Help with underquilt and topquilt in texas weather

So i ordered a warbonnet blackbird xlc several days ago and now i'm looking ahead to the next orders i need to make.
    Most of the places i camp will be within 100 miles of houston so the weather will most likely be humid and hot.
    The only requirement i have is it has to come in multicam.
    I have my eye on a Uderground quilts zeppelin and i was wondering what tempature i should get,i really don't want to buy 2 underquilts so i was thinking i could get a 20 degree and vent it when it's warm out.would this work ok?I was also thinking full length because my feet get colder than the rest of my body and don't really like the idea of a seperate piece of insulation that will more than likely move.
    For a top "quilt" i was thinking a woobie (poncho liner) and maybe a cottton sheet so it doesn't stick to me.

Any tips or suggestions?

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Sky Bed
    Tarp
    DD 10'x10'
    Insulation
    SI mat, 3/4 UQ
    Suspension
    Straps/cinch buckl
    The first thing you need to do is to work out what the most extreme conditions you are likely to encounter are, and equip for that. If you think you might find yourself camping in 30 deg conditions then you might be best to get a 20deg setup as insurance. A full length UQ is good if you don't need to worry too much about weight or space. For me comfort is everything. I would rather go a bit bulkier and know I'm warm than to go minimal and have to improvise for extreme conditions I didn't prepare for.

I now use a Hammock Bliss Sky Bed which takes a fitted sleeping pad, so mostly an under quilt isn't needed, but you definitely need more insul on the bottom than the top in my experience. A woobie on it's own might be a bit thin for conditions where you need a 20 deg under quilt. I'd look at increasing the insulation on top. If you can afford a down under quilt, why not go the same with the top quilt? Maybe a 30 or 40 deg top quilt will be enough for any conditions you might be likely to find yourself in?

Just my 2c.

Quote Originally Posted by goanywhere View Post
    The first thing you need to do is to work out what the most extreme conditions you are likely to encounter are, and equip for that. If you think you might find yourself camping in 30 deg conditions then you might be best to get a 20deg setup as insurance. A full length UQ is good if you don't need to worry too much about weight or space. For me comfort is everything. I would rather go a bit bulkier and know I'm warm than to go minimal and have to improvise for extreme conditions I didn't prepare for.

I now use a Hammock Bliss Sky Bed which takes a fitted sleeping pad, so mostly an under quilt isn't needed, but you definitely need more insul on the bottom than the top in my experience. A woobie on it's own might be a bit thin for conditions where you need a 20 deg under quilt. I'd look at increasing the insulation on top. If you can afford a down under quilt, why not go the same with the top quilt? Maybe a 30 or 40 deg top quilt will be enough for any conditions you might be likely to find yourself in?

Just my 2c.
    30 degrees is about the lowest i'd probably go out in so i guess a 20 degree quilt is what i need,can i vent it ok in warmer weather?also will high humidity mess up the down?

I was going to get a kifaru woobie or maybe a doobie(expensive poncho liner),the woobie is 40 degrees and the doobie is 20 degrees.I want one of them instead of a down top quilt because there more multifunctional,water resistant and because i already wanted one anyway sooo....

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I live in south Louisiana. Me and both boys have 20 degree UQs. It is easier to vent than to get warm.

Quote Originally Posted by Nodust View Post
    I live in south Louisiana. Me and both boys have 20 degree UQs. It is easier to vent than to get warm.
    Thanks for the help.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Click on the Underwoobie link in my signature.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkOne View Post
    30 degrees is about the lowest i'd probably go out in so i guess a 20 degree quilt is what i need,can i vent it ok in warmer weather?also will high humidity mess up the down?

I was going to get a kifaru woobie or maybe a doobie(expensive poncho liner),the woobie is 40 degrees and the doobie is 20 degrees.I want one of them instead of a down top quilt because there more multifunctional,water resistant and because i already wanted one anyway sooo....

Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    Click on the Underwoobie link in my signature.
    That is pretty cool,i think i'm going with the UGQ but i might get one of these later,thanks for the link.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ FJ + Lynx
    Suspension
    Dutchware Cinches
    Images
    I have UGQ quilts and I have a 0º Zeppelin and a 20º Flight Jacket. I sleep cold and spend time in the Ozarks, so I wanted extra warmth. I have no trouble sleeping comfortably with the 0º in very warm temps. I have slept with it fully vented in the 60s without any issues being too warm. If you are not a cold sleeper, you will probably be very happy with the 20º set for your plans. As Nodust pointed out, it is easy to vent, being sure you are warm should be your concern.

• + New Posts