DIY 1.1 once
    Tarp
    maccat micro
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    i just used 100 polyester.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MarshLaw303 View Post
    so if you don't use a sewing machine why not just tie a figure 8 in one and to form the loop? I have seen this done a lot is there a reason not to do it?

-Tim
    Properly sewn loops reduce the strength of the webbing less than knots. Same with splices versus knots in rope. So, it depends on how much of the rated strength you need or want and whether it is worth the trouble.
    Youngblood AT2000

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
    The strength of the thread as well as how many stitches are used determines how strong the stitching will be. I figure 100 stitches with 1 pound thread is equivalent in strength to 10 stitches with 10 pound thread. Bar tacks allow you to get a lot of stitches in place with thinner (and weaker) thread compared to x-box stitching which is more appropriate for thicker (and stronger) thread.
    One caveat to that rule is do not put so many stitches in one place that you compromise the strength of the fabric. With a very short stitch length it is possible to create a "perforated line" which would tear off just like in a piece of paper. In my exuberance I have done it. There is a balance that is pretty wide but important none the less.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WB Traveler 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images
    I just bought Gutermann sew-all. It is listed as 100% polyester. I also have some Gutemann Heavy Duty on hand. Hang on...Ok this is also 100% polyester. Well that settles it. For the straps and hand stitching, that is what I will certainlyl use.

So 4 horizontal line stitches. Like this....IIII? How long is good? 1.25"? 1.5"?
    “Indian builds small fire and stays warm, white man builds big fire and stays warm collecting firewood”—unknown

“The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea”—Karen Blixen

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Four bartacks across the width of the webbing. So the length of the tack is determined by the width of the webbing.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WB Traveler 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images
    Another question (be kind, I am still new to this...). How big should the circumference of the loop tyically be on tree straps? I will be using this inconjunction with whoopies and toggles.
    “Indian builds small fire and stays warm, white man builds big fire and stays warm collecting firewood”—unknown

Hammock
    DIY Pertex
    Tarp
    DIY with doors on
    Insulation
    Down and synthetic
    Suspension
    Whoopies & hooks
    I tried using 20 kg 0.45mm dyneema fishing braid a while ago, but the machine didn't like it. It kept bunching and jamming.

Hammock
    Ask me tomorrow
    Tarp
    Old Blue
    Insulation
    DIY, HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Agnostic
    Images
    Like many here, I used the Gutermann M782/100m 100% polyester thread. It's a little thicker than standard thread, but not so much that I had to change the tension on my machine. In addition to the standard box with an X sewn in, I added a total of four wide zig-sag straight stitches, two on either end of the box with the X. For my application, I made the loop width a bit bigger than the strapping, but it really depends on what you want to do with it or how versatile you need it to be. For example, some folks sew in their Dutch clips.

Because you might be hand sewing it, you could use the same method they use to stitch leather. See this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rvFO...eature=related You can buy a leather stitching awl at most craft stores, like Michael's. This might give you a stronger stitch than your standard hand stitching, depending on the type of stitch your were going to use. And, you can switch out the thread to the Gutermann as the included thread with the awl is usually pretty thick and coated with wax.

My best to you! Post some pics when you finish.

Hammock
    WB Traveler 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    But you need to be comfortable with your own peace of mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim Mac View Post
    THe four rows of horizontal stitches won out if memory serves me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    Four bartacks across the width of the webbing. So the length of the tack is determined by the width of the webbing.
    With all this in mind, I ended up handstitching one and machining all the others (once I got my TI fixed Sunday). I went with a pattern of a 5-Bar X, in a continuous line (see the attached pic). I am satisified that this will not fail with the 100% polyester, heavy duty thread. I have the yellow Harbor Freight straps, and the yellow-on-yellow photos didn't reveal much.

I decided to keep them at the 11' length. That should go around most oak trees in our area, but be long enough not to need extensions for a wide spread. I think I'll be satisified with the overall length, especially with the whoopies I made.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Skipper View Post
    With all this in mind, I ended up handstitching one and machining all the others (once I got my TI fixed Sunday). I went with a pattern of a 5-Bar X, in a continuous line (see the attached pic). I am satisified that this will not fail with the 100% polyester, heavy duty thread. I have the yellow Harbor Freight straps, and the yellow-on-yellow photos didn't reveal much.

I decided to keep them at the 11' length. That should go around most oak trees in our area, but be long enough not to need extensions for a wide spread. I think I'll be satisified with the overall length, especially with the whoopies I made.
    Is that strong enough? The box said it's only good to 400lbs, and I thought people were getting 1500lb straps?!?

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast