Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Selecting a Pad

Selecting a Pad

First off...I was pointed in this forums direction by Perkolady and I would like to thank her for that...onward

I'm planning a LT end to end in May and I'm looking for a pad to go w/ my HH while I realize I might be able to get by w/out the extra insulation I figure is is still going to be rather cool at night in May and also my pack (GG virga) needs some sort of support which would come in the form of my pad. I'm trying to decide among the many choices which would be best. I would like to keep it as light as possible while addressing my main issues: pack support, isulation, and comfort in the hammock.

I was looking @ a TR prolite 3/4 but I'm not sold because i don't know any help is appreciated.
    Slainte,
    Tim
    Last edited by TimBarry; 02-02-2007 at 21:19. Reason: forgot my name

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Welcome to the site.
    Might check these out:
    http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/...ing/index.html
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

If you go with the therma rest, seems the best way to use em is barely inflated, in the hammock that is <g>. This was the route I was going to go but a $6 wally world pad hit the right price point. If you go the CCF route you may want a wider pad for the hammock (24" or so) not sure if this will fit in your pack as a support.

--cargo

--cargo

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TimBarry View Post
    First off...I was pointed in this forums direction by Perkolady and I would like to thank her for that...onward

I'm planning a LT end to end in May and I'm looking for a pad to go w/ my HH while I realize I might be able to get by w/out the extra insulation I figure is is still going to be rather cool at night in May and also my pack (GG virga) needs some sort of support which would come in the form of my pad. I'm trying to decide among the many choices which would be best. I would like to keep it as light as possible while addressing my main issues: pack support, isulation, and comfort in the hammock.

I was looking @ a TR prolite 3/4 but I'm not sold because i don't know any help is appreciated.
    Slainte,
    Tim
    I've heard some cautions against using the Prolite in a hammock. It seems it might not insulate too well, for the same reason a Z-rest might not - the large air pockets both pads create insulate well on the ground because the air in them can't move. In a hammock, the air in the large pockets can move pretty freely. I don't own a Prolite, but I can vouch for this being an issue with the Z-rest and I think the same principles should apply.

On the other hand, my 3/4 length 1" 'normal' TR works great in my hammock. Very warm. I just don't like the weight.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Images
    Welcome to this site.

I just to use a HH with just a cheap ccp from walmart. I rounded the corners to make it a little easier to put in and take out.

Somewhere around 60 or 70 I needed something underneath me.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy 9x11
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveller
    Suspension
    CBs + DCs
    Images
    Hi Tim,

Glad you made it!

These are some testing maniacs here, as I'm sure you'll see when you go thru posts.

These guys should be able to give you some great info...

Welcome to Hammock Forums!

Perkolady

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    i use this pad,a military closed cell pad trimmed down 60 in long and on the corners,i have used it down to the single digits with my tom claytor double bottom jungle hammock neo

http://www.rddusa.com/product_info.p...roducts_id=447

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TimBarry View Post

Slainte,
    Tim
    I forgot to add, I did the northern 80 miles of the LT SOBO last October. It was coldish and there really wasn't that many people around. A great hike. Let me now if you have any questions.

A couple things.

You can stay in the ski resort warming huts if you want.

I can't remember the name, but the northern one will let thru-hikers with the cable car down to the bottom for free. There is also a place you can stay at the top in the building where the sky car comes up to. Someone on WB told me about this and the weird way you can get in. I did not stay there though. Let me know if you are interested. They only run the ski car on weekends in the off season but they can take mail drops . You have to walk down if they are not running. I'll post the name later.

One of the cartakers let me hang inside of the Lodge for the night. If they are not full, they will let you. You can stealth camp. I just wanted someone to talk to after 3 days alone.

If the mountain is not a tourist area, there will be about 8 blazes total for the way up, over, and down the mountain. And the trail will resemble a stream bed. This was fun with snow on the ground.

Have fun on your trip.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Whatever pad you choose, be sure to test it first to make sure it's wide enough. Check out the Speer SPE to fix the shoulder/hip wrap issue.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

In regards to the GG thin light...do they come in wide...because what I'm hearing is that the 19.5" probably won't be wide enough for me...thank you for all the input
    Last edited by TimBarry; 02-03-2007 at 11:29.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast