Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: claustrophobia

Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    I think that if I did something like that, I'd just get one of the ENO bugnets and cut off the attached stuffsack to reduce the weight. Then, you'd have a zipping closure for the netting. JMO
    What is this ENO bug net of which you speak? I'm pretty sure that if could maintain the bugproofing, I"d cut mine off in a heartbeat. I'm just starting to learn the ins and outs,
    thx

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by frog View Post
    What is this ENO bug net of which you speak?
    It is simply a one-piece commercial bugnet from Eagles Nest Outfitters. It has drawstrings on each end so that it will slip over your existing hammock suspension. With the HH having a built-in ridgeline, you wouldn't even need a separate one for the net.

They are fairly heavy, at 16oz, but most of that is the thick stuffsack that is attached. It could be removed quite easily.

You could always make a DIY one, though.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    in this picture, the guy in front is laying in a hh that i cut the net off of.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...5/P9020027.JPG
    the loose material on the out side is a super shelter.

i think it does change the dynamics of the hh some what (removing the net), but it still lays great.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

I am moderately claustrophobic, but the HH is quite good in this respects. There is plenty of room to move about. If anything, I get a feeling of agrophobia in it.

Quote Originally Posted by ZDP-189 View Post
    I am moderately claustrophobic, but the HH is quite good in this respects. There is plenty of room to move about. If anything, I get a feeling of agrophobia in it.
    I never had any problems with my HH until I put the SuperShelter on it. That really changed the dynamics of the assymetrical cut. The undercover keeps me from getting a good 'diagonal' lay in the hammock and the pad isn't quite wide enough to keep coverage on (in my case) the left shoulder. I still had a good-enough night's sleep but the lay was more centered with the sides riding up, closing me in. If I had thought about it, it may have bothered me some.

As for the wind, I was on Mt Sterling (#38) and the wind was really howling. I enjoy the side-to-side sway of a hammock but the wind would cause the trees to 'shudder' giving me a ripple effect down the length of the hammock. That takes some getting used to. I also had fog set in, getting everything damp, especially the underpad. I'm going to look for a way to close off the ends of my Cat-cut tarp to help keep my a bit drier in those situations.

TWS

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Dubs View Post
    I never had any problems with my HH until I put the SuperShelter on it. That really changed the dynamics of the assymetrical cut. The undercover keeps me from getting a good 'diagonal' lay in the hammock and the pad isn't quite wide enough to keep coverage on (in my case) the left shoulder. I still had a good-enough night's sleep but the lay was more centered with the sides riding up, closing me in. If I had thought about it, it may have bothered me some.

As for the wind, I was on Mt Sterling (#38) and the wind was really howling. I enjoy the side-to-side sway of a hammock but the wind would cause the trees to 'shudder' giving me a ripple effect down the length of the hammock. That takes some getting used to. I also had fog set in, getting everything damp, especially the underpad. I'm going to look for a way to close off the ends of my Cat-cut tarp to help keep my a bit drier in those situations.

TWS
    Were you on the summit of Sterling, at the fire lookout? I've hiked up there twice before and tent camped up there once before, and what a brutal climb that was. From the 1800 ft base car camp to the 5800 ft summit. Were you there recently? What were the lows? What is " #38"?
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 10-22-2007 at 19:31.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Were you on the summit of Sterling, at the fire lookout? I've hiked up there twice before and tent camped up there once before, and what a brutal climb that was. Were you there recently? What were the lows? What is " #38"?
    I was up there this past week. I hung at the Big Creek CG, then hiked up to back country campsite #37 for a night. From there I climbed up Swallow Fork Trail to Mt. Sterling and spent the night at site #38. I was on a quick shake-down hike just to see how my hammock set-up worked. The lowest temp. I recorded was only to 51*. That was on Sterling and I didn't check after about 2:30 am. I think the climb up Baxter Creek would have been a tough one, as it was hard on me going down but the route I took wasn't so bad. I've been riding my bike all summer now about 20-25 miles per day at a pretty good clip (16+ mph) so my legs were in good shape for the trip. I've also lost a few pounds and that helped my climbing.

TWS

Images
    Oh yeah! Looks great! BTW, recently I placed a GripClip on my netting just above where the under cover pushes it in, and tensioned it on the tarp guy out. That seems to have solved several of the problems of how the "lay" is interfered with, more so than the normal HH elastic tie outs did. I will later try it attached to the UC and see if that works even better.
    Bill
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 10-22-2007 at 19:56.

Quote Originally Posted by T-Dubs View Post
    I was up there this past week. I hung at the Big Creek CG, then hiked up to back country campsite #37 for a night.
    I should have added:

The camp pic is on Sterling, down some off the summit.
    The water at Sterling is a trickle (.4 miles down).
    I used my DIY BlackCat tarp and it worked nicely.
    I used my DYI overquilts, one as a cover, the other in a stuff sack as a pillow.
    *I was expecting much cooler temperatures and a little disappointed I
    didn't get a real 'test' of how low I could go with my current set-up.
    **Thanks to everyone for answering my inane questions on sewing this past
    summer.
    The view is from the fire tower on Sterling.
    My camp should have been kept neater.
    A lesson--don't wash everything, leave hanging for the night and then have
    fog come in and soak all your clothes. Not a good way to start the
    morning hike.

TWS

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Oh yeah! Looks great! BTW, recently I placed a GripClip on my netting just above where the under cover pushes it in, and tensioned it on the tarp guy out. That seems to have solved several of the problems of how the "lay" is interfered with, more so than the normal HH elastic tie outs did. I will later try it attached to the UC and see if that works even better.
    Bill
    That sounds like a good idea. I'll have to try that as well. I was wondering if I could sew a pocket into the undercover, slide a CC pad in and then some how attach my HH underpad to that. Use the HH elastic on the pad to attach at more of an angle to get that 'lay' back in my hammock.

Any thoughts on how to get a decent angle on the underpad?

TWS

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast