11ft DIY
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway
    Insulation
    DIY Primaloft
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    I have the toxaway and I've been really happy with it. Depending on how you do your ridge line (over or under) will be one of the biggest factors in how high up you have to tie to the tree. I don't normally have to reach any higher to hang my tarp than I have to reach for my hammock suspension (I normally tie off below my tree straps) and I run my ridge line over the tarp. I have not had any experience with other tarps but the toxaway is really nice.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    No ridgeline on mine and sorry if my using that terminology was confusing. I tie off at each end of the top of the hammock, and while there is inevitably an angle on those tieouts, the end of the tarp where I tie out do not appear to go up, but remains in a straight line. So, no over or under affecting how high it gets tied off.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    The Toxaway, and all of our tarps are a strait cut ridge-line. But for an incredibly tight pitch on many tarps a technique that many folks will use is to set up the tarp but have the ridge-line slightly loose, then as you tension the guy outs to the stakes you will pull the tarp down some into a taunt pitch. This at times will put a slight arch in the ridge of the tarp. The advantage being that as you loosen the tie-outs to the stakes the ridge line is not tight and hard to loosen (depends on the line you use for your ridge line but some do not release well under tight tension. You can see that very well in Cold's picture above.

Differences wise against other manufactures we do a few things that save some weight, such as using a rolled hem rather than GGR edging around the perimeter, that saves about 2 ounces. One other difference overall is that we work to be the fastest cottage shop on the forums. If ordered today we could have a Toxaway ready to ship on Monday where most others have at least a couple weeks wait time.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Thank you so much for the explanation. How much extra for pull outs? Or would you recommend grip clips?

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    We have not done pullouts on either of the smaller tarps before...I have not really seen the need with a tarp this size. But I do have some new small size Grip clips that I have never used that I could toss in
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    I want a big, light tarp at a reasonable price - which rules out cuben. The Toxaway tarp and the Bigmambajamba look like the final contestants, although the MacCat Ultra (if I can get one) is in the mix.

The Toxaway appears to have a bit of a different cut than the other two, specifically along the ridgeline which looks less straight and more like the ridgeline has a cat cut. Wondering if that is correct, and then what the advantage or disadvantage would be? Plus anything else that might be a significant difference.

p.s. I have a 10' hammock and might prefer the 12' ridgeline of the Toxaway or Maccat, but I'm taking into acct the success of the BMJ with other 10' hammock setups (and the pullouts).
    your 10' hammock is most likely the length of the hammock body, not the length from end to end, which would be the ridgeline length, which is probably somewhere around 8.5-9 feet depending on which hammock you have. blackbirds are a 10' body but they are only about 8'4" long (ridgeline length), so you'd have plenty of overlap (16" or so at each end)

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    your 10' hammock is most likely the length of the hammock body, not the length from end to end, which would be the ridgeline length, which is probably somewhere around 8.5-9 feet depending on which hammock you have. blackbirds are a 10' body but they are only about 8'4" long (ridgeline length), so you'd have plenty of overlap (16" or so at each end)
    Dakotaross, there you go, straight from Warbonnet, himself. That's why I love this forum.
    Like others have said, the RL goes over or under depending on your likes and will affect the pitch of the tarp end as well as the tension of the bottom guy lines. Your set up has no separate RL and the ends tie directly to trees making it more level. Again depends on your likes.
    As Brandon has stated, the length of your hammock is purchased or made length, not hanging length. Set up your hammock then messure from end to end for your actual hang length. That may help you.
    Happy hanging.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway:UGQ WD
    Insulation
    UGQ,KAQ,Tewa
    Suspension
    strap/buckles
    Images

Dakota,

I have a Tox and like it a lot. it covers my WBBB and Explorer very well. I think its roomy. I have made a continious ridge line and just tied off the tarp with single lines as well. I usually tie it off at the top of where my hammock suspension goes around the tree. Will try to attach pic if I am able. Either tarp will work great for you! Your looking at 2 of the best made!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway:UGQ WD
    Insulation
    UGQ,KAQ,Tewa
    Suspension
    strap/buckles
    Images

pics of tarp

Lets try this again. Here maybe are pics
    Attached Images Attached Images