Hammock
    eno doublenest
    Insulation
    Hg 0 incubator
    Suspension
    atlas straps
    Images

Snow stakes...sugestions on how to secure tarp and condensation

I live in the Tetons and finally fixed my hammock stand so I can really start testing my winter abilities/setup. What is the best way to secure my tarp in the snow? Planning my first real winter overnighter later in january for my birthday (probably gonna ski in about 5 miles to a hot spring). I've been good down into the high teens, but the ground wasn't balls deep with snow. Also, I have the wbsf tarp, 20 degree bag, 0 degree hg incubator, no vapor barriers or uq protecter, should I be concerned about moisture, been reading alot of stories about wet gear!!! Thanks to you all for the community we have here!!!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    The way that i use most of the time is to tie the tarp lines to sticks about a foot long . Bury them in the snow, and put snow on top and tamp it down. You can put a little bit of tension on them just to get your setup but don't put any real tension on for about 20 mins or so. The snow will set up and you can tension as usual. As far as condensation on your under quilt , in dry winter conditions its not a problem. Its really a wet weather issue or where there is moisture in the air.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    SLD's 12' Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Hand-sewn 12ft-er
    Insulation
    Hand-sewn down
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    Images
    In deep snow I have found the best option is to walk to the nearest road and hitchhike 1 or 2 thousand miles towards the equator! I honestly don't know how/why anyone would wanna sleep in the snow. On a more helpful note, I tend to carry extra line and use it when needed to reach a sapling or tree. I don't carry stakes/pegs. I figure the extra rope weights about the same as stakes would...and the rope is much more useful in the kit. Choose a spot to setup according to ALL tie out points, not just the ridge/sling tree(s). You will often find that the extra saplings/trees help with wind chill as well. Otherwise, I would suggest a variation on mbiraman's method...instead of several long stick-stakes I some times resort to one long fallen log per side. In natural forests this is often easier to find than 4-8 strong stick-pegs. A log on its side would also provide much more solid anchor points than sticks once snow is set.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuban
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Speedhooks
    Hi there. For securing the tarp you don't actually need very much - a tent peg or stick tied at 90 degree angle to the guy line and then dig a 'T' in the snow and sit the peg in it. Tamp snow over the top of it and wait a couple of seconds for the snow to set and you will need an ice axe or shovel to dig it out.

Hammock
    Snipe, Netty, Argon
    Tarp
    Tadpole, Cuben, SF
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Dutch DooDads
    Another simple method, take 4 plastic grocery bags, fill and bury them in the snow and put your guy-line through the handles. Cheap and easy.
    Visit Backpacking Adventures and submit your pictures into our monthly contest!

Check us out on YouTube or FaceBook

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I do what mbiraman does. I've also used snow stakes in the past but they are big and heavy.
    Last edited by Bubba; 12-30-2014 at 09:32.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    I also do what mbiraman does. However different snow conditions may dictate slightly different methods. Type of snow, depth, temperature, etc... when using the stick method, I have found it very easy to to loop the cord around the stick, use a loose knot with quick release (as mbiramin suggests wait 20 min before you tighten). When it is time to leave, undo the knot and pull the cord through the snow. If done right, the stick will remain in the snow. This method is very helpful when conditions end up freezing things down. No need to dig through ice to get a stake, or a stick with a knot, etc... disclaimer: I don't use tent stakes in any season, I always tie off to other trees, rocks, roots, and use sticks. By being stakeless all seasons I think it helps my efficiency when conditions require different methods. Less items to potentially leave at the site too.
    "There's a whisper on the night-wind, there's a star agleam to guide us, And the Wild is calling, calling . . . let us go." -from "The Call of the Wild" by Robert Service
    My Trail log: http://ducttapeadk.blogspot.com/

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    I've used the method mbiraman mentioned with good results. I picked up some snow stakes, but there hasn't been enough snow to try them out yet.

Banned
    Hammock
    warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    warbonet edge
    Insulation
    :(
    Quote Originally Posted by 12trysomething View Post
    Another simple method, take 4 plastic grocery bags, fill and bury them in the snow and put your guy-line through the handles. Cheap and easy.
    Like this idea ^

Hammock
    Multicam Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Multicam Bushcraft
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Buckles and straps
    I used bags, then got some fancy bags called snow sacks at REI.
    Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• + New Posts