Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Images

Big Permetrin find!

Knotty's thread here: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ght=Permethrin finally got me motivated to find some 40% concentrate and give it a try. I used up my leftover Sawyers a few weeks back, and had not even sprayed my packs. First I drop into ****'s Sporting Goods for a starting comparison. Where I bought my last Sawyer's Permethrin pump bottle, which I think goes for about $15-20 for 24 oz of .5%. They no longer had it, but had a different brand spray can that I think was about $8. I think it said it was for 2 sets of clothing.

So I head off down to Tractor Supply full of hope and enthusiasm and just strike out! All I can find is max 2.5 % concentration in one of the spray bottles for hooking to a hose, like I have used to spray my backyard before. And most of those I have used left a pretty good petroleum type smell for a few days after I spray. So I buy nothing.

Then I remembered Scruggs Farm,Lawn and garden. I don't know how wide spread these stores are outside MS. Any way, I go there and BINGO! WINNING! They have Permethrin up the wazoo, many different brands and concentrations. I even find some 38% (close enough to Knotty's 40%) this stuff here:
    http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/hi...ol-p-1530.html

So I payed ~$12 for an 8 oz bottle of this stuff ( I wanted to get the smallest bottles for experimenting, they have larger). I also paid $5.99 for an 8 oz bottle of this 10% stuff:
    http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/hi...de-p-1551.html
    Why? Because it said "indoor/outdoor". It has directions for using in your house, so I was hoping it might be on the low end of the smelly scale, though it might well be identical to the 38% as far as other ingredients, who knows? Both say "contains petroleum products".

I can not find any of this stuff online at Scruggs, but they sure have this and several other brands at their store! It was like Permethrin heaven! The Scruggs in store price seems cheaper than at the links above.

So I started with the 10%. I figure if later the 38% turns out to be smellier ( it is advertized for outdoor foundation termite treatment etc but not "indoors, though it all might just be a matter of dilution)) even after dilution to .5%, I can just use it outdoors. So I dilute the 10% down to ~ .5% by adding 35-36 ml (~ 1.2 oz ) to ~ 22.8 oz H2O, mixing it in my original Sawyers container, which said 24 oz net contents. ( hope my math was ~ right! )

I went out and sprayed my packs, 2 hiking shirts, my favorite cargo hiking pants, 2 pairs of socks, 2 hats and some tree huggers. For once I had no concern about running out, and soaked 'em pretty good. I still have some left in the Sawyers container, but who cares? I have ~ 5 oz of 10% left and 8 oz of 38%!

Now here is the exciting news, assuming this works as good as other Sawyers on the bugs: the smell test was passed with ease. On a scale of 10, with 10 being bad smelly and 0 being no smell, both wet and dry after several hours, I put this at zero on the smelly scale! Now, it is probably smellier than that, but I could smell NOTHING. I actually think I smelled a little more after spraying with Sawyers, at least for the 1st few hours(but still even that was not much).

One caveat: I did see a few tiny spots on some Silnylon that looked like a greasy spot. Actually, looked like a few wet drops, but was not wet. I guess that was the "petro products".

So, if this works as well as other Permethrin, this is going to be dirt cheap. It may be awhile before I test the 38%. So there 'ya go, party down! Make good use of the 3rd arm you will grow!

Images
    Mods, please correct my title typo mis-spell, I did it again! 9 out of 10 times I leave the "h" out of Permethrin, as well as mis-spelling titles!

Senior Member AppalachianHammock's Avatar
    I read the same thread, and today I was working with a friend who raises dogs, and he had a couple bottles of the 40 percent stuff, Said he got it from tractor supply, so Ill have to pick a bottle up.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nc527 View Post
    I read the same thread, and today I was working with a friend who raises dogs, and he had a couple bottles of the 40 percent stuff, Said he got it from tractor supply, so Ill have to pick a bottle up.
    I don't know what the problem is with our local Tractor Supply ( TSI ). They had nothing over 2.5%. But that 38% from Scruggs will do fine, plus that 10% should work great and I know that the smell is NOT a problem, not even immediately after treatment, or even during treatment. So that will work!

