Simply Light Tree Runner SL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 8x10
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts Top/Btm
    Suspension
    Whoopies!!

Cary State Forest Day hike

Met with WetRivrRat today and had a short hike and a leisurely hang. Did some scouting for future group hangs. I really like this state forest.
    It was great meeting WetRivrRat. Outstanding guy. Great conversations.
    Looking forward to getting some good hiking in with a like minded individual. I mean that as a complement. LOL

Aww shucks, thanks man!

It was a good hike - and good conversation

I'm really growing to like Cary SF, it's jut the right amount of everything, distance from town, peacefulness, quantity of trails, etc...

I'm really hoping that we can work it out with the land managers to use the property for group hangs in the future.

BTW, this guy is the MacGyver of missing gear! I forgot my eating utensil and didn't realize it until after I had already cooked up my food. have no fear, MacGyver is here! No less than thirty seconds later he hands me a makeshift spoon cut out if the side of his half liter coke (water) bottle
    I think I'll keep it and use it as my primary utensil simply because it just worked SO well.

It's currently in the sink waiting to be cleaned, but hopefully once I get it cleaned I'll take a pic - cuz, well... pics or it didn't happen, right?
    We all know of the original "Walk off the war" thru-hike - but, check out these guys, they're helping folks 'walk off the war' today -
    Donate to help fund gear for the warriors who are coming back home and need help walking off the war!
    WarriorHike.com

Images
    Looks comfortable in that hammock!

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 8x10
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts Top/Btm
    Suspension
    Whoopies!!
    That's his new 1.1 DL hammock. I was very impressed with his thread injector skills.
    What did I learn? Nylon rope is like freaking bungee chords on a hammock. LOL

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Nylon is da debbil!

Glad y'all had a good time. I still feel like crud.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Trail Issues? Please let me know.
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Quote Originally Posted by SkunkApe View Post
    Nylon rope is like freaking bungee chords on a hammock. LOL
    I feel it necessary to point out that the hammock was hung level and taut, before I got in it as shown in the picture above I actually had to retighten it after this and pulled out over a foot of 'extra' rope...

That all said, it was all I had around the house and I NEEDED to introduce the new hammock to the wild outdoors
    We all know of the original "Walk off the war" thru-hike - but, check out these guys, they're helping folks 'walk off the war' today -
    Donate to help fund gear for the warriors who are coming back home and need help walking off the war!
    WarriorHike.com

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11 WB
    Insulation
    3S Phnx/1S GoLite
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WetRivrRat View Post
    I'm really growing to like Cary SF, it's jut the right amount of everything, distance from town, peacefulness, quantity of trails, etc...

I'm really hoping that we can work it out with the land managers to use the property for group hangs in the future.
    Just let me know if you'd like for me to give them a call to pass along your compliments and your request for a group hang. Since it is a state forest your chances are pretty good but it never hurts to have someone from inside the agency make the first contact/request

Dave
    The best things in life aren't things. -- Art Buchwald

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 8x10
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts Top/Btm
    Suspension
    Whoopies!!
    Ahh, good point! Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by samsara View Post
    Just let me know if you'd like for me to give them a call to pass along your compliments and your request for a group hang. Since it is a state forest your chances are pretty good but it never hurts to have someone from inside the agency make the first contact/request

Dave
    Absolutely! I think that would be great.

I've camped out there enough that the ranger (Damon) has started to recognize me when I call to request permits. We've talked about hammocks and the small (4-10 people) groups that I try to get out there to hammock camp. He's always been cordial to me regarding the type of access we've requested.
    My thought was to go down there one day to demonstrate how we use the land, and the benefits of hammock camping over trad-camping, lack of destruction, use of LNT principles, etc...

After this weekend's hike and all I was thinking about calling him this week to set that up, but absolutely if you're able to help out in any way with that I think we'd Definately all benefit from that.

SkunkApe and I counted out at least 20+ places where we could hang from, and possiblly more if we were allowed 'off-site' access that were fairly well aggregated between two campsites. I've previously counted out about 7-9 spots at another campsite on the property as well so that puts us pretty close to 30 places.
    I'm guessing we could work with the managers to find more places once they see the way we take care of things rather than destroying them.

Thanks so much Dave!
    WarriorHike.com

• + New Posts