ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    8X10 all purp tarp
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    12ft dble webbing

Questions on Double Ring

Hi, I have been thinking of using two rings and webbing to hang my hammock so i can adjust the length of the webbing easily with the rings. Then i saw it on Just Jeff's page and found out it was legit. http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGe...eSupports.html

the only question I have is, has any one used the double rings without using the cord that attaches from the hammock to the rings. I have a an ENO with caribiners on the end and it seems like i could put the rings directly onto the caribiners. The only reason I'm asking and not trying it is cause I won't be home for a nother week or two and I am curious if this would work. Seems like it would be a pretty easy suspension system.

Thanks
    God saw all that he had made, and it was very good.

Genesis 1:31

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by shanewalker10 View Post
    Hi, I have been thinking of using two rings and webbing to hang my hammock so i can adjust the length of the webbing easily with the rings. Then i saw it on Just Jeff's page and found out it was legit. http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGe...eSupports.html

the only question I have is, has any one used the double rings without using the cord that attaches from the hammock to the rings. I have a an ENO with caribiners on the end and it seems like i could put the rings directly onto the caribiners. The only reason I'm asking and not trying it is cause I won't be home for a nother week or two and I am curious if this would work. Seems like it would be a pretty easy suspension system.

Thanks
    I dont see why not...the tension from the webbing passing in between the rings shouldnt change using a larks head (like shown on JJs webpage) or caribiner. Most of us use the knot because it is lighter...
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    DW netless/JS Full net
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    Dutch buckle/strap
    I haven't tried the rings Shane so I may be talking ut of turn, but the way I understand it is the rope provides tension on the rings to clamp down on the strap. If put on the biner it would allow the rings to "free float" and not bite.

The way I understand it anywho.
    Look up before you hook up!!
    Originally Posted by body942
    Me big. Me like hammockgear burrow. Long. Problems no. People good.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I tend to agree with Rick. I think having cord around both rings provides more tension and will keep them together better. If the second ring is looser, then the strap may slip through. It's a good idea to use a slippery half hitch as a back up knot to prevent slippage. I have used double rings without doing a half hitch with no problems but one time I did have a slip so its possible. The cinch buckles Paul at AHE sells are smaller, lighter and more secure (do not require a back up knot). If you like the cinch buckle system consider getting a pair of his.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1SL/UKHamm
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S/CamoSF
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WhoopieDutchness
    I had some bits lying around in the bat cave so I've just tried it for you.

It seems it does hold okay but you need to make sure the rings are lined up evenly before you put any tension on the webbing. If they're slightly out of line it doesn't hold at all and just slips through.

Tried to get a piccy of it working ...

It's a bit too fussy for my liking and I'm not sure I'd be confident about making it through the night without a bump.

Maybe you could put something on the rings to hold them before you clip them into the carabiner ? Maybe a couple of wraps of cord would do it ?

Hammock
    DIY + whoopie SLR
    Tarp
    Golite poncho tarp
    Insulation
    Down UQ / Down bag
    Suspension
    Amsteel whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TFC Rick View Post
    I haven't tried the rings Shane so I may be talking ut of turn, but the way I understand it is the rope provides tension on the rings to clamp down on the strap. If put on the biner it would allow the rings to "free float" and not bite.

The way I understand it anywho.
    I used rings directly on biners. It does work, I hung off it for maybe 2 months, but you're right it allows the rings to rotate and doesn't grip as well as when larksheaded to cord. Saying that I never had any problems so long as I was confident in the safety knot behind the rings, but when the rings did twist it seemed to put a LOT of force across the half hitchs. So YMMV

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shewie View Post
    I had some bits lying around in the bat cave so I've just tried it for you.

It seems it does hold okay but you need to make sure the rings are lined up evenly before you put any tension on the webbing. If they're slightly out of line it doesn't hold at all and just slips through.
    You could back up your webbing with a half hitch. The knot would not slip through the rings...just a thought
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    DIY Wbbb Clone
    Tarp
    12x10 Cat cut DIY
    Suspension
    Ring Buckles
    Images
    Get a small length of cord, tie knot around back of rings. Hook beener to said side of rings.
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. ~Steven Wright

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    8X10 all purp tarp
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    12ft dble webbing
    thanks for the picture...that is exactly what i was talking about. What I might try to do is tie the rings to the biner and then once I loop the webbing through the ring, tie a good knot to keep the webbing from slipping
    God saw all that he had made, and it was very good.

Genesis 1:31

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    Hex Fly / Stock HH
    Insulation
    3SBurrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    WS's/ET's
    You could use a small continous loop and girth hitch/larks head it to the rings, then hook the biner to that loop.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast