Tarp
    diy 11 x 8
    Insulation
    incubator-stealth
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images

Defeeted by the Superior Hiking Trail

I took a bunch of time off work to head north into the woods, with plans of hiking the entire superior hiking trail. My dog and I set off from hinckley on the Willard Munger trail because that was were our ride dropped us off. Over the next 5 days we hike some 60 miles to Jay Cooke State Park. This is were the Duluth section of the SHT begins. It was sure a great feeling to see the first sign for the trail. The Willard Munger is paved and more of a bicycle trail. The asphault killed my feet. By the time I got to Jay Cooke I was limping a bit on a sore ankle and my other foot was quite blistery. My poor choice in foot wear was, a poor choice. The Duluth section is very nice, but there are no campsites along the way. I never had too much trouble finding a good stealth spot. There are limitless places to hang a hammock in Minnesota. The trail is not completed between Duluth and Two Harbors so I got out the old compass and tried navigating through snowmobile and deer trails. There were a lot of swampy areas, I sunk to my knees a couple times. Then we followed where the woods had been cleared for power lines. There were tons of deer stands but I didn't see anyone out bow hunting. We followed the road for the last 12 miles or so to get back on the trail at foxfarm road. I was so excited to be at the trail head I started down the first trail I saw. It was the one they were working on back toward Duluth. We stayed at the new camp site. It looked like we were the first ones to stay there. I was really enjoying the views and the weather but after a couple more days I decided my feet couldn't take anymore and I called home for a ride. We went a good hundred twenty miles or so and it was a really good trip. This was my first long distance hike, and I'm looking forward to the next one. It got cold enough to freeze my water a couple nights but I stayed warm. A big thanks to Stormcrow for getting me a winter incubator in time for the trip. Next year I will be investing in a good pair of hiking boots.

Last edited by DeeGore; 10-11-2010 at 23:20. Reason: fixing pictures
    "what do you suppose will satisfy the soul, except to walk free and own no superior" Walt Whitman

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    Chinook 9.6x9.6
    Insulation
    AH New River UQ
    Suspension
    Came with the BB
    Images
    Its too bad that you had to cut your thru hike short. Were the boots new and not broken in or were they just cheap?

Anyhow the pictures were great, and you had some quality time with your best friend. Thanks for sharing.
    I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority. - E. B. White (1899 - 1985)

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Sounds like a big adventure!!!!
    I have yet to do the Duluth section because of the no camping thing. Glad you stealthed...........
    I admire your verve!!!!!!!!!
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Even with good hiking boots walking on paved trail is horrible on the feet.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird, WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Jarbidge and Down
    Suspension
    Straps and Buckles
    I can't imagine hiking the Munger Trail. You made it a lot farther than I would have on that pavement. It's great on a bike, though.

Sections of the Duluth part of the trail are pretty nice. Better luck to you next time. It's on my list, but I've got to get in much better condition before I can seriously attempt it.

ETA: What kind of pack do you have for your friend? I need to get something and he looks about the same size as my Golden.
    Last edited by AScott; 10-09-2010 at 13:45. Reason: added question about dog pack.
    If your lucky enough to be outdoors, your lucky enough!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    I think any time you come away learning something and completing part of your vision its a success. Good for you to stick with it and also knowing when to quit. Think how much better it will be next time with what you've learned. Thanks for sharing.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    That looked like quite the adventure. Asphalt does suck the life out of a good hike and most hiking footwear is not made for it.
    How'd your dog enjoy the trip? I'm having to leave mine home for the next bit as it is bear and boar season. A pack of those hunting dogs will rip a hiking dog to shreds.

Hammock
    diy gathered end
    Tarp
    diy 11 x 8
    Insulation
    incubator-stealth
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Veto 65 View Post
    Its too bad that you had to cut your thru hike short. Were the boots new and not broken in or were they just cheap?

Anyhow the pictures were great, and you had some quality time with your best friend. Thanks for sharing.
    I was hiking in some cheap imatation keen sandals. They were great for drying fast after water crossings and rain. I barefoot alot so I thought I would be alright. Oh well, lesson learned. Had a good time while it lasted.

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Sounds like a big adventure!!!!
    I have yet to do the Duluth section because of the no camping thing. Glad you stealthed...........
    I admire your verve!!!!!!!!!
    Shug
    Thanks Shug, it sounds like if I would have made it farther along I might have ran into you. That would have been a treat. Although if I didn't know who you were it would have been scarey hearing Karl Childers order up some fried taters through a hole in a tree.

Quote Originally Posted by pizza View Post
    Even with good hiking boots walking on paved trail is horrible on the feet.
    I found that out the hard way. I borrowed my brothers foot soaker-massager thing to help with my recovery. Next time I'll hitch-hike to the trail head.

Quote Originally Posted by AScott View Post
    I can't imagine hiking the Munger Trail. You made it a lot farther than I would have on that pavement. It's great on a bike, though.

Sections of the Duluth part of the trail are pretty nice. Better luck to you next time. It's on my list, but I've got to get in much better condition before I can seriously attempt it.

ETA: What kind of pack do you have for your friend? I need to get something and he looks about the same size as my Golden.
    I biked it a few years back, very nice bike trail. My dogs pack is a REI adventure dog pack. He is 80lbs and the large is just about too big for him. After a couple days I noticed the middle strap was rubbing him raw behind his front legs, so I cut the strap off. It still rides pretty good, just that it can now slide off over his head on steep descents. No big deal, it only happened a couple of times.

Quote Originally Posted by mbiraman View Post
    I think any time you come away learning something and completing part of your vision its a success. Good for you to stick with it and also knowing when to quit. Think how much better it will be next time with what you've learned. Thanks for sharing.
    Very true. I already am looking forward to finishing it next year with some comfortable foot wear.

Quote Originally Posted by wisenber View Post
    That looked like quite the adventure. Asphalt does suck the life out of a good hike and most hiking footwear is not made for it.
    How'd your dog enjoy the trip? I'm having to leave mine home for the next bit as it is bear and boar season. A pack of those hunting dogs will rip a hiking dog to shreds.
    Kaya is a very high energy dog and even a weeks worth of dog food in his pack didn't seem to slow him down. I think his sense of adventure might be bigger than mine. Last year in Arizona some coyotes came into camp while we were roasting hot dogs. He took it upon himself to chase them away. I was worried because I hear they like to draw dogs away and team up on them, but he came back without any new scars. Now I keep him on a leash most of the time. I don't know how he'd react to a bear. He did scare off a couple animals at night with a mean sounding growl.
    "what do you suppose will satisfy the soul, except to walk free and own no superior" Walt Whitman

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Hex/Grizz Beak
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I like the campsite on the hill. Try doing that with anything but a hammock!

Jerry
    The "Search" function is your friend!

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

Question

Enjoyed the report, but none of your photos will pull up for me. Are they at expired links, maybe? Anyway, just FYI.

Rain Man

"You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast