Page 14 of 38 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Tall View Post
    Thanks! Its not the best up close. Afew rookie mistakes but Its mine and iy works. hahah

I used back and front panels like the others did. the front panels from one jacket went on.the left and the others on.the right of the back panels. This made the pockets so that the wpuld be oriented and in about arms reach if I was to need them. I then took the zippers,backer and pocket off the one side amd just sewed the holes remaing together. I the had planned on having two pockets on my right side but wasnt happy with the weight so I decided to taper the quilt. And with that lost another one. They panels look off set to keep the width to the one side for the pockets. I mocked the measurements of one I have and liked and used a white fabric pencil and a big rule/straight edge to make my lines. I then sewed two rows about and 1/8" apart and cut between them. Do the cutting out side :-) . It is a little messy but not catastrophic. Use some packing tape or masking tape on the edges after you cut them. this will keep down any floaties and such that may be from the cutting. do a clen job and it will look just like a grosgrain egde.you can just sewn your grosgrain over it too if youd like. Then its a matter of shockord and your preference of suspension.

My current step is I cut a head hole in the middle and sewn union tape to make a closeable hole. I placed more union tape in a few choice places and now have a pretty sweet wrap around poncho/vest. Thats uses the shockord to cinch at bottom. Its just for the spring/summer cool mornings or nights if need be. Very minimal weight added. you could add or bring some sleeves too. The ones included dont work so well for me. Theyll be a later projectn I have a
    some from Lukes UL I like better.
    Did you separate all sides and backs? Or basically rip the sleeves, zippers and shoulders and join the two jackets at their bottoms and leave the flank stitch that holds the sides to the back piece intact? Then cut to shape?

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Insulation
    UGQ 0° UQ
    Suspension
    amsteel mishmash
    Quote Originally Posted by packeagle View Post
    Love the design.

I don't see this as a good stand alone because in the summer when the quilt would be sufficient, the jacket would be too warm. In the winter where the doubled jacket would warm enough the quilt would be too cold.

This would however make a great supplement to a winter UQ.
    Exactly what I was thinking. I think it may get used more as a winter top quilt for me since that is what would fit my gear need right now.

It can't hurt to have the ability to use it as a really warm jacket even in the summer though. You never know when you might end up uncomfortably cold. We hike to the top of our local mountain and camp at the bottom and it would be about right as a jacket up top.
    Last edited by ~Reason~; 01-29-2013 at 00:46.
    ~ʎpuıɔ~
    If you teach a child to reason they'll think for a lifetime.
    2019 Great Pumpkin https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/154092-NH-gt-Alexandria-NH-gt-Oct-11-13-2019-gt-Great-Pumpkin-Hang

Hammock
    11'ers, playing with wider options
    Tarp
    HG4S, Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG Custom, EE
    Suspension
    Whoops, Dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammonkey View Post
    Did you separate all sides and backs? Or basically rip the sleeves, zippers and shoulders and join the two jackets at their bottoms and leave the flank stitch that holds the sides to the back piece intact? Then cut to shape?
    Yes I separated everything. Backs, sides, fronts,collars, sleeves, shoulders, zippers and three pockets. I used same pieces ARTJRK used only I would have put both orange and black on the same sides to keep the pockets oriented the right way...or usable when the quilt was hanging. I put the three pieces together then I sewed all the bottoms to one another. I removed that stretchy trim they had on there too btw. I trimmed the odd pieces on each end to form a more sqaured shape. .....Now you can fold these in like others to help with a draft collar or use the actual collars plus some other piece to make draft colllars if so desired and tuck them under your head and foot grosgrain once your all done hacking.

Hammock
    11'ers, playing with wider options
    Tarp
    HG4S, Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG Custom, EE
    Suspension
    Whoops, Dutch
    Its hard to find a good photographer at this hour. Haha.

Early stages of the wearable quilt. Still has some bugs but easily fixed. more to follow.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 2Tall; 01-29-2013 at 02:01.

