SLD SL, WBBB XLC, TTTG
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    AHE, HG
    Suspension
    Various

Overland Lake

I'm a bit late getting this posted, but I thought you would enjoy some pictures of my hike to Overland Lake in the Ruby Mountains near Elko, NV on May 5th and 6th.

The mountains didn't get much snow this year so the trails are open a little earlier than usual. The picture above shows only the tops of the mountains have snow. This trail is fairly steep with lots of switchbacks and no snow makes for easier walking. About a mile up the trail you enter the Ruby Mountains Wilderness Area.

I started to hit patches of snow three miles up the trail. About a quarter of a mile from the lake is where the snow got deep. I packed my snow shoes but didn't need them. The snow was hard enough to walk on.

It's just a little over 5.5 miles to the lake from the trail head on the Ruby Valley side. The lake sits at an elevation of 9,465 ft. and of course it was still covered with ice and snow. There is a sign nailed to a tree at the lake next to an old cabin.

I found a nice place to set up my hammock and tarp. This was my first time using the danger bird and I love this hammock. Very comfortable.

I stored all my stuff in the Molly Mac Gear Box to keep it out of the snow.

The temperature dropped down to 19.2*F. I had my Flame Thrower underquilt rated at 30*F and I was still warm. I don't think I would want to go much lower without more insulation.

When I got ready to leave my tarp guy lines were frozen in the snow. I had wrapped them around sticks and burried them. It got cold enough the snow froze and I had a heck of a time digging them out. I thought I was going to have to leave them.

I had beautiful weather for this trip. I wouldn't have had to use a tarp except for the wind was blowing fairly hard when I arrived at the lake.

Here are a couple more pictures of the area around the lake.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Te-Wa Freeze
    Suspension
    Dynaglide slings
    Nice playground you got there. Good to see you're getting out and testing your gear.
    "I'm a connoisseur of BACON." - Anyways - 6/9/13

Hammock
    SLD SL, WBBB XLC, TTTG
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    AHE, HG
    Suspension
    Various
    Quote Originally Posted by MuseJr View Post
    Nice playground you got there. Good to see you're getting out and testing your gear.
    I haven't done enough this winter to stay in shape. I'm trying to rectify that so I can keep up with you and Paul this summer.

I'm planning a trip to Cold Lakes in a couple of months. You should see if you can make it over. Last time I was there it was terrific brook trout fishing.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Dbl. SouthPaw
    Great Pictures, looks like a nice trip!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Te-Wa Freeze
    Suspension
    Dynaglide slings
    Quote Originally Posted by KSC View Post
    I haven't done enough this winter to stay in shape. I'm trying to rectify that so I can keep up with you and Paul this summer.

I'm planning a trip to Cold Lakes in a couple of months. You should see if you can make it over. Last time I was there it was terrific brook trout fishing.
    Round is a shape, right!!! That is the shape I have stayed in... (I don't think you will have any trouble keeping up with me.)
    Give me some date options and I will see what I can do to get over there. I want to check out the new hammock. It looks like a good one. July is shaping up to be very busy, but I might have a weekend open.
    "I'm a connoisseur of BACON." - Anyways - 6/9/13

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    ZPacks cuben
    Insulation
    WB, JRB, or HG
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Looks like you had a great time up there. Awesome pics too. Might have to make a road trip from Vegas to check that place out!

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Very nice KSC, very nice. I was wondering how the snow level was down there for you. Count me in once the ice is off.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    SLD SL, WBBB XLC, TTTG
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    AHE, HG
    Suspension
    Various
    Quote Originally Posted by MuseJr View Post
    Round is a shape, right!!! That is the shape I have stayed in... (I don't think you will have any trouble keeping up with me.)
    Give me some date options and I will see what I can do to get over there. I want to check out the new hammock. It looks like a good one. July is shaping up to be very busy, but I might have a weekend open.
    I will try to make it happen in August if that works better for you. It's a tough hike but well worth it when you get there.

Quote Originally Posted by jayf124 View Post
    Looks like you had a great time up there. Awesome pics too. Might have to make a road trip from Vegas to check that place out!
    Let me know when you are coming up and I will direct you to some nice places to visit.

Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    Very nice KSC, very nice. I was wondering how the snow level was down there for you. Count me in once the ice is off.
    You need to make it down this year. I don't think there will be much ice after the first of June. I will keep you posted.

• + New Posts