Tarp
    WB
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoops
    Images

Cook pot elevator help - whitebox stove

Recently I picked up a whitebox stove (www.whiteboxstoves.com) and I'm really liking this little guy. Weighs absolutely NOTHING and puts out a ton of heat.

I don't just boil water though, I do like to do a little cooking. Because the whitebox doesn't have a heat regulator, has anyone found an ultralight solution to elevating the cook pot to a "simmer"? ... Wire coat hanger or something??? I'm using a Snow Peak Trek 900ti pot.

Would also be interested in DIY solutions for a pot lid (rather than the Ti pan it comes with!)

Thanks for the help!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    I'd just take a second stove. A Simmer Cat is easy to make. http://jwbasecamp.com/Articles/SuperCat/index.html (scroll down to find it)

The White Box is one of those stoves I'd hesitate to fuss with... having the pot on the stove pressurizes it and makes it work efficiently. Taking the pot off results in a tower of flame.

A sheet of heavy foil makes a light pot lid - flimsy but it works.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    2nd what Lori said. The whitebox has to have the pot setting directly on stove. I tried it with a Caldera Cone. What I got was a flamethrower

Hammock
    Wbbb 1.1dbl.- Traveler multicam 1.9
    Tarp
    H.G. Cuben camo
    Insulation
    Phinc-burrow- H.R.
    I haven't tried it yet but I cut the bottom out of a pop can, 1/2 in.
    and was going to use it for just that purpose for my one egg wonder..
    Cap it over my venom- bud stove to keep the burn normal and just hold the pan to height wanted... I may be wrong on this, but I will let ya know..

Hammock
    Dutch
    Tarp
    WB
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoops
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lori View Post
    I'd just take a second stove. A Simmer Cat is easy to make. http://jwbasecamp.com/Articles/SuperCat/index.html (scroll down to find it)

The White Box is one of those stoves I'd hesitate to fuss with... having the pot on the stove pressurizes it and makes it work efficiently. Taking the pot off results in a tower of flame.

A sheet of heavy foil makes a light pot lid - flimsy but it works.
    Bummer. I'm wondering if there's a way to cap a few of the jets to slow the burn and thus reduce the heat? Maybe some kind of aluminum sleeve that blocks half of the jets?

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    You could always email Bill and ask him what he thinks... he designed it. His email address is on his web page, whiteboxstoves.com.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH w/ 2Q 3-zipper mod
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    JRB MW3, HR on top
    Suspension
    WhoOpiesling!
    Images

whitebox vs fancyfeast

I tried my new whitebox stove this weekend on a hang with my 10 year old son Jake. We trued it with a GSI Dualist pot. We found the whitebox gulps fuel. We filled it to it's max fuel level (3+ oz) per the instructions and just got 2/3 of said pot almost to a boil before running out of fuel. 82 degrees, slight wind mitigated by the enclosed windscreen.

We reloaded the whitebox with fuel (yellow bottle heat) and the second fill kept our 1/2 box dry noodles boiling right along for the required 8 min plus a minute or so.

After that we switched to our DIY Fancyfeast stove and heini pot. 24 ounces of h2o for cocoa and tea boiled right along at about 1 - 1.5 oz. of fuel.

This am we boiled the same amount of h2o for coffee and oatmeal in the GSI pot as we did last night for pasta and the Fancyfeast stove did it on 2 oz of fuel.

I need to see where in the GSI pot a full heini comes to.

The Fancyfest stove strikes me as being compatible with a Caldera Cone. The Whitebox requires the pot to sit right on the stove to pressurize it.

My $.02.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by Javaman View Post
    I tried my new whitebox stove this weekend on a hang with my 10 year old son Jake. We trued it with a GSI Dualist pot. We found the whitebox gulps fuel. We filled it to it's max fuel level (3+ oz) per the instructions and just got 2/3 of said pot almost to a boil before running out of fuel. 82 degrees, slight wind mitigated by the enclosed windscreen.
    Out of curiosity, did you set up the windscreen with the recommended inch of air space between the screen and the side of the pot to give the stove enough air?

The fancyfeast stove is less efficient than the white box and is like the white box in that the pot turns it into a side burner - raise the pot a few inches and it is a larger version of a tea light stove.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    A simmer ring mod.
    Here.

Just a thought, might work.?
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH w/ 2Q 3-zipper mod
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    JRB MW3, HR on top
    Suspension
    WhoOpiesling!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lori View Post
    Out of curiosity, did you set up the windscreen with the recommended inch of air space between the screen and the side of the pot to give the stove enough air?

The fancyfeast stove is less efficient than the white box and is like the white box in that the pot turns it into a side burner - raise the pot a few inches and it is a larger version of a tea light stove.
    Yep, had plenty of air.

I should clarify that we were not using a classic "Fancy Feest" or Fancy Feast stove aka Super Cat. We were using Knotty's Fancy Feest stove here:

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ghlight=knotty

FWIW, a cool idea for a Whitebox potstand can be had here:

http://jwbasecamp.com/Articles/Super...nd2/index.html

Just use the bottom section of a Bud aluminum stadium bottle attached to the larger cat food can instead of the Fancy Feast can. I might have to try this since the Whitebox seems a bit tippy.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast