Tarp
    DIY Sil
    Insulation
    KickAss UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Question KAQ question

I am expecting my materials to arrive around Wed. so I can start to build my underquilt. Am I correct in assuming that you do not use the side tieouts on a HH when configuring the quilt in "cold mode"?

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gstepclassical View Post
    I am expecting my materials to arrive around Wed. so I can start to build my underquilt. Am I correct in assuming that you do not use the side tieouts on a HH when configuring the quilt in "cold mode"?
    Yup, you're right.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Images
    That would be a good question for Pan and Smee to answer. With my Nest Underquilt at the Winter Campout, there was some discussion about wether to tie the sides of the hammock out or not. I have an Explorer UL ASYM and I tied the sides out. No problems, stayed comfy in the cold and still had enough room that I didnt feel like I was being squeezed. BD
    Just Jeff made me do it

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird Dog View Post
    That would be a good question for Pan and Smee to answer. With my Nest Underquilt at the Winter Campout, there was some discussion about wether to tie the sides of the hammock out or not. I have an Explorer UL ASYM and I tied the sides out. No problems, stayed comfy in the cold and still had enough room that I didnt feel like I was being squeezed. BD
    The darts in the sides of the KAQ Potomac are made to hug closer to your body in 'cold mode'. Tying out the sides doesn't allow this feature to work. Down quilts aren't made this way.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop351 View Post
    The darts in the sides of the KAQ Potomac are made to hug closer to your body in 'cold mode'. Tying out the sides doesn't allow this feature to work. Down quilts aren't made this way.
    BB351 has it right....

FTR... it is quite possible to be warm in a HH with the sides tied out if your bottom insulation is adequate.... The comment made at the Mt Rogers hangout was that.... If you are hanging in a HH at the limits of your underquilt if you loosen or untie the side tie outs the hammock will curl up around you thus effectively doubling the side insulation an thereby making a greater contribution to body heat retained..... Clear?

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    HH Exped Asym
    Tarp
    DIY Sil
    Insulation
    KickAss UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Thanks. I thought I read something to that effect but wasn't sure. Should be interesting as I am mildly claustrophobic. Even have trouble with a full face helmet on the bike now and then.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Thanks. I thought I read something to that effect but wasn't sure. Should be interesting as I am mildly claustrophobic. Even have trouble with a full face helmet on the bike now and then.
    You might eventually want to look into a Speer-type hammock then. Ask NCPatrick about that - he's had some similar issues with his HH.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Yes, I have been mildly claustrophobic in my Hennessy. I think a lot of it was all the layers I used to wear to keep warm. I finally got the KAQ fitted correctly, and have learned that for me the limitation of the KAQ temp wise was about 28. YMMV (and it probrably will). I won a JRB Stealth quilt at the Mt Rogers campout (thanks JRB and Blackbishop!) and I use it to supplement, as an underquilt layer inside the KAQ in colder weather. So far that has taken me down to 19F.

FWIW, I never use the Hennessy side tie-outs with the KAQ. I really like the "bathtub" effect of having it wrap up around the sides. Much more cozy, and it also blocks the breezes.

Hammock
    HH Exped Asym
    Tarp
    DIY Sil
    Insulation
    KickAss UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I will look into the Speer products but the budget will be spent making an underquilt for my wife if this one turns out. Thanks to NCPatrick for the heads up on the quilt. Sounds like it should work great and congrats on winning a prize at the Mt Rogers gathering. My wife and I were up there the week before Thanksgiving BH (before hammocking) in 4-6 inches of snow with high teens for temps overnight. We went up the Mt Rogers trail and stayed overnight near the Thomas Knob shelter and went back down via the Pine Mountain trail. It was breathtaking in the morning and the ponies were looking for handouts. What a cool place. The claustrophobia came from an event that happened to us about fifteen years ago. Can't seem to be able to tell when it going to come on but I have learned how to deal with it.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    My wife and I were up there the week before Thanksgiving BH (before hammocking) in 4-6 inches of snow with high teens for temps overnight. We went up the Mt Rogers trail and stayed overnight near the Thomas Knob shelter and went back down via the Pine Mountain trail. It was breathtaking in the morning and the ponies were looking for handouts. What a cool place.
    Sounds like you had a great trip! I'd like to get back up there asap.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast