Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by harrellt View Post
    I've been thinking about this idea for a couple of days now. Instead of loops, maybe a lightweight metal tab to stick on the hammock magnet. You could then sandwich that metal tab between the hammock magnet and the underlayer magnet. That way if you needed to remove the bottom layer/weather shield, you wouldn't lose your insulation. Just my second two cents.
    That would probably work well harrellt. Good idea.

I had the thought that if he sewed on a flat piece of around 7/8" to 1" grosgrain with one of the magnets sewn in the end by doubling the grosgrain over and making a pocket, it would hold very well. When those little guys get together, they are amazingly strong! There is enough play in the hem that the magnets could be flipped as needed to keep the polarity right to keep them all attracted to each other in sequence. I bought some 7/8 grosgrain when gathering materials for this project in case I wanted to run it along the edges, but I didn't think it was needed. It seems wide enough to do the tabs for the UQ.

One great thing about this system is that since the two layers aren't sewn together, they don't get extremely tight(unless you make it) when you climb in, and the insulation does not seem to want to skid around under that pressure like in a standard DL setup.

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    Sweet idea, it seems to me that your idea could be incorporated into a bugnet as well, the HH design among others seem to lock ya' in. But with the RE magnets a quick exit seems really easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiknhanger View Post
    That would probably work well harrellt. Good idea.

I had the thought that if he sewed on a flat piece of around 7/8" to 1" grosgrain with one of the magnets sewn in the end by doubling the grosgrain over and making a pocket, it would hold very well. When those little guys get together, they are amazingly strong! There is enough play in the hem that the magnets could be flipped as needed to keep the polarity right to keep them all attracted to each other in sequence. I bought some 7/8 grosgrain when gathering materials for this project in case I wanted to run it along the edges, but I didn't think it was needed. It seems wide enough to do the tabs for the UQ.

One great thing about this system is that since the two layers aren't sewn together, they don't get extremely tight(unless you make it) when you climb in, and the insulation does not seem to want to skid around under that pressure like in a standard DL setup.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtwheels View Post
    Sweet idea, it seems to me that your idea could be incorporated into a bugnet as well, the HH design among others seem to lock ya' in. But with the RE magnets a quick exit seems really easy.
    Thanks, and trust me dirtwheels, I have had the wheels churnin' on bugnet possibilities! I thought about maybe incorporating dejoha's HUG design with magnets somehow. Might be able to bypass the shock cord that passes underneath if the sides are attached via the magnets. I have some Tulle lying around that I hope to play with this long weekend. Gotta go back to Harbor Freight for more magnets!

Hammock
    grand trunk skeeter beeter pro
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    home made UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    instead of adding more magnets for the bug net you could use some small washers sewn directly to the tule (through the middle) and they would stick to the magnets you already have in place.and would probobly save a little on weight. or even some really thin shock cord going from washer to washer (streached slightly) . so you can get a tight seal against the hammock and keep the bugs out

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hanging pirate View Post
    instead of adding more magnets for the bug net you could use some small washers sewn directly to the tule (through the middle) and they would stick to the magnets you already have in place.and would probobly save a little on weight. or even some really thin shock cord going from washer to washer (streached slightly) . so you can get a tight seal against the hammock and keep the bugs out
    Good ideas! Thanks. I might incorporate a mix of both magnets and washers, using magnets where I need the most holding power, and washers elsewhere. Since the magnets are so small to begin with, I don't know how much weight may be saved, but there could be some difference.

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    I play alot of golf, and noticed several club manufacturers making head covers w/magnets. They are not rare earth, but are strong enough so that when I putt or use a hybrid I a can hang the cover from the face or shaft of another club. I did try to find similar magnet material (small diameter cylinders) but failed and resorted to Northern Tool's rare earth mags to repair my daughters Scotty Cameron cover which would cost $100 to replace with Scotty's short lasting Velcro model. I agree with the guy that suggested small washers given the minimal thickness of the material and the strength of the magnets.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiknhanger View Post
    Thanks, and trust me dirtwheels, I have had the wheels churnin' on bugnet possibilities! I thought about maybe incorporating dejoha's HUG design with magnets somehow. Might be able to bypass the shock cord that passes underneath if the sides are attached via the magnets. I have some Tulle lying around that I hope to play with this long weekend. Gotta go back to Harbor Freight for more magnets!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtwheels View Post
    I play alot of golf, and noticed several club manufacturers making head covers w/magnets. They are not rare earth, but are strong enough so that when I putt or use a hybrid I a can hang the cover from the face or shaft of another club. I did try to find similar magnet material (small diameter cylinders) but failed and resorted to Northern Tool's rare earth mags to repair my daughters Scotty Cameron cover which would cost $100 to replace with Scotty's short lasting Velcro model. I agree with the guy that suggested small washers given the minimal thickness of the material and the strength of the magnets.
    Thanks for the input dirtwheels. I had mentioned the combination possibility because the idea of a full length net came to mind. I could use the stronger bond of the magnets towards the foot end where I want it to pretty much stay put, and the washers closer to the entry/exit area so I don't have a fight on my hands trying to get out. They form quite a bond when you have three together.

Hammock
    Thunderbird
    Tarp
    ShangriLa&BullFrog
    Insulation
    zepplin, burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Looking great. Here's a trick: take some silicone (a tube from hard ware store) and sticking several magnets to a Neoair pad, then suspending it from the bottom of a single layer. Could potentially cut the weight for people who like to carry a ground pad with them. BTW-- a product called Sugru plays well with magnets. For example, suspend water bottle or shoes from hammock edge.

...and people thought I was kidding when I mentioned this on an other post:

Quote Originally Posted by SnoreMachine View Post
    Non-traditional... like magnets in your shirt and in the under-quilt?

NEODYMIUM DISC MAGNETS
    http://www.kjmagnetics.com

LOL. I was. Keep up the great innovations!!
    “I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.”
    ― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

Hammock
    Thunderbird
    Tarp
    ShangriLa&BullFrog
    Insulation
    zepplin, burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    PS Please warn people with pacemakers and other implanted devices about the magnets in the hammock.....
    “I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.”
    ― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Looking great. Here's a trick: take some silicone (a tube from hard ware store) and sticking several magnets to a Neoair pad, then suspending it from the bottom of a single layer. Could potentially cut the weight for people who like to carry a ground pad with them. BTW-- a product called Sugru plays well with magnets. For example, suspend water bottle or shoes from hammock edge.

...and people thought I was kidding when I mentioned this on an other post:

Thanks Snoremachine. That Sugru looks pretty cool! I appreciate the suggestions. I know some earlier posts said the magnet idea had been brought up, but no one actually did anything with it. I'm glad it seems to be working well so far. Some things on paper don't work in the real world.

LOL. I was. Keep up the great innovations!!
    PS Please warn people with pacemakers and other implanted devices about the magnets in the hammock.....
    My dad just got a pacemaker implanted last week! He's never tried my hammock out before, and I guess he'll never try this one!
    Last edited by Hiknhanger; 05-25-2012 at 10:57. Reason: Add text

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast