Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Hammock
    ENO Singlenest
    Tarp
    ENO Dryfly
    Seems to be a lot of hate for this guy, but i'm not sure why.
    Cuz it's not light enough? - the specs and look make it seem exactly like the eno doublenest (20oz without straps) which i think many people use- at least starting out.
    cuz it's too short? same as both the eno single and doublenests.
    cuz it's too cheap? this is a bad thing for a starter hammock? the eno with slapstraps would be $90.
    cuz he uses whoopies? Yes, they may be cheaper that amsteel whoopies, but if they work why, is that a problem?
    cuz he isn't an HF member?
    Last edited by brodieb666; 04-02-2014 at 18:03.

Hammock
    ENO Singlenest
    Tarp
    ENO Dryfly
    Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    sounds like he put cheap whoopee's on cheap Byers of Maine hammocks. ;-)
    You mean sounds like he put cheap whoopies on a cheap byers hammock and then charges half as much for it.

Hammock
    ENO Singlenest
    Tarp
    ENO Dryfly
    the price went up to 40 plus shipping. thats a little too much for an extra i don't need, without any of the bells and whistles that i've seen on other people's fancy hammocks.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx and Burrow
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    I think the issue most of us have is that he was dishonest in acquiring funds to start his business. It's my personal take that the fine people on HF try to be kind and honest, and we don't appreciate it someone trying to market to us does not share in those same code of ethics. My 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by brodieb666 View Post
    Cuz it's not light enough? - the specs and look make it seem exactly like the eno doublenest (20oz without straps) which i think many people use- at least starting out.
    cuz it's too cheap? this is a bad thing for a starter hammock? the eno with slapstraps would be $90.
    cuz he uses whoopies? Yes, they may be cheaper that amsteel whoopies, but if they work why, is that a problem?
    The camper formerly known as HikingDad...

Hammock
    Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    noah16/HH hex
    Insulation
    0 incubator/costco
    Suspension
    whoopies n straps
    Quote Originally Posted by hikingdad View Post
    I think the issue most of us have is that he was dishonest in acquiring funds to start his business. It's my personal take that the fine people on HF try to be kind and honest, and we don't appreciate it someone trying to market to us does not share in those same code of ethics. My 2 cents.
    I gotta agree with you here. It's like getting a grant by convincing a bunch of people who don't know better, that you were the first person to land on the moon, and then taking that grant money to invest in moon rocks, and then going to Nasa and asking the folks there if they would like to purchase a moon rock from the guy who first landed on the moon.
    I'm not gonna run around the world and tell everyone this guy is no astronaut, but at least don't try to sell me any of your silly moon rocks
    “All grown-ups were once children... but only few of them remember it.”

Quote Originally Posted by hikingdad View Post
    I don't really have a dog in this fight, but this seems like a pretty extreme interpretation of things if all you're basing that on is the press release you linked to earlier. The notion that the whoopies were "unique" seems to have come from whoever wrote that press release, not from Adams himself.

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by brodieb666 View Post
    I'll agree - there is some perhaps unwarranted animosity. We don't have all the facts, and even based on what is there, all we know is that he may or may not have over embellished his pitch in order to get seed money from an organization that none of us have any association with, and no stake in. That's the business world.

But the truth of the matter is this: It's really a non issue.

It's just yet another small company, trying to find a new way to market the same old thing. It's another parachute hammock. Same as ENO, and Trek Light, and Grand Trunk, and TTTM, and, and, and.

So this guy uses whoopies and straps, albeit made from materials that are not commonly held as best practice materials. And it's a bit cheaper than some. And it's marketed towards college kids. But it's still the same thing as everyone else.

So be it. Good luck, hope he makes enough to break even at least, in his own target market. I don't think the people that are members here are, ever were, or ever are going to be his target market. And you know what? That's okay.

To me, it's yet another option for something I wasn't looking for in the first place. Let him do his thing, and the free market will sort it out.

Hammock
    ENO Singlenest
    Tarp
    ENO Dryfly
    Quote Originally Posted by pinballwizard View Post
    I'm not gonna run around the world and tell everyone this guy is no astronaut, but at least don't try to sell me any of your silly moon rocks
    I don't think he plans on selling anything to us, hammockers = astronauts, but to groundhogs that don't yet know the beauty of moon rocks.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345