Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Suspension
    Tree straps & CRL
    I'm planning on taking chemical hand warmers with me on the Texas Hang-in a cupla weekends from now. @DivaB: I plan on putting a few in my UQ to see how it works. Should be close to what you suggested. Since I'm taking a pickup and won't need room for firewood (burn ban is on) I figure I'll have plenty of room for them. They will have less impact on my gas mileage than the firewood, so I should be ahead on the environmental issues. No cracks about gas mileage in a pickup. My main transportation is a hybrid!! I slept COLD at last year's hang-in. I don't plan on a repeat this year, with or without a camp fire.

Quote Originally Posted by redhawktx View Post
    I'm planning on taking chemical hand warmers with me on the Texas Hang-in a cupla weekends from now. @DivaB: I plan on putting a few in my UQ to see how it works. Should be close to what you suggested. Since I'm taking a pickup and won't need room for firewood (burn ban is on) I figure I'll have plenty of room for them. They will have less impact on my gas mileage than the firewood, so I should be ahead on the environmental issues. No cracks about gas mileage in a pickup. My main transportation is a hybrid!! I slept COLD at last year's hang-in. I don't plan on a repeat this year, with or without a camp fire.
    I'm a big fan of chem warmers. Be sure and buy the mondo sized ones,they last forever.
    I always put them in a sock and just throw them in the sleeping bag. One is usually enough if you buy the mondo sized one. And on the plus side you can move it where you need it most.

Quote Originally Posted by G.L.P. View Post
    hot packs are not a good long term answer for camping with a Hammock ...
    yes they are cheap but add up the cost over a long period of time and you have a UQ (Underquilt) have you tried your Infl. pad in the hammock just inflate it part way it will work just fine
    the 2 best ways to stay warm is a Underquilt or a pad ....
    if your a DIY guy you can make a IX UQ for around $50 ... and should be good down to 30F for most users ....
    Here in Texas they are a very economical way to stay warm.On top of that you can stick them in your pocket in the morning. And they take up way less room and weigh less then an UQ.The biggest problem we have is staying cool. Thats why I'm switching to a hammock. I know a cot helps keep you cool,but who wants to haul around a cot?
    It's all about air flow...

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123