Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    I set mine up today to try out the "snap button" connectors (from the MustardDog stand) and to see if a WBRR would fit.

The snap buttons work great and the WBRR fits using the full 16" ridgepole.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    I set mine up today to try out the "snap button" connectors (from the MustardDog stand) and to see if a WBRR would fit.

The snap buttons work great and the WBRR fits using the full 16" ridgepole.
    After trying a different stand design and seeing the Turtle Lady, I thought it might not be portable enough for me (need something to fit in my sedan's trunk). Then, I saw this. I was able to find similar poles locally (and avoided the expensive shipping) and even picked up the snap buttons from Grainger. Everything came together PERFECTLY!

Thanks to all the individual contributors (TurtleLady, MustardMan, gmcttr, others)!
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by breyman View Post
    I was able to find similar poles locally (and avoided the expensive shipping)
    WHERE???? I was unable to find anything like this in the Denver area, and did have to pay the expensive shipping

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustardman View Post
    WHERE???? I was unable to find anything like this in the Denver area, and did have to pay the expensive shipping
    Just found a guy on Craigslist down in Co Springs. He'd had them posted since the end of September. I bought 4 sets of 12 - he must have had 30-50 sets all stacked up in his lot.

Had to spend the gas to drive from Highlands Ranch, but that was still WAY cheaper than shipping on 50 of those poles.

Edit: I have one extra set - all drilled and with the snap buttons (that you recommended) installed and ready to use for a single turtledog stand. If you're interested I can sell to you pretty much at my cost. PM if you need any more.
    Brian
    Denver, CO

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Here's a good ebay seller that I bought another set of aluminum poles from at a better total price than my first set...deagle1969 (thanks to mattyg). I picked up a set of 12 plus a set of 4 for $72 with combined shipping and the carry bag.

The seller went way "above and beyond" to take care of a small problem I had and I recommend them.
    Last edited by gmcttr; 11-08-2012 at 01:51.

Hammock
    WBRR & WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom Old Man Win
    Insulation
    My fat butt
    Suspension
    My kids
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    Here's a good ebay seller that I bought another set of aluminum poles from at a better total price than my first set...deagle1969 (thanks to mattyg). I picked up a set of 12 plus a set of 4 for $72 with combined shipping.

The seller went way "above and beyond" to take care of a small problem I had and I recommend them.
    After contacting an ebay seller directly, he sold me 16 poles for $54.99 shipped. The poles worked great for me and he would pass on this deal to other people as well. If you would like a bag with it it would be $5 more.

Their ebay name is little_apple_liquidation and their email is [email protected]

I just want to make it clear that I am not connected anyway with this seller, just passing on a deal.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by lubbockhammockguy View Post
    After contacting an ebay seller directly, he sold me 16 poles for $54.99 shipped...If you would like a bag with it it would be $5 more...
    Mine did include the bag but you've got the best price so far. These are now down to a vary reasonable cost for a stand.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Hammockgear
    Insulation
    Te-Wa & JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Thanks gmcttr and lubbock

I just contacted joshua for the poles. Now I just got to comb through the thread to find out how to connect the Tri-pod together. Any quick tips would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by georgemaung View Post
    Thanks gmcttr and lubbock

I just contacted joshua for the poles. Now I just got to comb through the thread to find out how to connect the Tri-pod together. Any quick tips would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    Personally, I found it easiest to do two things. First, I lash the three poles together to make the top of the tripod. Pretty much like gmcttr did, in the picture below (his picture, not mine). Some may drill holes and use hardware, but I like the lashings because it requires one less set of holes and is super easy to remove, adjust, etc. It also provides more flexibility in exactly where the tripod legs are at, so I can move based on terrain.

Then, I used the snap buttons recommended by MustardMan so that the poles don't slip apart when lifting the legs up or moving the cross beam around. You can buy them pretty cheaply (about $7 for a set of 10) from Grainger. I then used a drill press to drill the holes (9/32 holes to be exact). The setup works absolutely beautifully. See pictures below.
    http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg...rue&sst=subset
    (item number 3DPZ8)

Hope that helps.

Brian
    Denver, CO

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by georgemaung View Post
    ...Now I just got to comb through the thread to find out how to connect the Tri-pod together. Any quick tips would be appreciated...
    Quote Originally Posted by breyman View Post
    Personally, I found it easiest to do two things. First, I lash the three poles together to make the top of the tripod............ I then used a drill press to drill the holes (9/32 holes to be exact)...
    Here's a video on tripod lashing...just leave the three sections lashed together when you take it down.

I used a slightly smaller 17/64" bit to drill for the snap buttons. If you are going to use the snaps, be sure to set up a jig for drilling so they are all the same and interchangeable.
    Attached Images Attached Images

• + New Posts
  • Page 68 of 85 FirstFirst ... 1858666768697078 ... LastLast