As for those spots on the sil-nylon stuff sack, I have not noticed anything like that on the other stuff I treated. And I imagine if there was, it would come out in the first washing.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 05-22-2011 at 12:49.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    I have found that most employees don't know what is in their products regardless of what store you go to. I have found that the higher concentrations of permethrin are usually found in products used for horses. Seems permethrin works well on biting flies. So ask for horse dip and then you will have to read the ingredients. Some have more active ingredients than just permethrin and some don't have permethrin at all. YMMV.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Just back in from treating my hammock. I also use it one my Labs

I have been using the Swayers but I have been checking the local country hardware type stores for a bottle of permethrin that I can dilute. The one old timey hardware store here that use to carry a large selection of horse stuff is not carrying anythng now.

I know I can order on line but I was hoping to find local.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Senior Member AppalachianHammock's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Theo View Post
    I have found that most employees don't know what is in their products regardless of what store you go to. I have found that the higher concentrations of permethrin are usually found in products used for horses. Seems permethrin works well on biting flies. So ask for horse dip and then you will have to read the ingredients. Some have more active ingredients than just permethrin and some don't have permethrin at all. YMMV.
    I think my friend said it was used for horses, so that might be it.

Hammock
    ENO - DN
    Tarp
    DIY Spinn/ Tadpole
    Insulation
    Orca IX/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thanks for sharing - and thanks to Knotty for the original thread. Great stuff. I still have several bottles of Sawyer's, but next season I'm going this route.
    Last edited by lizzie; 05-22-2011 at 17:57.

Hammock
    DIY Camo Cocoon
    Tarp
    Tricked out SWT
    Insulation
    DIY 4 layer IX
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    I wonder if adding a small amount of Dawn dish soap would help pull out some of the petrol / oil from the mix? When dropped in dirty / oily dishwater it always seems to lift the greasy film to the suds at the top...

Thanks for sharing - I am out of my Sawyers that was $16 for the 24 oz spray so I will have to find some of the concetrate to use.

Images
    OK, today came a test. I load up a GrizzBridge and Claytor No Net and hike out deep into the MS woods, around lakes and swamps. I had Picaridin with me, but did not put it on at 1st. I could hear the circadias singing loud as I started my hike, with a Permethrin( Hi Yield 10% diluted down to .5%) treated hat with neck sun blocker thingie, shirt, pants, boots and socks. Pack also treated, but not hammocks. I did not bother tucking my pants into my socks as I often do to avoid ticks entering at ankle, as has happened to me more than once. I also started with my hat off to see if they would buzz in my ears(as gnats or mossies oft do). I hiked down into a deep bottom with shallow water in some spots, lots of damp soil every where. I stopped to set a compass course, and one mossy lit on my forearm. He looked like he was planning a meal so I dispatched him with violence. I decided to put some of the 20% Picaridin on my arms and neck/face/ears. I saw or heard no more bugs near me the rest of the day.

When I set my hammocks up, I hung my pack as usual from a tree. It didn't take long before I saw a big ugly mean looking ant crawling all over my pack, about 1 foot from my face. He seemed to be enjoying a vigorous exercise session, and I was thinking" OK, this stuff must not work with ants". But the ant suddenly had some sort of "attack" and just fell off of my pack to the ground. So, I suppose he did not like the Perm and maybe even died. I don't know, I didn't see any more ants on my pack, though they were on the tree and ground. While in my hammock, with my hat on the ground, I did see a few ants crawl onto my hat, but they did not stay long. I saw no ticks or ants on my boots.

Even though I was very hot and sweaty after the hike in and back out, I never had any more bugs on me. ( doesn't it seem like hot and sweaty makes bug attacks worse, or is that just me?) Laying in my hammock and reading for an hour or two was a totally bug free experience.

So, first impression is Hi Yield 10% Indoor/Outdoor Perm works very well, and does not have a noticeable odor. And as usual, the 20% Picaridin also works very well and has no odor worth mentioning. It can also be sprayed on clothing if needed. I figure MS swamps are a fairly good testing ground.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast