Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    UQG WinterDream 12
    Insulation
    SLD Full Synth
    Suspension
    Beetles 11' Dynema

Question Can you help me pick fabric for dual layer Chameleon?

Hi Forum

I'm posting to ask for your help in selecting my fabric choices for my first Dutch Chameleon.

The Schill Brothers video recomend the wide version but at 5' 8" tall I was thinking of the standard width.
    If anyone who is around my height has a different opinion, please share.

I'm going with a double layer as I like the convience of just throwing in a thin closed-cell pad for cool nights.

Weigh in at 240#.

Debating between DLs of Hex 1.6, or new NylonD 1.7, or putting a layer of Hex1.0 on the inside layer and either the Hex1.6 or NylonD 1.7 on the outside.

Can anyone share their comments regarding these fabrics to help me choose?

Thanks ALL!

Hammock
    Chameleon/Ridgerunner/Raven
    Tarp
    OMW/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Ghost P/Ridge Reap
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    So I am 5 foot 9 inches, a little shy of 200. I got a Dream Hammock in as wide as possible. It is easily my most comfortable hammock. I went with the Chameleon in standard width and while comfortable it feels more narrow to me and I don't sleep as well in it. It is hexon 1.0. With this current sale, I decided to try the Chameleon wide in hexon 1.6. Since I just bought it, I can't say for a couple days how good it will be, but personally I think I like a wider hammock. All of mine are single layer. May not be helpful, maybe just more confusing to you.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    UQG WinterDream 12
    Insulation
    SLD Full Synth
    Suspension
    Beetles 11' Dynema
    No that helps for sure. I've read that even folks who are shorter than I prefer the wider hammock but some folks say they don't like the extra fabric that comes with the wide.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ridgerunner/ chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch beetles
    I use a Double later 1.6 chameleon in wide. I’m 5’10” 200. I also have a single 1.6. The double for me is more comfortable. It’s a stiffer lay which I like. I get no calf ridge with the double. The single is good but a little too stretchy and aggravates a back injury. The main reason I have a double is for bugs. Everglades camping is brutal. And I have the wide for the same reason. I throw my knees and hands out towards the bug net when I sleep and a I get up against the Bugnet and get rocked by bugs. The wide keeps me out of the bug net and I don’t get eat up in my sleep. If ya like a little stiffer lay then go for it. Killer hammock for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    I've seen Kevin on the forums. The video you're talking about (WB BB/DW Chameleon/DH Darien), I think that was a DH Darien wide. The other two were standard widths.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    UQG WinterDream 12
    Insulation
    SLD Full Synth
    Suspension
    Beetles 11' Dynema
    Thanks Saltfly -

Since you have 2 Chameleons, is one of them regular and one wide? I think I'm leaning towards the dual layer 1.6 or 1.7 but not sure about Wide vs Regular. Any thoughts you could share?

Hammock
    Warbonnet ridgerunner/ chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch beetles
    Quote Originally Posted by mcody View Post
    Thanks Saltfly -

Since you have 2 Chameleons, is one of them regular and one wide? I think I'm leaning towards the dual layer 1.6 or 1.7 but not sure about Wide vs Regular. Any thoughts you could share?
    Both Dutch hammocks are wide. I have a 11’x59” wide Hennessy which is the width of the regular Dutch. I layed in it the other day and wow it seems cramped bad compared to the Dutch. If you don’t have the issues I have and want to save a little weight get the regular. If you want big time space and comfort get the wide. But you will have to use the tie outs to keep the extra material from draping on ya. Which work great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    What I like about the Dream Hammock hammocks, is that if you know your have your hammock width preference dialed in, the Smurfs can cut the hammock width to ANY width you desire, up to as wide as possible. As far as I know, the Chameleon only comes in 2 widths, which is 58" standard width or wide (unsure of exactly how wide but probably 66-72" wide). Both are 11 ft long. If you want symmetrical bug nets on either, those are also available from both cottage vendors. For DH, the Raven has the symmetrical bug net as well as the Sparrow (optional). Dutchware Gear also offers the Chameleon with either the asym or symmetrical bug net.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyroler Holzhacker View Post
    What I like about the Dream Hammock hammocks, is that if you know your have your hammock width preference dialed in, the Smurfs can cut the hammock width to ANY width you desire, up to as wide as possible. As far as I know, the Chameleon only comes in 2 widths, which is 58" standard width or wide (unsure of exactly how wide but probably 66-72" wide). Both are 11 ft long. If you want symmetrical bug nets on either, those are also available from both cottage vendors. For DH, the Raven has the symmetrical bug net as well as the Sparrow (optional). Dutchware Gear also offers the Chameleon with either the asym or symmetrical bug net.
    People ask for special widths often and we have no problem filling those request. We have to cut off the salvage so to cut it 66 or 64 makes no different and we do it for free.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    People ask for special widths often and we have no problem filling those request. We have to cut off the salvage so to cut it 66 or 64 makes no different and we do it for free.
    Wow, good to know. I'll keep that in mind for my next order.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast