion back in November in Pennsylvania. I had also brought along a down jacket and down pants
    Down jacket and pants, the solution to so many cold sleeping issues. Very low pack volume, light weight, complete body coverage that does not move around and leave cold gaps. Well worth the cost. An underrated and perfect answer, try it!
    Since I retired, some times I stay awake all day, some times all night.

Hammock
    DH Dangerbird/WB RR
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    AE New River MM TQ
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    Hammock noob here. This thread interests me because I once tried using a space blanket while camping and I woke up the next morning feeling like I'd slept in a sauna.
    I found an old wool blanket that I plan on putting over a pad with a sleeping bag on top of that. I'm hoping that this cheap route will work out for me.
    I doubt I will be out much below freezing if I can help it.

• + New Posts