Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rain Fly Question

When you hang the rain fly (or tarp) independent of the hammock do you use a ridgeline running the long axis of the fly and tied off to the trees to support the rain fly, or do you just tie the ends of the rain fly to the trees? I can see the advantages of hanging the fly independent of the hammock and I'm trying to figure out the best way to do it. I have concerns that the rain fly might sag too much in the middle without a ridgeline for support.

Images
    On my tarp I just tie the corners to the tree without support down the length. It doesn't sag, but that could be because it has those fancy cuts that make it not square, but curved on the edges. Catenary cut maybe? I preffer this becauce I would be afraid that since you hang the tarp the same most of the time, the same part of the tarp would always rub on the rope running down the middle. This could wear holes easier and weaken the tarp. Friction bad.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TeeDee View Post
    I use a full length ridgeline cord of Spyderline. I keep it in the snake skin with the tarp. I use a micro biner clipped to a bowline on one end and a Figure 9 gizmo on the other end. The tarp ridgeline is attached to the cord with Prussik loops so that I can center and tighten easily. The biner, Figure 9 and Prussik loops make hanging the tarp an easy task that takes as much time as it takes to walk from one tree to the second tree. Even when it's very windy.

I use the full ridgeline cord for another reason also, I then have the full line for emergency line when and if I need it. That way I don't have to carry emergency line with no other purpose.
    I use a ridgeline on the stock HH tarp, as it seems to then hang with a much tighter appearance. Although, this is with the tarp attached to the ridgeline as originally designed. It might not be needed if attached to trees.. I have a truckers hitch in the line. After I have adjusted the tarp on the hammock suspension spectra rope in the normal Hennessy fashion, then I tighten up the extra ridgeline, and then things are much improved re: tight pitch. Though I probably won't bother unles it is windy or stormy.

If I use my MacCat, no extra ridgeline is needed, though I am attached to trees. It might be if I tried to attach to the suspension spectra.

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Undershaft View Post
    When you hang the rain fly (or tarp) independent of the hammock do you use a ridgeline running the long axis of the fly and tied off to the trees to support the rain fly, or do you just tie the ends of the rain fly to the trees? I can see the advantages of hanging the fly independent of the hammock and I'm trying to figure out the best way to do it. I have concerns that the rain fly might sag too much in the middle without a ridgeline for support.
    I don't use a ridgeline to support my tarp, but will be adding a non-structural ridgeline on my hammock for utility's sake. If you pull your tarp taught, you shouldn't have any major sag issues along the long axis of your tarp. A lot of folks here are using http://www.niteize.com the Niteize Figure 9 to tension their tarps. I got mine a couple weeks ago, and have set my trap up with them to see how well I like them and think they're great! Lots of people had them at the April SEHHA Hangout in Hot Springs. Very cool little gizmo for next to nothing, I think they cost $ 2 apiece at REI.
    Last edited by Hooch; 05-02-2007 at 02:42. Reason: I before E exept after C
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Images
    I have a MacCat Deluxe and do not use a ridgeline. I have ~ 15' of spectra on either end of the tarp with a niteize figure 9 gizmo. The tarp stays taunt, although, I like TeeDees idea. BD
    Just Jeff made me do it

Images
    I do not use a ridgeline on my tarp. I am using a Cat tarp. I did not use it when I was using the stock HH tarp either. The material in the tarp works good enough for me.

Having the tarp seperate allows you to set it up first and take it down last in the rain. Allowing you to keep everything dry and in the pack when the tarp is not up. It also allows you to set it up fast during the day if you want a quick break from the rain or sun.

I have also ran into problems with tarp tension when it was attached to the ridgeline. When the hammock would sag, the tarp would get extra slack and flap in the wind. Tieing it up seperately makes it independent of the tree.

That's just what works for me. Try all the options and decide for yourself.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    JRB 10X11, MacCat
    Insulation
    Snugfit, 2 JRBs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird Dog View Post
    I have a MacCat Deluxe and do not use a ridgeline. I have ~ 15' of spectra on either end of the tarp with a niteize figure 9 gizmo. The tarp stays taunt, although, I like TeeDees idea. BD
    Do you use the small or large figure 9 gizmo?
    MQ

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I use the small ones.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    I use the small ones.
    Me too, neither. Hm.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Images
    I also use the small ones. BD
    Just Jeff made me do it

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast