1st time making one

I'm too cheap to buy one so thought I'd make 1. Namely a basic ripstop model for overnight camping. I've seen photos but am confused about the construction of the various seems (& necessity for them). Anyone around Centre Co. PA have a model to show me what this is supposed to look like after completion?

Welcome jpvjr! There are some pretty knowledgeable folks around here. And very helpful too.

I assume you are talking about a hammock. The easiest diy hammock I know of is the gathered end hammock. Look at one of the first threads in the DIY section for great instructions on how to make one. Knotty posted it and the followup conversation is a good start.

Also, I recommend reading through and evening searching using the search feature for good advice, often with pictures and drawings.

Good luck and hope you get to hanging soon,

cutter

Quote Originally Posted by Cutter View Post
    Welcome jpvjr! There are some pretty knowledgeable folks around here. And very helpful too.

I assume you are talking about a hammock. The easiest diy hammock I know of is the gathered end hammock. Look at one of the first threads in the DIY section for great instructions on how to make one. Knotty posted it and the followup conversation is a good start.

Also, I recommend reading through and evening searching using the search feature for good advice, often with pictures and drawings.

Good luck and hope you get to hanging soon,

cutter
    yep I'm talking about a hammock, a Marine woman said I should try & get off the ground if I'm sleeping in the woods in winter. Makes sense. In Iraq we had cots which were ok so why not ? it's probably 1/10 the wieght.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Here's the instructions: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=15205

Simplest suspension option is Straps. Some use Mule Tape (Used to pull wire in long conduit runs.) I've sold a lot here pretty cheap. Straps are more durable, though. The best suspension option is a tree-hugger (short strap) a toggle and a whoopie sling (adjustable ultralight hi-tech rope setup)

You'll need some sort of insulation under you to start. Check the PADs section, unless you have the $ to buy an underquilt. What you do is all relative to the temperature you want to camp in: (Shug and the Polar Bear club down to -26 degrees, or ME, and barely get below 32, or some of our members in Southern Florida where 40 is a cold night...)

Here's the Pads section: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/f...splay.php?f=10

Basically, read around here for a few weeks. make a plan and ask opinions on your plan. You'll get lots of input. It's an evolution. Your weight will determine what fabrics you use (to some degree.) and the camping temps will determine your insulation needs. Don't go into the woods without testing your gear at home or near your car... especially if you're going well below freezing...

Regards,

John
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    You could also get a copy of Ed Speers book "hammock camping"----its full of great info, and step by step directions how to make a hammock. (including formulas to find out what weight to make the hammock and how long to make it---really helpful!)
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Images

Ed Speer's guide to hammock camping

I used Speers design and it's a really easy build and really rock solid.
    On my hammock i used the strapping from an old set of ratchet straps cut the hook off and away you go
    Check out my pictures on my profile.
    If you have any questions let me know

Hammock
    DIY HH clone sorta
    Tarp
    DIY 11x10ish mess
    Insulation
    DIY Primaloft UQ
    Suspension
    DIY straps w/whoop
    Images
    I just finished sewing HeadChange4U's Hennessey hammock Clone. I'm still working on the bug netting, but the hammock body is finished. His instructions were spot on, and not very difficult to fabricate at all. In fact the simplicity of it is really making me doubt it (i.e. should it have been this easy?) But so far so good.

• + New Posts