WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    DIY CF Asym
    Insulation
    Zpacks HGincubator
    Suspension
    Webbing

"Waistbox" - Has anyone tried one?

As a stomach sleeper, I find the indentation of the hammock really uncomfortable, which I normally resolve by stuffing a sweater under my stomach. Unfortunately that's just one more fiddle factor to deal with on restless nights. So I was thinking... why not try to make a waistbox, as opposed to a footbox? It could be built like the woodsman, with amsteel to support it rather than cloth.

So has anyone tried to build one before? How has it worked out? Any suggestions for how I should attach the amsteel to the middle of the hammock?

I cannot complete picture this, I am too a stomach sleeper but I can lay down comfortable on my back in the hammock, especially when I have xlite in there.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Here's a wild longshot. Look for Mule's posts about modifying his bridge hammock by adding side pleats.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    DIY CF Asym
    Insulation
    Zpacks HGincubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    Here's a wild longshot. Look for Mule's posts about modifying his bridge hammock by adding side pleats.
    Aren't bridges already supposed to be the best for stomach sleepers?

I thought about that design - if you pleat it lengthwise in the middle (so that it's narrower for a section in the middle) then it might work. I'll post pictures of it later.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    Here it is....Pleated Hammock....https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...AMMOCK-BY-Mule
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Reading your profile, I assume that you are talking about gathered end hammocks, not bridge hammocks. I also assume that you are talking about somehow straightening out the deepest part of a GE hammock. The only way I can see this being done realistically would be by stuffing "fillers" under your stomach, like you already do. I cannot really picture a "waistbox", but my guess is, it would increase your problems. At least the footbox creates a dip for your feet, that means it lowers the fabric and doesn't lift it. You might be able to lift the deepest part of the hammock by attaching fabric or cord left and right, and running it over the structural ridgeline to lift that area. But I imagine it would be pretty finnicky to get the right amount of tension - not talking about getting in and out of the hammock (due to the "tunnel").

I would also suggest to look into bridge hammocks. Bridge hammocks work with a different principle, which avoids or at least lessens the dip in the middle considerably.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    DIY CF Asym
    Insulation
    Zpacks HGincubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    Reading your profile, I assume that you are talking about gathered end hammocks, not bridge hammocks. I also assume that you are talking about somehow straightening out the deepest part of a GE hammock.
    Yep. I was thinking more of attaching a length of tubular webbing along the hem of the middle section of the hammock, and running some dynaglide through it and attaching it to the ends of the hammock.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhacker View Post
    Yep. I was thinking more of attaching a length of tubular webbing along the hem of the middle section of the hammock, and running some dynaglide through it and attaching it to the ends of the hammock.
    I'm not sure if the picture I have in my mind is actually what you want to do, but I still think it would be difficult to get the right amount of tension. I think what makes gathered end hammocks so comfortable is the equal amount of tension on the fabric. I tried changing the tension as well, by cutting shapes in the ends before gathering (same principle as the W-fold, but more controlled) and found that this method creates irregular tension that was uncomfortable in most cases. I often got ridges running lengthwise - my guess is, you would be getting ridges running perpendicular.

However, it is very difficult to predict hammock behavior - so just give it a go and report back. Maybe you're on to something...

• + New Posts