WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    Greylock 3 Hudson
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Cub Scout Hammocking?

I am planning on going to my 8 year old Cub Scout family camping trip and I was thinking of using hammocks for the both of us. I have given up on tent camping for good (I hope) and plan to use my WBBB and have my son use my HH.

My question is what issue should I prepare for when my son is in his own hammock alone vs with me in a tent? Should I hang both as close as possible to make it seem like I am close? Backyard tryout is not an option so I am looking for someone that has done family hammocking with younger kids.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    My 8-year-old scout and I often hang together when we backpack. I often hang side-by-side or bunk style with him in a hammock above me. It works great. He likes being close, but I like having him in his own hammock.

I've hung as many as three hammocks in close proximity together (side-by-side/bunk style) with my kids and we have a ball.

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    BMJ
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I hung ours very close and he was fine with it. Give him one of those chemlights as a nightlight and ley him know that you are right next to him and talk to him while he's laying there and he should be good.
    If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird, WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Jarbidge and Down
    Suspension
    Straps and Buckles
    I take my 8 year old son whenever I can.

I try to hang us as close to each other as is (1) possible and (2) comfortable. We've done the "2 hammocks, 3 trees" thing most of the time. It helps to have a BIG tarp for these situations. We use a Kelty Noah's 12. It's heavy, but it's really great for this situation.

Next summer we're going to try separating a bit if he's ready. I don't want to coddle him, but I want to go at his pace to a large degree. Forcing the issue isn't going to make it any more fun for him, and that's the whole point of our trips. I always have fun out there, so I'm not worried about me.
    If your lucky enough to be outdoors, your lucky enough!

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I'd hang as close as possible to give the security of a tent feel. You can do a search on two hammock hangs and look for some options.

Hammock
    1.9 SL DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    GuideGear12x12
    Insulation
    DIY Kmart UQ 550FP
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    My 9 year old and I hung on a Webelos trip last year. We hung two hammocks from the same two trees and shared a tarp.

Instead of hanging your suspension from the middle of a tree, have his suspension come off the left side of the tree and yours off the right of the same tree. Also hang his hammock 6 - 12 inches higher or lower than yours. This will help keep hips from bumping each other.

We shared one large tarp. I have a Chinook 9.5 x 12 and a Guide Gear 12 x 12. There was plenty of room. I could even seal the doors shut in winter mode. This time of year, either of these tarps would give you tons of room since you will not need winter mode.

Enjoy your trip.

Hammock
    HH Ultralite Backpacker Zip
    Tarp
    stock hennessy
    Insulation
    HH super shelter
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    +1 on the double decker style. I have a four year old that loves sleeping in the HH right above me. I guess since your son is eight he may not like having to be picked up and put in the hammock every time he wants to get in and out. You'll have fun either way.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JrB TQ/UQ,Crownest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Since you don't have a backyard to test-hang try a local park. You don't need to spend the night, just 10-20 minutes so he has the concept. Something that would work good is to bring a book that he likes and have him read while talk to him.
    I ride a recumbent.
    I like to HAM it up on the CW.
    I use Linux.
    I play go.
    Of course I sleep in a hammock!

Rug.

Hang On!

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End 1.9
    Tarp
    STS 10x10 Escapist
    Insulation
    DIY Full Length UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Straps
    I agree with what Rug said, give it a try in your backyard or a local park first just to get a feel for it.

Also, see if you can also bring a small tent for him just in case he decides hammocks is not for him - just pitch the tent next to your rig.

I'm planning on taking my 5 yr old daughter camping with me in two weeks and she wants to try sleeping in a hammock next to me but I will be bringing a small tent for her just in case as well.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    Greylock 3 Hudson
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    wow - thanks for the quick responses. This will be at a group camping site and will be basically car camping so I'll bring a big blue wally world tarp that should fit the two of us or we'll bunk style an use my edge tarp. Either way I'll have the tent as a backup and the truck to sleep in also so we have lots of options. He is a little scared to sleep in the basement in the hammock but thinks it will be less scary outside . Something tells me we should keep the ghost stories to a minimum.

I have a feeling the other scouts will be super interested and we'll see if any new hammocks show up at the next camp out.

BTW - anything extra you would bring if you could? Car camping makes it a whole different ballgame to what to bring - blanket, pads. ladder etc

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast