Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Alamosa View Post
    As stated, it is all about flexibility. The size of the trees determine how much webbing is needed to go around it. The toggle lets you include only the amount of webbing which is actually needed in each setup and the remainder can just hang loose. Without the toggle, you would have use that extra in your suspension line potentially causing you to need some very long spans to use it up.
    Well said. If you ever set up between trees fairly close together you'll like using the toggle/marlin spike on your webbing. Sometimes the tree is too big to wrap your straps around twice and too small around leaving you with too much webbing left over. Now even when adjusting your whoopies as short as they'll go you are stuck in a situation where your suspension is too long. I think of the toggle as the fine tuner. In general I like to position my marlin spike/toggle about 4 to 6 inches from the tree but have had to go as close as possible on a couple occasions when tree selection was limited.

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    I just recently switched over to whoopies on my HH ED, and my biggest concern was the possibility of the whoopie coming over/off of the knot and/or having the toggle fall out of the knot. I toss and turn a lot, and so there's a good bit of bouncing on the suspension.

My solution was what Towellie suggested...replace the toggles with climbing grade 'biners. Do the MSH knot as usual, but run the biner through the knot in place of the toggle. No chance that it can fall out, and you simply hook the whoopie directly onto the biner. Quick, easy, no fuss, no stress.

And...you still retain two points of adjustability on either end...the whoopie and the position of the MSH knot.

Hard to lose the biner...it just clips to your pack when it's not on your suspension, or it can stay attached to the whoopie.
    Yep, biners work great in place of toggles. I do that sometimes when not concerned about the extra weight. Toggles are lighter...heck you can even use a stick for a toggle if you want and leave the toggles and biners at home.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    You need a toggle if you don't have Dutch Clips
    Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL,HH Scout Zip (son's)
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    3S UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies - a must!
    Thanks for all responses! I kind of figured it was just for more flexibility. (Or if you buy a pre-made whoopie - then I totally understand.)

Seems as though if the trees are too close, I could still tie the marlin spike using a stick, and slip the end of the whoopie over that. My suspension will still be one continuous piece with nothing to tie (or lose) for the majority of the hangs. So far my son hasn't had any issue with tree spacing and that issue is waaaaay easier to deal with than always having to look for flat, dry ground .

The biner idea is a good one for the marlin spike, but I'm trying to take weight out. In fact, I just replaced the biners on the tree huggers with Dutch Clips - man those things are sweet!

As far as the abrasion problem goes, I hadn't considered that piece. I wonder if I could find some sleeve to install into the adjustable end of the whoopie. I'lll have to work on that. One of those cable turn insert things would be perfect if it wouldn't fall out and could slide on the whoopie. There has to be some light weight solution here...

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL,HH Scout Zip (son's)
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    3S UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies - a must!
    And with that post, I totally have access to the PIF section!

Hammock
    Eno DL, Deep Jungle XL, Kammock Roo
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ quilts!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies and web
    also, to simplify:

most people wrap the hugger around the tree and back thru the looped end, whereas youre using the clips and letting the loop dangle. so the MSH and Toggle act as the loop
    Give a man fire and he's warm for the night.
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life. Dante

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Baby Orca/Klymit
    Suspension
    straps/c buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by The Weezer's Dad View Post
    And with that post, I totally have access to the PIF section!
    whoo hoo!!!

just remember to update the spreadsheet found on the first page
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

AT '12. AT '14. FT '15. CA '15.

anyone ever just made a larks head with the tree hugger around the adjustable loop in a whoopie sling? no 'biners or toggles or what have you?

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I got a pair of toggles made from deer antler from a member here (Loneoak).They come with me on the every trip and it's also fun to make knots. Plus, the flexibility is pretty cool too.

Fronkey

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Balloons
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Fronkey View Post
    I got a pair of toggles made from deer antler from a member here (Loneoak).They come with me on the every trip and it's also fun to make knots. Plus, the flexibility is pretty cool too.

Fronkey
    Yeah! I prefer to catch a deer to snap my toggles off of instead of looking for a trail stick on the ground. It is much more challenging, and the antler pieces are stronger than random trail sticks. I don't have to be careful to place my whoopies on the knot. I can just loop them over the antler section.
    I love the unimproved works of God. - Horace Kephart

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast