WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    HG: CF 4S
    Insulation
    HG: TQ. UQ
    Suspension
    WS and Dutch Hooks

Detachable Ridgeline

I have a Dutch Ti ridgeline biner and was thinking of installing it on my WBBB.

I find the ridgeline to be of the correct length for comfort when I am lying down, so I do not want to change the length of the ridgeline when I install the biner.

Should I make a new ridgeline with the biner installed?

Can I splice the biner into the existing ridgeline without losing length?

What is the overall length of a WBBB ridgeline?

Any suggestions?
    "When you see something wobble, push it."
    - Unknown

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    The overall length of the ridgeline is 100". You could probably add a removable biner - at the most, it might add just a tiny bit of length.

To do it, you would want to remove the suspension from one end (videos of how to do so are on Warbonnet's site), pull the ridgeline out of the gathered end, attach the ridgeline biner and then attach that biner to the suspension rope down at the gathered end that you just removed it from. Then, you can attach/un-attach the biner as necessary moving forward. I hope that makes sense...

Just out of curiosity, why did you want to add a biner to the system? I don't find the ridgeline on my BB to get in the way much.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by breyman View Post
    Just out of curiosity, why did you want to add a biner to the system? I don't find the ridgeline on my BB to get in the way much.
    Sometimes it's nice to have a completely unobstructed view. Also nice when you're using the hammock as a chair to not have a ridgeline in the way.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Trail Issues? Please let me know.
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I made a detachable RL for mine so I can remove it when using the hammock as a lounging chair otherwise its in the way.
    IMO you should take off the RL and make a new one. Make a continuous loop or a length of line with two fixed loops and then make a long length with two fixed loops. Install one end of the short length on one end of the hammock and the one fixed loop of the long length on the other end of the hammock. Now all you have to do is use the Dutch RL biner to connect the two. Just have to make it so the detachable RL is the same length as the present RL.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    HG: CF 4S
    Insulation
    HG: TQ. UQ
    Suspension
    WS and Dutch Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by breyman View Post

The reason want to add the biner to my ridgeline is to get the ridgeline out-of-the-way when I'm sitting in. I am almost 6'2" tall and it just gets in the way. It does not get in the right at all for my six year-old twins when they sit in the hammock as they are short.

I have 25 feet of Dynaglide line and about 120" of Amsteel line in my box of hammock stuff so I could go with either if I made a new one as suggested.

My thought is, I would want to do a locked Brummel at both ends of the line and connect the biner on the fixed loops.

If I go the Amsteel I generally do a six-inch very on the continuous loops I have made and taking that much out of the existing ridgeline would make it for too short. It looks like I will have just enough Amsteel in my box to fashion a ridgeline with the two fixed loops.

If I go with the Dynaglide, I am not sure how long to make the bury on the Brummel, maybe 4-5 inches.
    Last edited by UrsaMajor1887; 12-18-2012 at 16:27. Reason: Correction
    "When you see something wobble, push it."
    - Unknown

Hammock
    All of them.
    Tarp
    OES 4 Season,Cuben
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I did this with my Blackbird too. I made one section with two fixed loops and one whoopie sling with 3 inches of adjustability because I wasn't sure that I could get the size just right. The whoopie sling allowed me to fine tune the length to 100".

I think the rule of thumb for buries in Amsteel is 2 fids where a fid is 21 times the diameter. So, applying that to your Dyneema, if the diameter is 2mm, the bury should be 2x21x2mm= 84mm= 3.3 inches. Three fids would be about 5 inches. Rope experts, please correct me if I'm wrong.

David

• + New Posts