Thread: Sleeping Pad

Hammock
    HH Hyperlight
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe SpinnUL
    Insulation
    HHSS

Sleeping Pad

I am starting an A.T. Thru hike on April 6th and was wondering if I can leave my sleeping pad at home? I don’t need it for my HH with SS setup but it might be nice on cold nights. My concern with leaving it at home is that I won’t have anything if I need to go to the ground or if I need to spend a night in a shelter. Anyone have any experience with this.
    Thanks
    Brian

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    I've heard lots of folks say they always carry a pad in case they have to get on the ground. You could use the stock SS on the ground, if the pad were not OCF, which is useless when compressed.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ovationcs257 View Post
    I am starting an A.T. Thru hike on April 6th and was wondering if I can leave my sleeping pad at home? I don’t need it for my HH with SS setup but it might be nice on cold nights. My concern with leaving it at home is that I won’t have anything if I need to go to the ground or if I need to spend a night in a shelter. Anyone have any experience with this.
    Thanks
    Brian
    On the AT that time of year it is more of a personal decision and the experience that counts will be your own. If you start out with a pad, you don't have to finish with one. Thru hikers often adjust gear or change out what they carry as the seasons change or they find they fancy something different. Pads can get used for a lot of other things that you may like them for... or not. Laying in a hammock during the day to take a break is neat, so is laying on a pad in the sun on a rock outcrop... to each his/her own on these matters. Pulling a rolled up pad off the outside of you pack to have a cushy place to set can be a joy at times too. You will find out what does it for you.

Some people that start an AT thru hike with a hammock end up sleeping in shelters and vice versa. It's all a big adventure, enjoy yourself. Finding what gear you like is part of the adventure for some.
    Youngblood AT2000

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Sling/Web
    I use a thin strip of a WM pad for my ULA Circuit as a back panel/support. This I can use to help cure Cold Butt Syndrome or as a stand pad under my tarps. I do have an underquilt though. If you don't have an underquilt then I'd reccomend taking a pad and if your doing a distance hike of any kind I'd reccomend the same. You never know on that long of a hike when you might have to go to ground.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Nah, you don't need one. I forgot mine when I left for Springer, didn't miss it. I did end-up buying one much later, but wasn't for sleeping. It was for a seat and a hitchhiking sign; "AT Hiker to Town" on one side and "AT Hiker to Trail" on the other. Just binered it to the back of the pack and started walking. Worked great!
    Trust nobody!

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Nah, you don't need one. I forgot mine when I left for Springer, didn't miss it. I did end-up buying one much later, but wasn't for sleeping. It was for a seat and a hitchhiking sign; "AT Hiker to Town" on one side and "AT Hiker to Trail" on the other. Just binered it to the back of the pack and started walking. Worked great!
    You could get a 3/4 thermarest. They roll up small and don't weigh a ton. Not bad for sleeping either.

Speaking of biners see below.....

Hammock
    HH Hyperlight
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe SpinnUL
    Insulation
    HHSS

Thank you

Thanks for all the replies. Great idea on the seat pad!

During April there is a good chance of a cold night. I would go ahead and bring your pad.
    hello

• + New Posts