WarBonnet BlackBird!!!!
    Tarp
    BIG FLY (3x4m.)
    Insulation
    SnugFit & JRB HR
    Images
    Great Video.
    Good music.
    Simple enough that even I could understand what was going on!

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    you're good man. One long continuous shot, kinda like Hitchcock's movie "Rope".

The most awesome part was that evidently you were playing that guitar with your feet, because we could see your hands the whole time

I use this method also for the guylines, I can make it slightly faster and more reliably work the stake than I can with a clove hitch. Since I use tarp tensioners, there rarely is utility for me in an tautline or geehaw to make the length adjustable. One exception has been when the ground is so rocky that that I have to hunt a bit to find a place I can get a stake firmly in. Then 's easy to get the tension I want with a tautline, after placing the stake.

Grizz

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Since every one has already raggged on you about props and music, I will add to the side complimenting you. Since so much has been written about whoppie slings, toggles, marlin spikes, and hitches, I've mostly scanned as opposed to detailed reading. Somewhere I missed what the Marline Spike Hitch was and your video makes things much clearer.

Am I missing something or is it simply a slip knot with a stick through it with just a fancier name?

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleMJM View Post
    Since every one has already raggged on you about props and music, I will add to the side complimenting you. Since so much has been written about whoppie slings, toggles, marlin spikes, and hitches, I've mostly scanned as opposed to detailed reading. Somewhere I missed what the Marline Spike Hitch was and your video makes things much clearer.

Am I missing something or is it simply a slip knot with a stick through it with just a fancier name?
    What SC shows is a marlin spike slip-knot with a stick through it. "Just" a slip-knot does not do the Marlinspike hitch justice though, because there are slipknots which are subtletly different that, when used on a hammock suspension, jam horribly. I saw this with my own eyes at a hang where someone thought they were following the procedures I outlined on the video for making one, but at the critical last step did something different. What he had was still a slipknot, but after we popped the toggle it nearly took a marlin spike to undo that knot. Not so with the Marlin spike hitch.

Grizz

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleMJM View Post

Thanks everyone for the kind and fun words.

Yes UncleMJM, it is pretty much a slip know with a stick/stake through it. You have to put the slip in it the right way though or the knot will just pull out. Try tying backwards or upside down (however you want to call it) and you will know when you got it wrong... Now I read what Grizz wrote above me...I don't want to down play this knot as just another slip knot. You definately need to do things just right to make it work but it is pretty simple. Like I said, if you get it backwards you will know.

That is also what I like about it Grizz. I set the line on my spike and then I can put it in the right place almost every time. Rocks can be an issue also which is why the slip feature is so nice. I can just make the knot higher or lower up the guyline so I can get the stake in an area that I can work between rocks.

It is also super easy to loosen back off of the stake once it has been pulled tight. I also like it because it helps clean off the stake (I use the round aluminum ones) as I draw them back out through the loops. It gets a little dirt on the guy line but not enough to hurt anything. I replace my lines every once in a while, but I am cheap and use mason line...

Stormcrow

Hammock
    DIY Hammock
    Tarp
    11.5 by 10 DRW
    Insulation
    diy conversion uq
    Suspension
    webing+ cord
    Images
    if you only use the chopsticks when you don't need the tarp up how do you eat the slugs that have climbed up onto your tarp?. Don't they fall off when you un stake it?
    I reject your reality and substitute my own

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Very nice, very easy. I've been doing the same thing, with no clue what it was called (my dad showed it to me recently). BTW, just in case anyone was wondering, it doesn't require a bungie. Any cord will work. I just love how you can easily put a stake anywhere on the line, and there's never a knot to bother with afterwards. Great stuff. Thanks for putting the video together SC.
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sclittlefield View Post
    BTW, just in case anyone was wondering, it doesn't require a bungie. Any cord will work.
    Yeah I should have spent more time and used real world materials. Sorry if there was any confusion. I typically use this for regular guy line cordage (not shock cord). I also like that there is never a knot to bother with afterward.

Hammock
    Warbonnet 1.7, HH Explorer UL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    WS with Toggles
    Thanks for sharing Stormcrow. I've been cursing my clove hitch method. Just made woopie slings to try for guy lines (did it more to learn the process than to necessarily use on a regulat basis). This adds another weapon to the arsenal. Thanks

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    The Edge
    Insulation
    Incubator UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie, biner
    Images
    thanks for sharing stormcrow...indeed that does look quite simple

we should all pitch in and buy SC those collapsable chopsticks for backpacking, they're like 30 bucks or something that way he would never have to eat cake or slugs with his fingers again! I mean who would want to touch a slug?!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast