Circadian
    Tarp
    11 footer
    Insulation
    goose down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images

a new thought perhaps on double hammocks..

Maybe I missed the idea, but a previous recent thread got me thinking. Could not a double hammock be designed in such a way that there would be a bottom raised ridge between the two sleepers so that each person could not roll into the other person? sort of have their own little nest but still one hammock. just wondering...

Dblhammock has been working on a two person bridge with a center "ridge" that, if I knew how to sew I would try to copy.http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=8900

But along the line of your question, I was recently wondering if you you could take a XXL gathered end hammock such as http://www.hammockbliss.com/Hammock_Bliss_Triple.html and run a "ridge line" under the center of the hammock to make it into two pockets. But neither occupant could lie diagonally, and you'd probably still be mushed toward the center.

Or maybe two singles with the the ends connected.... then both lie diagonally in parallel.

Just thinking out loud. But still hoping to combine marital bliss and hammock sleeping.
    Last edited by BER; 10-08-2009 at 20:54.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    There have been a number of attempts at double hammocks over the time I have been a member here. Dblhammocks is the only one, that I am aware of, which has actually been put to intentional use. Clark as recently come out with a double hammock commercially but it is wicked pricey. I think there is at least floating around in some members collection. I don't recall seeing a specific review of it but I certainly might have missed it.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Clark Vertex. Cavediver2 did a bit of a review here: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=7764. Three trees, two at head end. WIDE space between the pockets. Although I have never tried it, it seems like this would be no better than having two separate hammocks hung in approximation.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Genuine Draft and I had the opportunity to use Cabediver2's Vertex for a few weeks. I found it to a well designed hammock system for two. Close enough for a couple to be happy, but roomy enough that two people could use it without being a couple.
    Trust nobody!

Quote Originally Posted by Crawldaddy View Post
    Maybe I missed the idea, but a previous recent thread got me thinking. Could not a double hammock be designed in such a way that there would be a bottom raised ridge between the two sleepers so that each person could not roll into the other person? sort of have their own little nest but still one hammock. just wondering...
    Do you envision this double hammock being suspended by two trees, or by three trees? If by two trees, it seems hard to create sepparation that prevents people from rolling into each other. Please think of a way to do this effectively, because I really want it to work!

If you envision it being suspended from three trees, be prepared to search harder for a site. If it hangs between three trees, you get to decide how independently each little nest will be. That part will be affected by use of spreader bars and suspension configuration.

I think the double hammock is a noble idea, I have one model which I am modifying to reduse middle ridge sepparation of the occupants from the shoulder to head area. This seems to be a worthwhile modification. It seems to be working, but testing has been sporatic while I scramble to make a living.

I look forward to seeing other peoples solutions to the solving the double hammock dream.

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Genuine Draft and I had the opportunity to use Cabediver2's Vertex for a few weeks. I found it to a well designed hammock system for two. Close enough for a couple to be happy, but roomy enough that two people could use it without being a couple.
    Unlike Dblhammock's though, the Vertex does not look to be amenable to snuggling or sharing of a quilt. Though there is a built in "table" between the hammocks for playing cribbage.

When you and GD have slept together in your WBBB, have you layed next to each other down center, parallel diagonal, or head to foot?

Images
    i thought the vertex was kinda cool, there's about 16" or so between the occupants shoulders which makes a nice storage area for gear. to me the lay felt about the same as the na.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BER View Post
    When you and GD have slept together in your WBBB, have you layed next to each other down center, parallel diagonal, or head to foot?
    Parallel diagonal because we are big snugglers when sleeping double in a hammock.

I agree with Brandon about the lay of the Vertex being comparable to the NAs. The big difference for me is that I can sneak my feet over into the other hammock which provides me with enough diagonal to fall asleep easily. I always, without exception, awoke in a side sleeping position. It's the only hammock that makes me sleep on my side 100% of the time.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Warbonet BB 1.1d, BB 1.7d
    Tarp
    Big MJ, Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB quilts, Volara
    Images
    I have ordered Volara in 3/8 and 1/4 from here and not only cheep, but nice and wide to creat a custom cut for the BB.

http://www.closedcellfoams.com/index.html
    "It's like a giant net for catching lazy people"
    "You never see anyone crying in a hammock" -Jim Gaffigan on Hammocks
    NorseAmerican

• + New Posts