Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Images
    yes, but like cf pointed out, a ridgeline on a bridge would be longer than the fabric of the hammock but still define the sag. it would also be possible to have a structural ridgeline on an end-gathered design that would be longer than the fabric also, the ridgeline would just have to be a couple feet higher. (farther up the support ropes).
    Last edited by warbonnetguy; 03-27-2008 at 11:47.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    yes, but like cf pointed out, a ridgeline on a bridge would be longer than the fabric of the hammock but still define the sag. it would also be possible to have a structural ridgeline on an end-gathered design that would be longer than the fabric also, the ridgeline would just have to be a couple feet higher. (farther up the support ropes).
    Those are certainly valid points. Have a better-worded definition that encompases those exceptions?
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Images
    sure, how bout: Structural Ridgeline - A ridge cord that exists between the ends of the hammock, whereby when the hammock is attached to a pair of trees a certain minimum sag is maintained in the fabric no matter how tightly the suspension is drawn. such a ridgeline has the ability to take some of the load of the user and because of this should be made from as low stretch material as possible.

isn't there already a definition in the glossary here somewhere ?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
    Any particular reason for the interest in the legal issues and how the specific wording is interpreted... your questions sound like something someone trying to defend or challenge a patent might ask? Maybe you should clarify what your motives are and what you are trying to accomplish.
    Youngblood,

Several years ago I discussed "nail knots" with you on Yahoo in reference to affixing elastic cord to tarp tie-outs. Since then, I have not really checked-in on the hammock scene (I have been happily using my Hennessy).

I needed a new a hammock so I started to look around and I found this forum. I started reading, looking at JRB's Bridge hammock, reading about the controversy, and I just got interested in the topic. For me, finding ways around patents is a form of fun and that is the extent of my interest.

Thanks for all of your contributions to hammock camping. I'm thinking about buying the UQ you designed. It looks very nice!!

Regards,

Craig

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    sure, how bout: Structural Ridgeline - A ridge cord that exists between the ends of the hammock, whereby when the hammock is attached to a pair of trees a certain minimum sag is maintained in the fabric no matter how tightly the suspension is drawn. such a ridgeline has the ability to take some of the load of the user and because of this should be made from as low stretch material as possible.

isn't there already a definition in the glossary here somewhere ?
    Where is the glossary?

How about this:

Ridgeline = Structural Ridgeline = Ridge Cord: A cord affixed between at least two, preferably wholly or substantially stationary, objects. Said cord is normally affixed in a manner which provides structure to some other object.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by creekfisher View Post
    Where is the glossary?
    It's hidden away in the Articles section, here.

Also in the articles section are some DIY guides to making Bridge Hammocks, including a multipart one by TeeDee. If you like the tedium of patent circumvention, you'd probably enjoy seeing how the Bridge evolved.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    It's hidden away in the Articles section, here.

Also in the articles section are some DIY guides to making Bridge Hammocks, including a multipart one by TeeDee. If you like the tedium of patent circumvention, you'd probably enjoy seeing how the Bridge evolved.
    Thanks for the info. I would give the term ridgeline a very broad definition and then use qualifying terms to narrow the definition for specific cases.

In the following patent the term ridgeline is used to describe Hennessy's ridge cord. It looks like the person who wrote this patent feels that the two terms are synonymous.

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-P...549&RS=6701549

Regards,

Craig

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12