Nice name tag. Greetings fellow Ben.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    HBO Hilton
    Insulation
    HBO Penny Puffer
    Suspension
    Tree Huggers
    Getting a little closer. We have the 8 sleeves gone for the 2 quilts. I removed part of the zipper but left as much as I could so that I wil have a good service to sew the gross grain ribbon to for the suspension channel. Below are some more pics. All sleeves except for 2 were completely sticked. The one in the pic had a few missed spots which let to my first loss of down.

The pics are from mine that is made out of the 2 4XL's they only had 1 green and 1 orange in the 4XL. but I love the thoughts of the checkerboard pattern. My wifes will be solid orange made from 3XL's I will post pics of her's as well from time to time.

We are trying to get them finished for this weekend. Low is supposed to be 32 so I will report back on how cold I get.

Hammock
    DIY Hammocks
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I picked up 4 today at the Huntsville, AL store for $14 each in 3XL. Two Black, 2 Blue.

I have already built and tested two IX Underquilts (worked at 35 degrees F, had slight CBS at 32 degrees the next night - about 4:30 AM). A HotHand to the area took care of the issue and I quickly fell back asleep. (I had my sitting pad under my feet and could have moved that since my feet were toasty.)

For Alabama, the Insultex will work in most conditions. We don't get a lot of days below freezing.

Since my top cover is a 30 degree synthetic Slumberjack and a fleece liner, a top quilt made from puffer jackets will be a good upgrade for my son and me.

Thanks for the ideas. I have two more sacrificial jackets, a Target jacket with down (unknown type) and a Lady's old REI goose down jacket. Eventually these may be recycled to where I have some combination of top and UQ. Originally, I thought of opening the old jackets to harvest the down, but I will now rethink that approach after seeing this project.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    HBO Hilton
    Insulation
    HBO Penny Puffer
    Suspension
    Tree Huggers
    Here is the progress as of last night (1AM). I measured all the pannels and then cut them out so that I could move it around to check out different desins and I believe that I narrowed down to the one shown below. I have all the panels seperated on both jackets and with this layout I have 2 front panels left. I am thinking about adding a couple of button loops out of the elastic waistline that I removed so that I can add and remove the extra panels from the middle region for a little added butt warmth or removed if it is warm out. I rotated the jackets so that the down will not slide down to the bottom during the night. Squaring off the corners tonight and hoefully start putting it all back together tomorrow. :-)

Hammock
    DIY dbl.layer
    Tarp
    DIY camo semi-cat
    Insulation
    DIY IX-UQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Reason~ View Post
    . . . just looks like two jackets under the hammock. In this pic the black one is wrong side out so when you fold them together to wear they are both the right way. . .
    Congrats! THAT IS A SLICK IDEA!!!

Now if you can come up with an equally-slick way to attach suspension points to the corners, you'll have the total package. Maybe when doubled-up and worn as a jacket, these points could lock together to keep the two layers aligned? Maybe double-sided velcro that would lock to itself for suspension, or to the other tab for a jacket???

-Klauss
    My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/rexmichaelson

"But hey, 2 trees anywhere is a bedroom waiting to happen, right?"

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    NeoAir LT / DIY UQ
    Suspension
    WB webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Honey Badger! View Post
    I am thinking about adding a couple of button loops out of the elastic waistline that I removed so that I can add and remove the extra panels from the middle region for a little added butt warmth or removed if it is warm out. I rotated the jackets so that the down will not slide down to the bottom during the night. Squaring off the corners tonight and hoefully start putting it all back together tomorrow. :-)
    Nice work! I like the double middle. I doubt you would even need that to be removeable. Not much more weight, just a bit of "overfill" where it is needed most to make up for the sew-through design.

Did you have any issues removing the elastic waistline. I seemed to have a little leakage from the side when approaching that area so I didn't even try and remove it.

I may try and follow your approach for a gathered end UQ after I finish my bridge UQ.

• + New Posts
  • Page 14 of 38 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast