Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator; Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Temperature estimation

In your opinion, at what temperature would you be comfortable down to with just a single layer hammock with a thermarest pad inside the hammock and a good 20* sleeping bag?

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Big Ol' Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, Mummy TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopish Things
    Is that a 20 degree bag that is marketed as a 20 degree bag, or is it a bag you've actually taken down to 20 degrees before?

Unless it's a higher end bag, I wouldn't trust that temperature rating one bit, and I really couldn't comment because most companies either use a proprietary rating system, or pull a number out of their...errr...nose.

If it's EN13537 Standard rated, then the 20 degree rating won't be too far off, and I'd say the setup would probably get down to 25 or 30F in a perfect world. You'd just have to do something to insulate your shoulders to prevent cold spots, most likely.

There are a bunch of different thermarest pads on the market, but I'd wager that most have enough insulation to get down into the 30s or a little lower without too much trouble.

If - if he stood! Enough of ifs!
    He knew a path that wanted walking
    He knew a spring that wanted drinking
    A thought that wanted further thinking.
    A love that wanted re-renewing

"A Lone Striker" Robert Frost

Hammock
    Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator; Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    To be more specific, I plan to use a HH Explorer Ultralite with a Thermarest Trail lite Sport, and a Kifaru 20* Slickbag.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    There are a dozen different kinds of Theremarests, each one a different type of material and thickness. Then there are dozens of knock-offs with the same variables. There are folks that have taken pads down well below freezing, but what each person can handle as far as cool weather depends on dozens of variables. From Metabolism to wind conditions to humidity level to just what "feels" cold to you. Best way to know what your pad can do for you in cold weather is to get out and test. String up your hammock and gear at home or close to and spend a few hours napping or reading a good book in the evening...it will you a lot better idea of what will work for you. Remember camping is fun so go have some fun trying out different set ups to find one you enjoy.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12'
    Insulation
    Snugpak
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    id be comfyat about25-30

Hammock
    Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator; Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks. I do realize that this question is subjective, but what temperature would you feel comfortable going out in with that setup or something similar?

(HH Explorer Ultralite with a Thermarest Trail lite Sport, and a Kifaru 20* Slickbag)

I slept with this system in the teens, except I was in a backpacking tent on the ground. Will being in a hammock be that much different? (I'm sure the wind plays a factor as well).

Hammock
    BIAS 11 ft; Grand Trunk Nano 7
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    Down bag/cc pad
    Suspension
    whoopies

20 degrees

Quote Originally Posted by CB4 View Post
    In your opinion, at what temperature would you be comfortable down to with just a single layer hammock with a thermarest pad inside the hammock and a good 20* sleeping bag?
    If the bag is truly good for 20, then for sure 20. But my experience is totally based on using a thin ccf pad -- the blue el cheapo variety. I have no thermarest experience.

Use hiking clothing inside the bag to extend the range. Don't forget to really wrap up your head.

I used a bag on a pad many a time before I bought a bag with a little footbox zipper so I can pull the bag around the hammock. I find sleeping on a pad in a hammock easy and comfortable. Most don't but I like it quite a bit.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12'
    Insulation
    Snugpak
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by motorapido View Post
    If the bag is truly good for 20, then for sure 20. But my experience is totally based on using a thin ccf pad -- the blue el cheapo variety. I have no thermarest experience.

Use hiking clothing inside the bag to extend the range. Don't forget to really wrap up your head.

I used a bag on a pad many a time before I bought a bag with a little footbox zipper so I can pull the bag around the hammock. I find sleeping on a pad in a hammock easy and comfortable. Most don't but I like it quite a bit.
    +1 on the head thing... i always wake up with a numb nose and irritated eyes...

Hammock
    BB 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    Quote Originally Posted by djminnesota View Post
    +1 on the head thing... i always wake up with a numb nose and irritated eyes...
    This ^^^^ I agree with the true rating of the bag. If it's good for 20 and you're not a cold sleeper you should be fine. 20 is a little cool for me

Quote Originally Posted by CB4 View Post
    Thanks. I do realize that this question is subjective, but what temperature would you feel comfortable going out in with that setup or something similar?

(HH Explorer Ultralite with a Thermarest Trail lite Sport, and a Kifaru 20* Slickbag)

I slept with this system in the teens, except I was in a backpacking tent on the ground. Will being in a hammock be that much different? (I'm sure the wind plays a factor as well).
    I think the biggest/steepest hammock learning curve is the issue of staying warm. For the most part, that's an issue of underinsulation. So, IMO, yes...being in a hammock is that much different.

Sleep systems are very individual...specific to the individual and to the conditions to be faced (more than just temperature). The original question is extremely difficult to answer and, again IMO, the best solution is to pre-test the sleep system...backyard experiments rule!

Somewhat contradicting the above ( ), maybe there is a way to judge. Maybe there's a difference factor...a set temperature difference between on the ground and in the hammock. Perhaps there is a ten or fifteen-degree difference between what is comfortable on the ground and what is comfortable in a hammock, the mythical "all other factors being the same."

FB

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast