Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Evazote Pads
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

No-See-Um Woes (And a Question)

Alas, alack, DIYGearSupply is out of No-See-Um. Otherwise my massive DIY order would be complete! 4yds short of a dream...

SeattleFabrics has the best price per yard, but they charge an exorbitant $10-12 for shipping. Other places have better shipping, but are more expensive on the fabric itself.

The best option I've found - other than being patient and waiting like a normal human being - is No-see-um in Gray. But I've heard that it's harder to see out of than the traditional Black netting.

The Question: Has anyone ever tried the gray No-See-Um, or compared it to the black? How much worse is it? Are there any other things to consider when thinking about the color of the bug net? Does anyone know if mosquitoes hate a boring, drab gray in their woodland decor?

Personally, aesthetic-wise I still prefer the black. But I'm itching to get this project on the road and haven't heard from DIYGS when the netting will be back in stock.

(And for the record, yes I've considered Tulle, Nanoseeum, and other bug netting options. I'd still like to go with the standard No-see-um.)

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Have you looked at http://shop.vtarmynavy.com/insect-netting-c95.aspx
    They're shipping can be a bit high in my opinion, so make it worth while when you place an order. Also remember to "like" them on a product that you are purchasing so that you get another $3 off of the total price. The link I sent is to just one area of netting, there are a couple of areas.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY DWR nylon
    Insulation
    DIY pad
    Suspension
    Depends
    My netting is gray. I agree, and would prefer black, but that was the material I had on hand. I can still see out, it is not a big deal. I have made 4 hammocks with black, and prefer it, but...The gray seems to "jump" into my vision a little more than the black. I have a TON of tan no-see-um, and we will see (or not) how that works out. And I like your bird.
    An emergency of my own making...is still an emergency.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    thejennabird,
    PM sent.

Hammock
    DIY Hybrid "Switch-Bird"
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Evazote Pads
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    DivaB and Hippofeet, thanks for the suggestions. It sounds like, since this is gonna be "THE" hammock for me, I'll probably pass on the gray and make sure all the materials are what I want. (The VTArmy site looks like it only carries white and gray, unless I'm mistaken) Thanks for the tips!

PapaSmurf, response sent! =P

Hammock
    El cheapo from Bass Pro
    Tarp
    Kelty Noahs
    Suspension
    DIY Straps & sling
    I bought mine from Quest. The price was good and the shipping was fast. Later when I had questions on sewing the stuff they were great.

http://www.questoutfitters.com/
    Shoreborn

Hammock
    GT UL Mod
    Tarp
    ZPacks and WB Edge
    Insulation
    Leighlo
    Suspension
    webbing, triglide
    Images
    zpacks has a lighter weight version, not listed as nano-seeum but not sure exactly what it is. http://zpacks.com/materials.shtml it's $8 a yard and joe flat ships at $3.95.
    What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step. - C.S. Lewis

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I am also waiting for DIYgearSupply to restock netting before I place another truck load order I've used Scott's netting in several projects and I like it.

I have never used the netting the Joe has at Zpacks but, the description and weight are identical to thru-hiker's netting which I have used. Thru-hiker's is grey but there is another difference. While thru-hiker's is about .3 oz per SY lighter, it is also more challenging to work with because it is extremely stretchy and distorts easily in any direction. Perhaps one more talented than I at the thread injector can handle it, but I have decided, for my projects, I'm better off with the more well behaved netting from Scott.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by thejennabird View Post
    Alas, alack, DIYGearSupply is out of No-See-Um. Otherwise my massive DIY order would be complete! 4yds short of a dream...
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    I am also waiting for DIYgearSupply to restock netting before I place another truck load order I've used Scott's netting in several projects and I like it.
    Back in stock now. I just switched back to an older supplier as, thanks to PapaSmurf, we found that the newer supplier's NoSeeUm was closer to 1.1oz/yd^2. My current stock is back to the 0.9oz/yd^2. Also, the 0.9oz style is just a bit more stiff than the 1.1oz style - making it even easier to work with. I don't care as much for the very stretchy, extreme drape style, as it's a real pain to sew with. Both weights that we've had here at DIY Gear Supply have been relatively stiff compared to some others I've tried working with.

I do plan to carry both varieties, and give a price drop for the 1.1oz style, for those who don't care about the small weight difference - but it's important to me that we carry the 0.9oz for the weight conscious.

Now, if only I could source the 0.7oz variety...
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Hammock
    DIY Hybrid "Switch-Bird"
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Evazote Pads
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sclittlefield View Post
    Back in stock now. I just switched back to an older supplier as, thanks to PapaSmurf, we found that the newer supplier's NoSeeUm was closer to 1.1oz/yd^2. My current stock is back to the 0.9oz/yd^2. Also, the 0.9oz style is just a bit more stiff than the 1.1oz style - making it even easier to work with.
    THREE CHEERS FOR SCOTT! Order to be placed when I get home from work. *glee*

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast