Images

Chattoga River/Diallard, GA hang

Hey gang,
    Looking to plan a trip to take my son, his friend and friend's dad to the Chattoga River near Dillard, GA. I've done this a long time ago and we RV camped the short bit we were there. Can someone give me some info on great spots to hammock hang, trails to hit, etc. Using NOC for the river part but wanted to get a forums take on trails, sites, etc. Probably a late spring or late summer trip timeline.

Hammock
    WBBB Double 1.7
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Burrow,Yetti,WInc
    Suspension
    webbing/Dutchclips
    I think that there might be a few spots worthy of hanging a hammock... ;-)

Check out Burrels Ford just below the fish hatchery.
    “He doesn't know the meaning of the word fear, but then again he doesn't know the meaning of most words”
    - Bobby Bowden

Hammock
    BB 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Muskrat View Post
    I think that there might be a few spots worthy of hanging a hammock... ;-)

Check out Burrels Ford just below the fish hatchery.
    Gets my vote too! One of my favorites

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images

Images
    That's what I'm talking about, Jack! Nice! You sir are a friend indeed. That will work perfect. My boy is getting pumped for this one.
    Dad too.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    The Foothills Trail follows the river for quite a while before wandering off towards Oconnee State Park. It's an awfully pretty hike, and is signed/blazed very well. Might be worth a day trip if you want.
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Images
    There is a fantastic place for country cooking in or near Dillard, I think it might be called the "Dillard House"? Too many years, can't remember, but I do remember it was real good eating! You should look for it after your hike and camp!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    There is a fantastic place for country cooking in or near Dillard, I think it might be called the "Dillard House"? Too many years, can't remember, but I do remember it was real good eating! You should look for it after your hike and camp!
    I'm very familiar with it sir. Last time I went there a buddy and I traded Smith County watermelons for some of Mr. Dillard's peanut brittle and we ate that night at the Dillard House. Guess what the fruit on the table was...you guessed it. Fine meal and we still got some of that awesome watermelon. Had a great time talking with the old man (Mr. Dillard himself). That was over twenty years ago. God rest his soul.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    BMJ w/pullouts
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Huggers/whoopies
    How long do you want to hike? What do you want to see? There are a number of waterfalls that can be accessed from Burrells Ford.

Less than half a mile north is a short spur to Spoonauger Falls which is quite nice.

If you head south from the outhouse at BF, there is a spur trail about half a mile in that leads to Kings Creek Falls which is very beautiful indeed!

About 3.5 miles south of BF, Big Bend Falls occurs right on the Chattooga River itself. There is a little spur trail that plunges thru the brush right down to the falls (I mean dip your hands in the white water if you dare)!

Of course, there's also Ellicott Rock about 3.6 miles north of BF, but that is definitely the least impressive visually. I guess it would be cool to talk about the history though and see where three states all come together.

There are dozens of great campsites along the trail north of BF, but the pickings get somewhat thinner if you head south. There are still a few though, and they are almost all nice.
    "The Road goes ever on and on,
    Down from the door where it began.
    Now far ahead the Road has gone,
    And I must follow, if I can.
    Pursuing it with eager feet
    Until it joins some larger way
    Where many paths and errands meet.
    And whither then? I cannot say."
    ~Bilbo Baggins - LotR

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Str1der View Post
    How long do you want to hike? What do you want to see? There are a number of waterfalls that can be accessed from Burrells Ford.

Less than half a mile north is a short spur to Spoonauger Falls which is quite nice.

If you head south from the outhouse at BF, there is a spur trail about half a mile in that leads to Kings Creek Falls which is very beautiful indeed!

About 3.5 miles south of BF, Big Bend Falls occurs right on the Chattooga River itself. There is a little spur trail that plunges thru the brush right down to the falls (I mean dip your hands in the white water if you dare)!

Of course, there's also Ellicott Rock about 3.6 miles north of BF, but that is definitely the least impressive visually. I guess it would be cool to talk about the history though and see where three states all come together.

There are dozens of great campsites along the trail north of BF, but the pickings get somewhat thinner if you head south. There are still a few though, and they are almost all nice.
    Excellent info Str1der. The falls will definately be a must sees. Working on the number of days with the other dad now. Definately a half day on the river for the whitewater (will likely hang the night before). After that maybe two more nights of hanging at different places in the area. Burrells Ford looks to be a great spot to spend a couple days hiking, playing and hanging.

• + New Posts