Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ / DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

DIY tarp thought and Sierra Madre Research 'Nube'

So I've recently discovered the Nube, after the Kickstarter had closed. There is some great thought around the design, with a few areas leaving me scratching my head. My main question to the group, while I ponder a DIY tarp, is as follows.

Has anyone successfully integrated a bugnet into a tarp? Pros and cons that you have found? I'm also interested In the way the suspension runs through the tarp 'sleeves'. Seems like this would be a great way to bypass doors, grizz beaks/peak beeks, and some form of drip system. Anybody ever try this approach?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...y-sierra-madre

My main head scratching area is around how high this system sits in relation to the ground. Seems like it would be too drafty in the winter/cooler months or make entry a challenge with very low sides if hung lower. Overall, I appreciate their thought in design and their overall mission to help others in need - just not sure their product is a fit for me personally. And, most true, I'm a bit DIY obsessed lately....
    Last edited by makomachine; 10-04-2013 at 15:26.

Hammock
    DIY WBBB, DIY Flex 180
    Tarp
    MEC Guides Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 down UQ
    Suspension
    Buckles and binas
    The main problem I see with supending bug netting from a tarp is that its a lot of extra material for not too much benefit all the space under the tarp would be un-useable unless there was a stronger material on the floor ie in the nube also i guess it would limit the ammount of flexibility you had to pitch your tarp, out wide and high or steep and low, not wanting to put a damper on your idea i like the design put forth in the nube just some fodder for the mental meat grinder.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I like the Nube concept but for me, I prefer a more modular approach. I like being able to set a tarp on its own for say a lunch break or day hike. When there are no bugs I can take a netless hammock if I wanted to. Having a tarp in porch mode with a wide open view is awesome for watching sunrises, sunsets or lightning storms. A tarp with side pull outs has more interior room to move around under as well. Being able to take different tarps means I can take a lighter tarp when backpacking or a bigger tarp when snowshoeing. I know not everyone out there has multiple hammocks and tarps so the Nube will appeal to those who want an all in one system.

As a DIY'er, I think you'd be better off making all the components separate. Having a separate bugnet gives you the option of leaving it at home in the bug free weather. I also think a tarp, hammock and bugnet would be easier to make on their own vs making a Nube style system. Just my opinion.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.1/ DIY SL Digicam 1.8
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ / DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Good points and I'm likely to stick to a more proven and modular design. I was intrigued with the bugnet and shape as having a single tarp setup for my wife and I is an attractive option. Regardless, I appreciate someone pressing the envelope with new ideas.

The nube, however creative, falls short for me in 3 main areas: 1. by being overly convoluted in design and setup. 2. by being really heavy. And 3. by being way too expensive for what it is.

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammonkey View Post
    The nube, however creative, falls short for me in 3 main areas: 1. by being overly convoluted in design and setup. 2. by being really heavy. And 3. by being way too expensive for what it is.
    EDIT: Thanks, Brady, for the clarification. Nube (as I should have seen when I read the specs) is only a 'shelter system' which needs a hammock added. Sorry to 'muddy the waters'......
    End Edit

I don't think I'd buy a Nube either, but....

I don't understand your statements about weight and price.
    What is your comparison product?
    Warbonnett products seem to be a particular 'pet' of many people at HF , and it sounds to me like the Nube is
    a)lighter (2# / 32 oz without stakes)
    b)cheaper ($250)

than something like the WBBB and a large tarp (39 oz and $295).

Some folks might even compare the Nube to the 52 oz $300+ Exped Ergo, though I don't think it is competitive with the Ergo when you examine the design and features.
    Last edited by VictoriaGuy; 10-06-2013 at 21:00.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Standard
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Straps

Re: DIY tarp thought and Sierra Madre Research 'Nube'

Quote Originally Posted by VictoriaGuy View Post
    I don't think I'd buy a Nube either, but....

I don't understand your statements about weight and price.
    What is your comparison product?
    Warbonnett products seem to be a particular 'pet' of many people at HF , and it sounds to me like the Nube is
    a)lighter (2# / 32 oz without stakes)
    b)cheaper ($250)

than something like the WBBB and a large tarp (39 oz and $295).

Some folks might even compare the Nube to the 52 oz $300+ Exped Ergo, though I don't think it is competitive with the Ergo when you examine the design and features.
    The Nube is 32oz without the hammock, you need to add one. The Superfly is 19oz. I think that's what is being compared
    Brady

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Standard
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Straps
    I think it's a cool concept and my wife may buy one for car camping but not for the backpack. It's definitely not the heaviest option out there but it's up there.
    Brady

• + New Posts