Hammock
    UKHammocks - Woodsman X (Double)
    Tarp
    WB Big Mambajamba
    Insulation
    3/4 quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    The new Pencott patterns by Hyde deffinition are really nice, looking forward to someone making tarps out of them. Other than that the new German Arid flecktarn works well or just plain light olive green. But as others have said distance is the best form of camouflage or failing that break up the outlines with natural material. Just my 'two peneth' worth.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird 1.7 Double
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Zeppelin
    Suspension
    StrapsBeetleBuckle
    Are you talking about the camo from HG that we discussed in the separate thread? I was interested in the winter pallace in the camo but I have not seen any posts or announcements on ordering.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogbone View Post
    I will have my camo Cuban from HG shortly hopefully the material manufacturer can get the color close to what Adam and I are hoping for, will post pics when it arrives.
    Swinging in the air with a flair.

Hammock
    DIY dbl layer Gathered end
    Tarp
    The Cheap Kind
    Insulation
    WM CCF, reflectex
    Suspension
    Straps & RB
    I'm planning on starting on a camo tarp myself over Christmas break. I've decided on the camo pattern but I just haven't settled on the dimensions of the tarp yet. I like the type with the bird beaks on either end but I've still got to work out the details.
    I guess my biggest concern is loosing it in the woods! ;-)
    lost
    "The question that oft' makes me hazy... am I or the others crazy?" Albert Einstein

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    I've taken a shine to Multicam. Around here you need a pattern that works in summer (think jungle) and winter (think white) and Multicam does that. One thing that I need to see is a Multicam tarp strung up though because if the repeat is too small you start to get patterns that will draw the eye and that defeats the purpose of camo in the first place. Digital ACU works well in a snowy pine forest but other than that it sticks out like a soar thumb. I've thought a woodland camo/white reversible migt make sense if it didn't add too much weight to the tarp. The grey green of my Superfly blends in better in a wider range of conditions, than the busy camo of the Claytor Diamond Fly, of course in summer woodlands the Claytor blends better.
    "In your face space coyote"-HJS

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Beast 71 View Post
    I've taken a shine to Multicam. Around here you need a pattern that works in summer (think jungle) and winter (think white) and Multicam does that. One thing that I need to see is a Multicam tarp strung up though because if the repeat is too small you start to get patterns that will draw the eye and that defeats the purpose of camo in the first place. Digital ACU works well in a snowy pine forest but other than that it sticks out like a soar thumb. I've thought a woodland camo/white reversible migt make sense if it didn't add too much weight to the tarp. The grey green of my Superfly blends in better in a wider range of conditions, than the busy camo of the Claytor Diamond Fly, of course in summer woodlands the Claytor blends better.
    I like multi-cam also, but in large pieces the repetition of the pattern is very obvious, to me. It seems like the pattern is printed to run the opposite way, so "to me" it looks like it is sideways on a tarp. The only way to align the pattern correctly would result in a seam down the center of each panel instead of the ridge, which is just odd and would probably result in stretching of the seam.

I also agree with the earlier poster about the straight lines. A jagged edge or perhaps use of the "ghillie" type leaves around the edge might soften that some. Now you are adding weight...

I have never seen the popular hunting camo's in large patterns, but they may be the best ones for the woods. Mossy Oak and RealTree.

I am really interested to see what the guys at HG come produce with the camo cuben.

Tent manufacturers seem to go the complete opposite way with bright oranges and yellows...go figure.

swank

Hammock
    JRB BMB
    Tarp
    JRB 11'x10'
    Insulation
    JRB TQ / UQ set
    Suspension
    JRB tri-glide
    Love my JRB BMB

Hammock
    Wbbb 1.1dbl.- Traveler multicam 1.9
    Tarp
    H.G. Cuben camo
    Insulation
    Phinc-burrow- H.R.
    Black works well for me... Any time of the year... Placement is everything....
    We would be one step closer to world peace, if everyone slept in a hammock..

Images
    Those nets are super cool, but what do they weigh? Some sort of compromise with a thinner construction hung over a dark tarp would be pretty darn stealthy.

swank

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by swankfly View Post
    I like multi-cam also, but in large pieces the repetition of the pattern is very obvious, to me. It seems like the pattern is printed to run the opposite way, so "to me" it looks like it is sideways on a tarp. The only way to align the pattern correctly would result in a seam down the center of each panel instead of the ridge, which is just odd and would probably result in stretching of the seam.
    This is the main problem with most (I'd say "all", but I can't say that for certain: I've not seen all of them) camo patterns. They're great for a human body-sized object wearing separate garments: the repetition isn't obvious at any angle you're likely to see the object. However, with a tarp that's ten or twelve feet long, well...

Actually, the Speer tarps are made with horizontal seams. They seem to work well, from all accounts (never owned one myself, so I can't speak from personal experience).

I also agree with the earlier poster about the straight lines. A jagged edge or perhaps use of the "ghillie" type leaves around the edge might soften that some. Now you are adding weight...
    A piece of spare line can be hung along those edges, and forest duff added via knots or other methods. I carry a bit (~20 to 30 ft.) of mason's line around as a general-purpose thing anyway, so it's not an added burden--except for time. And, as Napoleon said, "...Ask me for anything but time." When I'm stealthing, it's usually due to a very long day and an unwillingness to try and make it to the nearest designated camp spot.

I have never seen the popular hunting camo's in large patterns, but they may be the best ones for the woods. Mossy Oak and RealTree.
    To be honest, I'm not as big of a fan of those for wide use. If you're hunting, you can pick your hide to match your camo, which makes those specific patterns very useful. However, hanging your tarp means covering a fairly wide open area with it, where generic color patterns may be better than specific reproductions of foliage. Especially if you hang in a wide variety of environments. Besides, by the time someone gets close enough to notice the details of both of those patterns, (s)he's going to notice something suspended in the air that's as large as a tarp, camo or no camo, as long as it's along his or her sight line.

I am really interested to see what the guys at HG come produce with the camo cuben.
    Me, too. But cuben has a relatively high albedo, even in the solid colors that some folks produce tarps in. The plastic film is "shiny", regardless of the underlying pattern or color, from what I've seen. Still, it'll be interesting to see...

Tent manufacturers seem to go the complete opposite way with bright oranges and yellows...go figure.

swank
    Not all of 'em; I've got an old-school US woodland pattern pup tent sitting somewhere in the shed from my ground-dwelling days. Still and all, I generally agree; most consumers seem to want to be seen out in the woods rather than blend in. Meh. Personal taste, I guess.

Either way, I prefer solid colors for my tarp--both due to weight (I'm not aware of any 30d sil that comes in a camo pattern, though I'd be delighted to find one) and concealment. Solid colors tend to blend better than a repeating pattern; see above about the length of a tarp. Now, if I could find a pattern that wouldn't repeat with a strip 12' long and weighed the same or less than 30d sil...well, I'd certainly be tempted...

For now, I'll stick with the camo hammock (where the folds in it prevent obvious repetition of the pattern) and simple subdued colors for everything else. The weight penalty is a bit much otherwise; and simple distance, site selection (don't let yourself be backlit by the sky), and late-to-bed-early-to-rise should get me through those times that I have to stealth. As long as nothing shines, well, it's hard to see more than fifty or an hundred feet through decently thick woods at night...heck, I'm more worried about someone smelling my wood stove...
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Images
    Just ran across this, looking at camo netting. They listed tarps, a camo 10x10 with a weight of 1lb. I emailed for more info, like material and actual weight. Will advise...

http://www.camonettingstore.com/wate...p-10ft-x-10ft/

If the 1lb weight is accurate, might have a winner here.

swank

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast