DH thunderbird, TTTG switchback
    Tarp
    OMW
    Insulation
    pads, -25*UQ,0*TQ
    Suspension
    whoopies, straps

successful deep winter set ups

so I am curious as to what people have used in a deep winter set up. all the gear right down to layers they slept in. I also would like to know what temps they have managed to sleep comfortably or uncomfortably in. I figure this way it might narrow options of what I need to put on my " want " list.
    I have seen stairguy's modified polar pod. I think it is 53 oz of 800 fill in it. started me drooling. what else is out there?

Images
    lots of good threads on this subject already

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DeRozea View Post
    so I am curious as to what people have used in a deep winter set up. all the gear right down to layers they slept in. I also would like to know what temps they have managed to sleep comfortably or uncomfortably in. I figure this way it might narrow options of what I need to put on my " want " list.
    I have seen stairguy's modified polar pod. I think it is 53 oz of 800 fill in it. started me drooling. what else is out there?

Go dig up some shug videos, he covers this subject very well

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    HG std CF3
    Insulation
    Yeti; Mt. Wash. 4
    Suspension
    Dutchware kevlar
    Images
    Here's a link to one of many videos you'll find on this topic in this forum:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEzq2...B9C49A&index=7

The annual Minnesota Frozen Butt Hang seems to get better every year.
    "I go because it irons out the wrinkles in my soul." -- Sigurd Olson

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    HG:Burrow/Incubato
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

successful deep winter set ups

I am no where near the king of cold. 22 below is my personal best. here in Idaho I get some cold weather to play in. hammockgear quilts are the key in my opinion.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DeRozea View Post
    The deep cold guys can advise way up north guy like you well, but I just don't have much deep cold. No deep winter for me way down here in MS, not by your standards. But, some deep winter for me by my standards, which has amounted to a few 10Fs, a bunch of teens and 20s, some in good winds with no tarp, and some mighty wet. But 10F or -40, or a wet, windy 30F, it's just a matter of adding more insulation and having the wind and wet well blocked, and maybe doing something to keep your vapor from condensing in your insulation. IMO. Sometimes my approach is like my clothing, a matter of layering.

So for my deep winter, here are a few examples:
    I have used a stock 20F Speer PeaPod at 10F with the addition of a space blanket under the hammock and a 40F or maybe 50F ancient Quallofil liner bag added as a TQ. I was probably wearing my standard camp clothing of Polarguard pants that weigh 8 oz and a hooded top that weighs about 12 oz, stuff I would have with me anyway. Nice and warm especially when I fully closed the pod, then I was toasty.

I have done 27F with the same gear except no TQ, but using the above mentioned clothing + a down vest- all the stuff I always have with me on winter trips- layered on top of me to fill any top gaps in the PeaPod. No problems, but top warmth was not all that warm, not sure how much colder I could have gone.

I have done similar temps in the stock PeaPod after adding my super light IX UQ in place of a space blanket, and just wearing ( or draped over me) heavy fleece clothing of the type I would often have on a winter trip. Mostly had to vent a lot because I was way too warm.

I have done 11F using a JRB MW4 under a JRB bridge hammock with the usual warm clothing in a 21 oz Golight TQ wich was originally rated at 20F but I think it is now rated at 40f. I was just OK. I later swapped out the Golight quilt with an old 5F rated Polarguard NF bag, then I had luxurious warmth. Using the exact same set up at( with the light 21 oz TQ) in the mid 20s on a wet, snowy, windy trip in the Sipsey with an HF group, I was just on the verge of not being warm enough until I added my separate down hood, which quickly got me to toasty warm the rest of the night.

I have done 14F, no tarp with a 6F windchill, inside a HH Supershelter with the kidney/torso pads + a down vest and fleece heavy jacket underneath the stock HH pad with space blanket, and using that same 5F PG NF bag on top, both as a bag and later as a TQ. Toasty warm, could definitely have gone colder!

Using that same bag, and two summer weight pads in an SPE and that same NF bag and no tarp, was absolutely toasty at 18F.

That's a few of my so called deep winter examples. We just don't get much of that below zero stuff down here, so hard to test. But, we do get a fair amount of high wind 33F heavy rain, and that can be mighty hard to deal with in it's own right. In fact, if you can't stay dry and out of that wind, it will kill you fast.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 09-25-2013 at 22:36.

Hammock
    pick one
    Tarp
    large, Mia palace
    Insulation
    anything warm
    Suspension
    tree or poles
    Mostly desert winter camping not the temps you are use to ours is in the 30's only during the night using my exped dream walker as a TQ with UQ or can set as full length zipped over my hammock to include the UQ if cold. The link is a full body 20 degree suit now add this to your insulation.

http://www.nunatakusa.com/site07/other_bags/raku.htm
    Last edited by arczeneb; 09-25-2013 at 23:07.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Doctari always puts a good list of tips together for the Mt Rogers January hang.
    Skip down a bit in the thread.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=77959

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx and Burrow
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    I used a 0* UQ + DIY UQ (rated for 40*) for under insulation. Then for the top I used 20* bag stacked with a 0* bag. I also had a small CCF sit pad under my feet. I slept in thermal base layers and down pants, down jacket and down booties..... it was -20* F and I was sweating... ended up stripping way down to just base layers and was plenty warm. That's the coldest I've done, but I have since updated my gear with better UQ's and TQ's and I have used just my one UQ and TQ with a sit pad under my butt to around 0* just fine and was just in thermal base layers and hat. the CCF really really does a good job in the cold.
    The camper formerly known as HikingDad...

Hammock
    WB BBXLC and DIY
    Tarp
    UP
    Insulation
    DOWN
    Suspension
    30 DEGREES
    So what your saying hikingdad is that you can't wait for this years Wisconsin Frozen Butt! Ha! well i'm going be posting it up in the next day or so since everyone seems to be going through their winter gear. Derozea, if you scroll through the last few pages of the MN or Wisconsin Frozen Butt Hangs, a lot of us have posted reviews on our set ups. It's great to wonder around those threads, especially on those hot summer days.
    Owner and guide at nowoutdoors.org
    www.meetup.com/Wilderness-Adventure-Group/
    https://www.facebook.com/NickAtNowOutdoors/

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast