Ox gear
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB & Ox Gear
    Suspension
    Webbing & Whoopies

Help with an under quilt.

As I have stated I'm new to this hammock thing and am reading on this forum and testing with what I have which is pads. I have tried all my pads and could get by with them but I don't think I would be as comfortable as I would like to be. I would consider an under quilt for better comfort. I had rather find a used quilt for sale that way I don't have so much $ invested in something I've never used. With that being said most all my camping Is backpacking the A.T. so my question is should I get a 3/4 length quilt or a full length. I know the 3/4 would save a little weight and I could carry a short ccf pad in case I slept in a shelter. For you that have tried both size quilts in backpacking what's your opinion on this.

Hammock
    DIY Pertex
    Tarp
    DIY with doors on
    Insulation
    Down and synthetic
    Suspension
    Whoopies & hooks
    I much prefer my full length underquilts to my shorter ones but for backpacking, the shorter lighter quilt gets packed.

It's still very comfy, more comfortable than CCF and packs down far smaller.

I use the foam from my backpack to do the foot and calf insulation like many on here. A down gilet/jacket done up around the foot end of my hammock keeps my feet warm if it's sub zero.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    20 And below I'm full length Incubator. 20-40 Temp range I use the Phoenix anything above fifty I use a custom Phoenix that is shorter then the standard but same width. So as you see as the weather warms my UQ gets shorter. Ive used partial quilts in winter and its just not for me the extra ounces is worth the warmth to me. On the flip side plenty of people use partials in winter and full lengths in summer.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    This may give you some insight.
    I prefer a partial length backpacking as it takes up less space in the pack.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DH NightHawk and Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex
    Insulation
    UGQ 20 UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie and Python
    Imo its 2 factors: If you are short on space in your pack then go smaller. If you are the type that gets cold feet, IE cold blooded like i do no matter how many pairs or type of socks i seem to put on then go full length UQ. I have the Full Length and make it work even though it takes up 1/4 of my pack space so that I can be toasty warm in my setup.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lazy river road View Post
    20 And below I'm full length Incubator
    That's how I roll, and I use a 20* Phoenix for everything else. You won't catch me hanging in nighttime temps above maybe 75, and I just vent the Phoenix if I get too hot. I must admit I've never vented - I'll just toss my TQ aside if I get too hot.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    HG: CF 4S
    Insulation
    HG: TQ. UQ
    Suspension
    WS and Dutch Hooks
    If you will be out backpacking in 20+F and want to keep the weight down go for the 3/4 or 2/3 (depending on how tall you are) if you also carry a sit pad. It took me a while to get the hang (no pun intended) of the 3/4 with a pad thing, but once I got it figured out I bought another one. If weight and packed size are an issue, then the shorter quilts are the way to go. Of course you could do what I do and DWSD (do what Shug does). Whatever you do, get out and enjoy the hang!
    "When you see something wobble, push it."
    - Unknown

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    Full length, 20* UQ with protector year round. Probably wouldn't work for you there, but it gets cold in the mountains at night. 30's in July/August is not uncommon. Wind is another issue.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Hammock
    Ox gear
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB & Ox Gear
    Suspension
    Webbing & Whoopies
    I'm going to try to string a down sleeping bag as an under quilt while I have the hammock in my porch. I will try to string it as a full quilt and check it out then I will try it as a 3/4 and use my Gossamer Gear 1/8" pad doubled at my feet. I guess trying different things are the best. Good gear is expensive and me like a lot of others have spent a lot of $ on things that didn't work or just upgraded in a short period of time so I'm just trying not to make another purchase that I'm not happy with. Oh I'm 6' if that helps.

• + New Posts