Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by questtrek View Post
    Hey Shug,
    Could ya do a quick video of that ? ..... Of why and where you added your ring.
    The ring is just right off of the line that hooks to my hammock end ..... the ring sits under the tarp to re-route rain water. I had it come down my line a couple of times and get into my weathershield. Me no like that.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season tq+uq
    Suspension
    webbing, again
    Images

These things again - loop connectors

Just a reminder about these loop connector things again. There are some brief instructions for making basic ones in my gallery. Noting to making them if you are comfortable making whoopie slings. When tension is applied, the loop closes, trapping the knot, and forming a loop/ring.

Possibly a alternative solution to several problems with the whoopie slings like the whoopies jumping off marlin spike hitch.
    -Loop these the opposite direction arouond the toggle. If your WS hangs on the knot with the toggle above the WS, hook these around the bottom of the WS, the above the toggle, then below the knot.
    -Use these instead of nylon eyes, sewn in descending rings and other methods of preventing chafe in a strap when you don't like the toggle method.
    -Also if your worried about chafing the straps, Spectra won't chafe itself nearly as bad as it will chafe a strap.

-use instead of cheap biners when you need a little strength.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nacra533 View Post
    Just a reminder about these loop connector things again. There are some brief instructions for making basic ones in my gallery. Noting to making them if you are comfortable making whoopie slings. When tension is applied, the loop closes, trapping the knot, and forming a loop/ring.

Possibly a alternative solution to several problems with the whoopie slings like the whoopies jumping off marlin spike hitch.
    -Loop these the opposite direction arouond the toggle. If your WS hangs on the knot with the toggle above the WS, hook these around the bottom of the WS, the above the toggle, then below the knot.
    -Use these instead of nylon eyes, sewn in descending rings and other methods of preventing chafe in a strap when you don't like the toggle method.
    -Also if your worried about chafing the straps, Spectra won't chafe itself nearly as bad as it will chafe a strap.

I had seen that picture on the homepage one time and clicked on it, but could not really figure out what those things were for. Now it all makes sense. Very nice, have to try them some day.

Hammock
    DIY Camo Cocoon
    Tarp
    Tricked out SWT
    Insulation
    DIY 4 layer IX
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    Results are in!

I have taken my new whoopie slings (7' max length per side) and 5' straps w/ alum. crossbow shaft toggle and weighed them as compared to my previous suspension (WBBB straps, tri rings, carabiner). My new whoopie sling suspension weighs 4.4 OZ for both sides whereas my old suspension weighed in at 11.0 OZ on the same scale.

That is a savings of 6.6 OZ!

Now to see if they function in the field as well for me as I hope...

Hammock
    DIY-Darian UL-like
    Tarp
    z-Packs cuben
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nacra533 View Post

So , do I have this right? You could use this Loop Connector in WLMIller54's setup above in place of the descending ring and just figure on replacing it every so often?
    -SlowBro
    "Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."-Theodore Roosevelt

Images
    So...has anyone used these loop connectors in the actual hammock suspension? In 7/64 amsteel? Would the stopper knot be a weak point? I really like the idea.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JDShearer View Post
    So...has anyone used these loop connectors in the actual hammock suspension? In 7/64 amsteel? Would the stopper knot be a weak point? I really like the idea.
    I just made one out of 7/64 Amsteel, the thing weighs 2.9g. I will try it out in the hammock suspension soon, but I have to make a tree strap with two loops in it first.

Images
    I actually just made two of them as well. I haven't used them yet. I'm just curious as to how strong they'll be. I'm sure they'll hold me up, but I wonder how much this configuration derates the amsteel.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JDShearer View Post
    I actually just made two of them as well. I haven't used them yet. I'm just curious as to how strong they'll be. I'm sure they'll hold me up, but I wonder how much this configuration derates the amsteel.
    I just posted in the thread where nacra533 introduced the loop shackles. He mentioned that he was going to get some strength testing done and might be able to answer your question.

Just curios has anybody whoopie sling with the original cord that comes with the hennessy
    Explorer deluxe

• + New Posts
  • Page 54 of 106 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664104 ... LastLast